Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Originally Posted by franchise3

Was Gilbert when he bolted GSW?
Gilbert has nothing to do with this discussion

Are you trying to tell me Monta Ellis is a franchise player ?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by WILLINC

franchise3 wrote:

nerd.gif

We're about to find out in the upcoming season.

But what exactly is your point? Should the Warriors not have signed Monta?

I can cope with a franchise player making 11m or so. Especially since Maggette/Jackson/Harrington are all within a mil or two of it.

Not like we gave him $15m per year. He's 22, we'll find out in the next years how much he can improve.

He shocked the hell out of me going into last year, I didn't think he'd be as good as he was. I figured he'd hit the ceiling in terms of ability,and I can admit I was way off.

nerd.gif

No the simple reasoning is that Gilbert turned into a franchise player after he left the warriors, but everyone who watched the warriors knew he wasspecial with Gil when he played his 2nd year with the warriors. Same way we feel about Monta. I dont know why your laughing, hes going to be a very goodplayer.

nerd.gif

My point was, you can't really tell if a certain player is a 'franchise' player after like 2-3 years in a league. Not everybody is a Lebronright out the gate.

All you can do is, evaluate their play and then proceed accordingly.

Monta's situation is similar to GA's situation when he was on GSW.

2nd round pick, came sorta outta nowhere and started balling. As a result, garnered a lot of interest, and eventually got paid.

Monta last year was one of the top guards in the league. How much of it is being part of a 'system' or how much of it is actuallyskill/progression?

You pay to find out, as opposed to letting him walk and have it blow up in your face down the road.

I mean, a lot of these guys are going to get paid roughly in the same ballpark, anyway. Josh Smith, AI2, etc. Who's really a 'franchise'player among these guys?

I agree he is a nice player, but in no way should he be associated with the term franchise player right now

If he continues to improve and in a couple of years proves to be a franchise player, i got no problem with it.

And yea they should have signed him, i got no problem with the deal he got.

The Lakers offered Vujacic a three-year deal worth about $12 million, a salary that would pay him $4 million per season. Vujacic, 24, is seeking a deal that will pay him between $5 million and $6 million per season, similar to what Jason Kapono (four years, $24 million from Toronto), James Posey (four years, $25 million from New Orleans) and Mickael Pietrus (four years, $25.1 million from Orlando) got. Press-Enterprise
Just pay the man!! It's not like he's asking for the entire cow, we're talking about 1-2 million difference.
Lakers are going to raise the tickets sales every year anyway.

It's yet to be seen if Monta's a franchise player, but the Warriors (and a lot of us) have confidence he will become one...his contract is not bad atall, and hopefully he hasn't peaked yet and will continue to improve.

For now, Monta is the Warriors franchise player. He might not be a franchise player compared with the likes of Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, CP3, but he's theWarriors franchise player and they can't afford to to not sign him.

Co-sign with what other Warrior fans have said.

I'd say almost every team has a "Franchise" player... and that "Franchise" player isn't along the lines of a LeBron, Duncan, Kobe,etc. You have OKC with Kevin Durant, Portland with Brandon Roy, Sacramento with Kevin Martin, and Minnesota with Al Jefferson. Just a few examples. These guysare young, really good players, and still have room to grow. Their respective teams see that and are building around that specific player.

Maurice Evans to Atlanta now. I guess they called as soon as Childress bolted and offered him more money than GSW was offering.

Good signing, I suppose. Better defender and outside shooter than Childress, honestly. And cheaper...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/07/25/hawks_childress_evans.html

The Hawks didn't waste any time filling the void left by Josh Childress, who signed a three-year deal with a Greek team Wednesday.
Journeyman Maurice Evans has agreed to terms with the Hawks on a three-year deal believed to be worth about $7.5 million, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation.

Evans was reportedly close to signing a three-year deal with Golden State on Wednesday, one California newspaper reported.

But that was before Childress bolted for the Euro league and before the Warriors decided to match a three-year, $9 million offer sheet to their own restricted free agent swingman, Kelena Azubuike, from the Los Angeles Clippers Thursday.

Evans, a six-year veteran, started 47 games last season for Orlando, the Hawks' Southeast Division rival, including all 10 playoff games against Toronto and Detroit for the division champs.

He could slide into the sixth-man spot vacated when Childress opted for a deal with Greek power Olympiakos.

Evans, a 6-foot-5, 220-pound swingman, averaged 9.3 points and 3.1 rebounds in 68 games last season after being traded to Orlando from the Los Angeles Lakers.

Evans, 29, has a reputation as a tenacious perimeter defender and opportunistic offensive threat. He's a career 37 percent shooter from beyond the 3-point line, and averaged a career-high 9.3 points last season.

nerd.gif

My point was, you can't really tell if a certain player is a 'franchise' player after like 2-3 years in a league. Not everybody is a Lebron right out the gate.

2nd round pick, came sorta outta nowhere and started balling. As a result, garnered a lot of interest, and eventually got paid.

Monta last year was one of the top guards in the league. How much of it is being part of a 'system' or how much of it is actually skill/progression?

You pay to find out, as opposed to letting him walk and have it blow up in your face down the road.

I mean, a lot of these guys are going to get paid roughly in the same ballpark, anyway. Josh Smith, AI2, etc. Who's really a 'franchise' player among these guys?
I wouldn't say out of nowhere. He was just totally slept on. I mean, he was a 1st team All-American coming out of high school. I think a lot ofGMs just compared him to Bassy because of size and speed, and that he didn't exactly show that he could shoot. But, when you're destroying competitionand getting to the tin at will in HS why would you want to settle for a jumper? There was just some serious miscalculations when he was scouted. BTW, how areGerald Green and Martell Webster faring compared to Monta?

Originally Posted by tupac003

Yesterday that talk was put on hold - for at least a day - as the Sixers reached an agreement with free-agent guard Royal Ivey. The 6-foot-4 player from the University of Texas was Atlanta's second-round pick, the 37th overall, in 2004. He played three seasons with the Hawks before playing last season - his most productive - with the Milwaukee Bucks, averaging 5.6 points, 2.1 assists, 1.6 rebounds and 19.2 minutes. Philadelphia Inquirer

Im glad they signed Royal, he still needs to work on his shot, but he is a decent ball handler and an excellent defender.

im not just saying that cuz he's my cousin.

insert Hakim Warrick dunking on Royal in the Syracuse Texas Nat'l Championship game
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I always ask him about it.

"Man they called a charge" ( smirk)
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

nerd.gif

My point was, you can't really tell if a certain player is a 'franchise' player after like 2-3 years in a league. Not everybody is a Lebron right out the gate.

Monta last year was one of the top guards in the league. How much of it is being part of a 'system' or how much of it is actually skill/progression?

I mean, a lot of these guys are going to get paid roughly in the same ballpark, anyway. Josh Smith, AI2, etc. Who's really a 'franchise' player among these guys?
I wouldn't say out of nowhere. He was just totally slept on. I mean, he was a 1st team All-American coming out of high school. I think a lot of GMs just compared him to Bassy because of size and speed, and that he didn't exactly show that he could shoot. But, when you're destroying competition and getting to the tin at will in HS why would you want to settle for a jumper? There was just some serious miscalculations when he was scouted. BTW, how are Gerald Green and Martell Webster faring compared to Monta?

True.

But nobody really expected him to be this good so fast.

All I know is, the Rockets could have picked Ellis, just like a lot of teams could have.

Instead, we went with Luther Head.
laugh.gif
tired.gif

So who is gonna be the first true American superstar to head to Europe ?

If you HAD to pick a superstar that would go to Europe, it would have to be Wade. Lebron and Carmelo are making too much money here already withendorsements alone. Plus, he's the only one with a ring out of those players (including Bosh). I don't think Converse is just going to give him Lebrontype money
laugh.gif
, so he would be the one more likely to leave.

Josh messed up hes still getting paid in USD.

Thats flat out dumb....

I would take 5 million less go get paid in the euro because it will be double the value of the Dollar soon.

[h1]Jazz match offer for G Miles[/h1]
3 minutes ago

• [h5][/h5] Buzz Up
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

SALT LAKE CITY (TICKER) -The Utah Jazz on Friday exercised their first right of refusal on the contract of guard C.J. Miles, matching the offer he signed with Oklahoma City last week.

Terms were not disclosed, but multiple sources indicated Miles inked a four-year, $15 million deal with the franchise formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics.

But Utah, which had seven days to match the offer under the terms of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, decided to retain the 6-6 guard after the Salt Lake Tribune reported last week that Miles was given a vote of confidence from Jazz star guard Deron Williams, who also inked a lucrative contract extension this offseason.

Miles, who was the 34th player chosen in the 2005 draft, averaged 5.0 points and 1.3 rebounds in 60 games with the Jazz last season. In three campaigns with Utah, the 21-year-old has appeared in 120 games, averaging 4.0 points and 1.3 rebounds.

I honestly did not think they would match. I even took dude out my sig. I'm glad he's back, but I would like to see Mo play some moretime. Fesenko and Koufos aren't that great. i've watched the summer league here and neither are that impressive.

Originally Posted by Verdykt

[h1]Jazz match offer for G Miles[/h1]
3 minutes ago

• [h5][/h5]Buzz Up
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

SALT LAKE CITY (TICKER) -The Utah Jazz on Friday exercised their first right of refusal on the contract of guard C.J. Miles, matching the offer he signed with Oklahoma City last week.

Terms were not disclosed, but multiple sources indicated Miles inked a four-year, $15 million deal with the franchise formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics.

But Utah, which had seven days to match the offer under the terms of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, decided to retain the 6-6 guard after the Salt Lake Tribune reported last week that Miles was given a vote of confidence from Jazz star guard Deron Williams, who also inked a lucrative contract extension this offseason.

Miles, who was the 34th player chosen in the 2005 draft, averaged 5.0 points and 1.3 rebounds in 60 games with the Jazz last season. In three campaigns with Utah, the 21-year-old has appeared in 120 games, averaging 4.0 points and 1.3 rebounds.
I honestly did not think they would match. I even took dude out my sig. I'm glad he's back, but I would like to see Mo play some more time. Fesenko and Koufos aren't that great. i've watched the summer league here and neither are that impressive.

Wow, that's a hefty deal for CJ.

Back
Top Bottom