Silver to $250 an oz...

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

LOL that's dumb.
Care to explain? Or is that the best response you can come up with?

Remember, you will be paying capital gains taxes on your "investments" since the brokerages report that information to the IRS.

LOL that's dumb.
Care to explain? Or is that the best response you can come up with?

Remember, you will be paying capital gains taxes on your "investments" since the brokerages report that information to the IRS.

You'll never get market value. In all honesty, this is very much a herd mentality. This is Niketalk, I doubt TOO MANY people have sound investment advice. Silver might be a decent bet, but you aren't going to make any real coin (lol) if you are looking for a get rich quick scheme. The time to invest was two years ago.

You'll never get market value. In all honesty, this is very much a herd mentality. This is Niketalk, I doubt TOO MANY people have sound investment advice. Silver might be a decent bet, but you aren't going to make any real coin (lol) if you are looking for a get rich quick scheme. The time to invest was two years ago.

You don't buy PM's to "get rich".  You buy PM's to protect your purchasing power. 

Sound investment advice?  Like financial advisors that are telling people to stay invested in stocks right now even though we are heading for a recession?

Tell me what has had better returns over the past 10 years?  The stock market or pm's. 

They are already talking about QE3. 

You don't buy PM's to "get rich".  You buy PM's to protect your purchasing power. 

Sound investment advice?  Like financial advisors that are telling people to stay invested in stocks right now even though we are heading for a recession?

Tell me what has had better returns over the past 10 years?  The stock market or pm's. 

@cguy610

i came into this thread late and didnt read the earlier pages.

so when yall are talkin about investing in silver or other PM's, are you talking about stockpiling actual bullion as opposed to buying PM backed securities of some sorts?

@cguy610

so when yall are talkin about investing in silver or other PM's, are you talking about stockpiling actual bullion as opposed to buying PM backed securities of some sorts?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

@cguy610

Yea, actual bullion.   It's funny that I had just typed that message and a guy on CNN was just talking about how people should stay in stocks right now. 
laugh.gif

@cguy610

Yea, actual bullion.   It's funny that I had just typed that message and a guy on CNN was just talking about how people should stay in stocks right now. 
laugh.gif

Seriously if you have the actual physical metals, how do you sell them at market value? Where?

and, for those with an investment what is your exit strategy? I have bad credit I can't even make a Scottstrade account, but I have a good amount of money in the bank now and my credit will be fine soon. Looking to make investments by the new year.

I'm not sure where u might sell them, but I live in NYC so I there are quite a few places I can go to... Find dealers in your area. Most likely if there selling PMs they'll buy too... I don't have any credit nor do I plan on ever needing it... Credit = debtMy exit strategy ain't in sight... The dollar must collapse and we have sometime before this occurs.. I'm stacking until I can't possibly put anymore in my safe.. And if I have more fiat , I'll buy another safe

Seriously if you have the actual physical metals, how do you sell them at market value? Where?

and, for those with an investment what is your exit strategy? I have bad credit I can't even make a Scottstrade account, but I have a good amount of money in the bank now and my credit will be fine soon. Looking to make investments by the new year.

I'm not sure where u might sell them, but I live in NYC so I there are quite a few places I can go to... Find dealers in your area. Most likely if there selling PMs they'll buy too... I don't have any credit nor do I plan on ever needing it... Credit = debtMy exit strategy ain't in sight... The dollar must collapse and we have sometime before this occurs.. I'm stacking until I can't possibly put anymore in my safe.. And if I have more fiat , I'll buy another safe

Originally Posted by cguy610

@cguy610

laugh.gif

there are always gonna be at ms that'll be ok but the majority are looking for max gains in the shortest period which leads to people staying in too long... If I had the patience and mental toughness for stocks I'd be a daytrader... But I caNt afford to lose Nothing right now

@cguy610

laugh.gif

there are always gonna be at ms that'll be ok but the majority are looking for max gains in the shortest period which leads to people staying in too long... If I had the patience and mental toughness for stocks I'd be a daytrader... But I caNt afford to lose Nothing right now

Why silver and not gold?

Silver is a true industrial commodity. If the global economy stalls then silver will go down right with it. It's also a market that can be much easier to manipulate as opposed to the gold market.

If you're strictly going off of the gold:silver ratio, I'd be weary as well because that has constantly changed throughout history. You'll have decades and even centuries where the ratio is much higher than at other times.
If you want to play Fiat currency depreciation than gold is the way to go. Silver is a good play for timing recessions and booms because it reacts much quicker and with much more volatility. 

Why silver and not gold?

Silver is a true industrial commodity. If the global economy stalls then silver will go down right with it. It's also a market that can be much easier to manipulate as opposed to the gold market.

If you're strictly going off of the gold:silver ratio, I'd be weary as well because that has constantly changed throughout history. You'll have decades and even centuries where the ratio is much higher than at other times.
If you want to play Fiat currency depreciation than gold is the way to go. Silver is a good play for timing recessions and booms because it reacts much quicker and with much more volatility. 

I want to preface by saying that I am fairly ignorant when it comes to this stuff, so any insight will help.

^^ is my goal.  I'm not trying to make a killing (although that would be nice) I am just trying to protect my purchasing power.

I've been trying to build up a decent savings cushion of about $50K to get me through a "worst case scenario" like if either my wife or I got laid off, unemployment ran out, and we had not found other employment yet.  The problem is, I dont want that cash cushion to effectively be whittled away due to growing inflation or currency devaluation.  I would like to keep it in something fairly liquid so I can easily convert to money to pay bills or what not if I ran into a "worst case scenario".

My concern about stockpiling bullion is the liability of being robbed.  Even though I live in a relatively safe area, I don't know if I would be fully comfortable knowing that I have a small stack of PM's stashed away in some safe thats in my closet.  I would rather have peace of mind if that bullion could be stored and insured by a 3rd party, even if that means there is some overhead/fees involved.

Am I being too paranoid or short sighted? 

I want to preface by saying that I am fairly ignorant when it comes to this stuff, so any insight will help.

^^ is my goal.  I'm not trying to make a killing (although that would be nice) I am just trying to protect my purchasing power.

I've been trying to build up a decent savings cushion of about $50K to get me through a "worst case scenario" like if either my wife or I got laid off, unemployment ran out, and we had not found other employment yet.  The problem is, I dont want that cash cushion to effectively be whittled away due to growing inflation or currency devaluation.  I would like to keep it in something fairly liquid so I can easily convert to money to pay bills or what not if I ran into a "worst case scenario".

My concern about stockpiling bullion is the liability of being robbed.  Even though I live in a relatively safe area, I don't know if I would be fully comfortable knowing that I have a small stack of PM's stashed away in some safe thats in my closet.  I would rather have peace of mind if that bullion could be stored and insured by a 3rd party, even if that means there is some overhead/fees involved.

Nope.  You want balance.  You need to have liquid cash/money just in case of at least $5-10K.  You can put the PM's in a bank safety deposit box if that makes you more comfortable.  You can also open a brokerage account and buy into the exchange traded funds that track gold and silver (GLD and SLV).  This will allow you to sell at any time.  However, you are not really protected against a total financial collapse in which your broker goes under. 

Or you can keep the pm's in your home and make sure they are covered in your homeowner's insurance policy.

Nope.  You want balance.  You need to have liquid cash/money just in case of at least $5-10K.  You can put the PM's in a bank safety deposit box if that makes you more comfortable.  You can also open a brokerage account and buy into the exchange traded funds that track gold and silver (GLD and SLV).  This will allow you to sell at any time.  However, you are not really protected against a total financial collapse in which your broker goes under. 

Or you can keep the pm's in your home and make sure they are covered in your homeowner's insurance policy.

^ why gold and not platinum?

For one, it doesn't have Gold's history. Which counts for a lot. 

For another, there's too little platinum. It's impractical as a form of (even) stored money. It'd be a very illiquid market. 

People like gold because if it's liquidity, cap on inflation (it actually takes labor and capital costs to produce more), and indestructibility.

Back
Top Bottom