Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

1) as long as Kwame Brown ain't in my city when I get back to maybe purchase season tickets, then
pimp.gif

2)
eek.gif
at Rush being considered a vet, always thought dude was gonna takeoff
ohwell.gif

How can you say Kwame Brown has a bigger ceiling? He's been in the league how many years? He's played in how many games? How much has he accomplishedup to now?

Turiaf has limited experience as a starter and in most of the games he's been in, he's been able to fulfill his role and what's asked of him. Givehim the opportunities that Kwame Brown has squandered and he's bound to do a whole lot better in less time.

"How much has he accomplished?" is not a question of his ceiling, bro.

"How much could he accomplish?" is a question about his ceiling.

And I'm not some NBA talent scout (obviously
laugh.gif
). I'm just saying that I have never said that I hated his game because he's terrible and I seenothing in him; rather, I can't stand his game because he's terrible and I see so much to show that he could be great.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

laugh.gif
). I'm just saying that I have never said that I hated his game because he's terrible and I see nothing in him; rather, I can't stand his game because he's terrible and I see so much to show that he could be great.

This is singlehandedly the hardest post I've ever tried to understand while on NikeTalk.

And I still don't understand.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif
). I'm just saying that I have never said that I hated his game because he's terrible and I see nothing in him; rather, I can't stand his game because he's terrible and I see so much to show that he could be great.

This is singlehandedly the hardest post I've ever tried to understand while on NikeTalk.

nerd.gif
I keep re-reading it myself. Can hating his game and"can't stand" his game be almost the same?
laugh.gif
I dounderstand the part about you see so much to show that he could be great rather than seeing nothing him though.

The way I see it, Boston is the team to beat in the East.

When Detroit faced Boston, we really had no answer for Perkins size and physical play...

Kwame at worst has 6 fouls to give and he knows how to make them count.

Try to look at it like this....Detroit is paying Amir Johnson 3.6 million per year, so giving Kwame 4 million isn't that bad of a deal.

^^^ That is true , but at least with Amir Johnson people still believe he has a chance and has shown some flashes of being able to play, albeit with limitedminutes. Kwame is now on his 4th team and sadly I do not think he will ever put it together. He is the walking sports cliche "looks like Tarzan but playslike Jane".

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif

nerd.gif
I keep re-reading it myself. Can hating his game and "can't stand" his game be almost the same?
laugh.gif
I do understand the part about you see so much to show that he could be great rather than seeing nothing him though.
Nah, 'hate' and 'can't stand' are different in my world, too. But 'hate' was used in the part that I said I'venever said; 'can't stand' was used in the part that I said I've always said.

But that's not important anyways, because the main point I was making, you go it.
wink.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kwame starting opposite Sheed, with McDyess going back to the 6th man spot. Defensively, he'll be reliable against theEast's big men, Howard, KG, EB, etc. However, Dumars might have something else in mind with this signing.

Kwame's Washington days are nothing to write home about but then again he did come out of high school. With the Lakers and the triangle o, maybe thatstunted his growth as well. Turiaf is effective but he's cut from the same cloth as Landry, Maxiel, Millsap, and a couple of these other energy guys moreor less, whereas Kwame has a wider skillset. Dude may never develop into the type of player everybody thought he would but, he definitely has a higher ceilingthen Turiaf.

Ps - This dude Okafor hit the lottery. 6 years $72M. Probably incentive laced like Bogut and Biedrins though. But still.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Kwame's Washington days are nothing to write home about but then again he did come out of high school. With the Lakers and the triangle o, maybe that stunted his growth as well. Turiaf is effective but he's cut from the same cloth as Landry, Maxiel, Millsap, and a couple of these other energy guys more or less, whereas Kwame has a wider skillset. Dude may never develop into the type of player everybody thought he would but, he definitely has a higher ceiling then Turiaf.

Ps - This dude Okafor hit the lottery. 6 years $72M. Probably incentive laced like Bogut and Biedrins though. But still.

It could be a precursor to a sign-and-trade.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

Ricky D aint that bad his attitude is another story though. I'm excited about him coming off our bench.

you are excited for ANYBODY the clippers sign...

get off my daddy sack and worry about azibooty you LAME

Originally Posted by franchise3

Kwame's Washington days are nothing to write home about but then again he did come out of high school. With the Lakers and the triangle o, maybe that stunted his growth as well. Turiaf is effective but he's cut from the same cloth as Landry, Maxiel, Millsap, and a couple of these other energy guys more or less, whereas Kwame has a wider skillset. Dude may never develop into the type of player everybody thought he would but, he definitely has a higher ceiling then Turiaf.

Actually his best years came in Washington from a productivity standpoint...

The Charlotte Bobcats have agreed in principle on a six-year contract worth at least $72 million with restricted free agent Emeka Okafor.

3819.jpg

Okafor

General manager Rod Higgins confirmed the agreement Tuesday to local reporters, saying that he expects the contract to be completed "in the next few days" after an ESPN.com report said the sides had made significant progress in the past week and were on the verge of a deal.

The agreement with Okafor by far represents Charlotte's biggest expenditure on one player as the club readies for its fifth season. Okafor turned down a five-year deal with a similar $12 million annual average before last season, preferring to wait for restricted free agency.

"It was very important for us to get a deal done," Higgins told The Associated Press. "He creates a sense of security around the basket for us. He's a guy that I think his skills are still developing in a lot of ways. Having Larry [Brown] as our head coach now, Emeka will benefit having a great coach to teach him."

Okafor was the Bobcats' first-ever draft choice with the No. 2 overall pick in 2004 and was widely viewed around the league as a prime sign-and-trade candidate, on the premise that the Bobcats wouldn't spend to keep him. Charlotte raised questions about its own interest in retaining the 25-year-old Okafor by making what sources say was a five-year contract offer starting at the $5.6 million mid-level exception to veteran center DeSagana Diop early in free agency.

But Diop elected to take a similar deal from the Dallas Mavericks, while the Bobcats -- most notably new coach Brown -- kept publicly proclaiming their intention to resist any sign-and-trade interest in Okafor and eventually come to terms with their most accomplished interior force defensively.

Several top restricted free agents have endured slow-moving negotiations with their teams -- Atlanta's Josh Smith, Chicago's Luol Deng and Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala chief among them -- in a marketplace where only the Memphis Grizzlies have the salary-cap space to extend a lucrative offer sheet to Okafor and his peers in the restricted class. But Memphis has made it clear that it prefers to save its cap room for next summer.

The only other ways for top restricted free agents to create leverage -- to either secure the level of compensation they desire or force a sign-and-trade -- are by threatening to sign a one-year qualifying offer that would lead to unrestricted free agency in the summer of 2009 or by entertaining lucrative interest from overseas, as Atlanta's Josh Childress did and ultimately accepted from Greek giants Olympiacos.

It's believed that Okafor, because his salary on a one-year qualifying basis would still be a healthy $7.1 million, convinced the Bobcats he was serious about going that route. The Bobcats then could have lost Okafor without compensation next summer once he became an unrestricted free agent.

Okafor averaged 13.7 points, 10.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks last season in 33.2 minutes per game but never clicked with coach Sam Vincent, who was fired by team president and former teammate Michael Jordan after just one season. Okafor has already played for Brown on the 2004 U.S. Olympic team and has generated plenty of praise from the bench veteran lately.

"I hope that it works out because I was with him a little while and he's a terrific kid," Brown said earlier this month. "He plays a position that's very hard to find. And he's the second pick in the draft. I'm sure we'll do what's right. Hopefully he'll be here."

Although he was limited to 26 games in his second NBA season because of a persistent ankle injury, Okafor played all 82 games last season and has averaged a double-double in each of his four seasons in the league.

An annual salary of $12 million would be in line with the contract extension 2005's No. 1 overall pick Andrew Bogut received from the Milwaukee Bucks earlier this month. Bogut signed a five-year deal for $60 million with hard-to-reach incentives that, if realized, could take the overall worth of the contract past $70 million.

"It's unfortunate when people criticize our ownership," Higgins told the AP, referring to Bobcats owner Bob Johnson and suggestions that the team wouldn't spend what it took to lock up Okafor.

"Bob has been very supportive of what we want to do. Last year we brought in Jason Richardson and signed [Gerald] Wallace]. We're continuing to bring in very good talent. Securing Emeka just shows that our ownership and Bob are committed."

New Jersey Nets free agent Nenad Krstic signed a two year deal worth $3 million euros per year with Triumph Moscow early Tuesday morning, Krstic's agent, Marc Cornstein, said.

3622.jpg

Krstic

The salary is the equivalent of around $9 million per year in the United States once you factor in the exchange rate and the fact that European clubs pay all the players' taxes.

Cornstein worked until midnight Eastern time trying to find an NBA team willing to pay Krstic at least a mid-level contract to keep him in the NBA. But as the midnight deadline passed, Krstic became the sixth NBA player to recently bolt the league for Europe.

"At the end of the day, Triumph offered him the most love," Cornstein told ESPN.com. "This was too good of a deal to pass up for him."

Krstic joins Josh Childress, Bostjan Nachbar, Juan Carlos Navarro, Jorge Garbajosa, Carlos Delfino and Primoz Brezec as NBA players who opted to play for more money overseas this year. Three of the six are Cornstein clients.

Krstic was having a near All-Star season in 2007 when he injured his ACL. His comeback last season was slow and at the end of the day teams opted against offering him the contract Cornstein was seeking, a two year deal (with a player option for the third year) starting at around $5 million per season.

The interest from a relatively unknown team in Russia, Triumph, will certainly raise even more eyebrows. It's one thing when Euroleague powerhouses like Olympiacos sign Childress. But when non-Euroleague teams like Triumph start being able to outbid NBA teams ... has the pendulum swung entirely the other way?

"I think you almost have NBA teams being overly cautious at this point," one Eastern Conference GM told Insider. "With so many teams so close to the luxury tax, teams are unwilling to take risks. Krstic was a risk. A small one, but a risk. We are certainly seeing the effects of the collective bargaining agreement this year. But these things are cyclical. If lots of team had cap room, Childress, Krstic and others would be playing in the NBA."

another_one_bites_the_dust.jpg

Sources said that Emeka Okafor and the Bobcats are close to agreeing on a six-year pact believed to be worth at least $72 million, which would by far represent Charlotte's biggest expenditure on one player as the club readies for its fifth season. Okafor turned down a five-year deal with a similar $12 million annual average before last season, preferring to wait for restricted free agency. ESPN.com

Several top restricted free agents have endured slow-moving negotiations with their teams -- Atlanta's Josh Smith, Chicago's Luol Deng and Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala chief among them -- in a marketplace where only the Memphis Grizzlies have the salary-cap space to extend a lucrative offer sheet to Okafor and his peers in the restricted class. But Memphis has made it clear that it prefers to save its cap room for the summer of 2009. ESPN.com

An annual salary of $12 million would be in line with the contract extension 2005's No. 1 overall pick Andrew Bogut received from the Milwaukee Bucks earlier this month. Bogut signed a five-year deal with $60 million with hard-to-reach incentives that, if realized, could take the overall worth of the contract past $70 million. ESPN.com

The 76ers have reached an agreement with Kareem Rush, a source close to the free-agent guard confirmed yesterday. The 6-foot-6 shooting guard is in Philadelphia and will sign with the Sixers today, the source said. Philadelphia Inquirer

Rush averaged 8.3 points and 1.3 assists last season for Indiana. A 6-6 shooting guard, he was drafted 20th overall by Toronto in 2002 and his draft rights then were traded to the Los Angeles Lakers, where he played alongside Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant for two full seasons. Fourteen games into the 2004-05 season he was dealt to Charlotte for two second-round draft picks. Philadelphia Daily News

Specific terms of the deal were not revealed, but one source said it was a minimum-level contract, which, for a player like Rush, who is credited with six years of service in the NBA, would be $998,398. Sixers officials would not comment on Rush. Philadelphia Inquirer

Rush will become the 10th player under contract for this season. He made $770,610 last season with the Indiana Pacers. Philadelphia Inquirer

A source close to Andre Iguodala said the Sixers and Iguodala's agent were "in a dialogue to reach a deal." General manager Ed Stefanski has said the Sixers were still working on deals for Iguodala and Louis Williams. Rush was the Toronto Raptors' first-round pick (20th overall) out of Missouri in the 2002 NBA draft. Toronto immediately traded his rights to the Los Angeles Lakers, where Rush played for 21/2 seasons, averaging 6.4 points a game in 2003-04. Philadelphia Inquirer

Ed Stefanski officially announced the signing of Royal Ivey. The 76ers signed him to a multiyear, minimum-salary contract that is believed to include a significant amount of guaranteed money. The minimum salary for a player with four years in the NBA is $854,957. The Sixers did not disclose the terms. Philadelphia Inquirer

Ivey's agent, Keith Glass, said his client had offers from three other teams but chose the Sixers because he felt they presented the best on-court opportunity. Philadelphia Inquirer

The Minnesota Timberwolves and restricted free agent forward Ryan Gomes have agreed in principle on a five-year contract. Gomes was one of five players acquired by the Wolves last summer in the big trade with Boston for Kevin Garnett. Gomes played in all 82 games, 74 as a starter, and averaged a career-best 12.6 points and 5.8 rebounds. The deal was agreed upon Friday, agent Bob Myers said. Gomes was expected to sign the contract on Tuesday. AP/Globe and Mail

A month into the NBA's free-agent negotiating period, little progress seems to have been made in talks between the Bulls and restricted free agent Ben Gordon. The sides remain far apart on a long-term contract, and there's no telling whether the matter will be settled in August, September or after training camp begins in early October. Chicago Sun-Times

''The lines of communication haven't closed, so that's always a positive thing,'' Gordon said Monday before conducting a basketball camp at the Bulls/Sox Training Academy in Lisle. ''I don't know if the team is waiting to see what the market is for other guys, but I see guys like Monta Ellis signed, [Andris] Biedrins is signed and a couple of guys are getting deals done. Hopefully, that'll kind of propel things forward and we can get something done.'' Chicago Sun-Times

Gordon, 25, rejected a five-year, $50 million extension before last season, and it is believed the Bulls' best offer this summer hasn't matched that amount. When asked Monday if he regretted not accepting that deal last fall, Gordon quickly said, ''No.'' Really, there's no other way he could answer -- not without undercutting his negotiating position -- but the market may reward Gordon's patience. Chicago Sun-Times

Forward Luol Deng, another Bulls restricted free agent, has established Monday as a deadline to get his deal done. Deng wants the contract settled before he leaves for the European Championships, where he will play for the British team. Chicago Sun-Times

Nenad Krstic becomes the second former Net to leave for Russia in recent days. Unrestricted free agent Bostjan Nachbar signed with Dynamo Moscow last week. Krstic's team is called Triumph. "He had a difficult decision to make, but ultimately Triumph made him an offer that he could not refuse," Natasha Cornstein said in a second text message. NY Daily News

The situation is good for the Nets in that they don't have to worry about losing Krstic to another NBA team. In a sense, his time in Russia could be viewed as a long rehab assignment, allowing him to regain strength in the knee before making a comeback with the Nets. NY POst

At one point, the Grizzlies were offering a package that included either Kyle Lowry or Javaris Crittenton. Since the Nets already have 15 guys with guaranteed contracts taking back players becomes difficult because they would have to make more roster moves or buy out someone. Both could happen before the summer is out anyway. Bergen Record
The Cavaliers were in the game and made an offer to Krstic that was less than he would be getting in Russia. If he accepted it, the Nets could have matched it or lost Krstic outright since there really wasn't much on Cleveland they're interested in - other than LeBron James, of course. Bergen Record

For Krstic: The Bulls were involved late. They have a $5.2 million trade exception from the Ben Wallace/Larry Hughes trade and were contemplating throwing in a future first-round pick. Bergen Record

A Denver Nugget actually said this: "Defense is first on my mind, before scoring." Those were the words of Renaldo Balkman, whom the Nuggets acquired Monday from the Knicks for reserves Bobby Jones, Taurean Green and a 2010 second-round draft pick. Denver Post

"I'm a defensive stopper," said Balkman, a 6-foot-8 reserve forward. "Any (position) you put me on, I can guard. That's what I do." The 24-year-old Balkman, traded along with about $575,000 in cash considerations, should help Denver's bench. The Nuggets hope he will crack their rotation and provide some of the defensive intensity Denver lost when forward Eduardo Najera signed with New Jersey this month. Balkman averaged 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds last season for the Knicks. Denver Post

Green and Jones were likely candidates to be waived in August, when their contracts are to become guaranteed. "I'm going to make the best of my opportunity," said Balkman, who is from Staten Island, N.Y. "New York was great, but that's in my past now. Denver is my future." Denver Post

Neither Green nor Jones is expected to remain with the Knicks, as the team already has reached the NBA's maximum of 15 guaranteed contracts. Green and Jones each have non-guaranteed deals, but are little more than a means for team president Donnie Walsh to look further into the future by dumping salary and adding a draft pick. NY Post

Balkman became expendable with the addition of first-round pick Danilo Gallinari. The Knicks also have an increased role in mind for Wilson Chandler at small forward, and the unbridled Balkman wouldn't have been an ideal match in new coach Mike D'Antoni's uptempo style that calls for the small forward to assume a decision-making role. NY Post

Walsh would like to pick up short-term contracts or draft picks, such as the second-rounder he took from the Nuggets. The Knicks will have a choice of either Denver's second-round pick in 2010 or the Clippers' second-rounder that year. Denver acquired the right to swap picks with the Clippers in 2010 as part of the Marcus Camby trade July 16. NY Newsday

Less than a week after losing out on restricted free agent Kelenna Azubuike, the Clippers regrouped by signing unrestricted free agent swingman Ricky Davis on Monday afternoon. Davis, 28, averaged 13.8 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.4 assists while playing in all 82 games for the Miami Heat last season. He shot 43.3 percent from the floor, and - perhaps most importantly - 40.5 percent on 3-pointers. LA Daily News

A source told the Daily News that the deal was for two years, with a player option on the second year. Ricky Davis will make $2.3 million next season and slightly more than that in 2009-10 should he stay with the club. LA Daily News

Kwame Brown and the Detroit Pistons agreed to terms on a deal potentially worth $8 million over two seasons, team president of basketball operations Joe Dumars told The Associated Press on Monday night. Brown, the No. 1 pick overall in 2001, will make $4 million next season. If Brown exercises an option for the 2009-10 season, he will play in Detroit for another $4 million. If Brown doesn't take the option, he become a free agent again next summer and the Pistons won't owe him anything.(Like he won't take another 4 mil....) AP/Boston Globe

Kwame Brown's agent, Mark Bartelstein, confirmed Monday that the Pistons had OK'd a deal, which had not been signed yet. The two-year deal is for $4 million per season with a player option for a second year, meaning the 6-foot-11 power forward can opt out of the deal after one season. "He is a tremendous talent, and we think this can be a kind of a rebirth for his career," Bartelstein said. "He's very excited about this." Detroit Free Press

But the move likely signals that the blockbuster trade that fans have been waiting for since Pistons president Joe Dumars said the only untouchable on the team was combo guard Rodney Stuckey will not happen. And Billups -- the subject of a lot of that trade speculation -- indicated Monday that he believes the core group should remain intact for another run at an NBA title to go along with the one earned in 2004. "It's tough ... for me to say that I think we need a change because I've won with these guys," Billups said just before his appearance at the Birmingham Country Club for a charity golf outing for the Children's Center. "I've been to the top of the mountain with these guys, and I know what that feels like." Detroit Free Press

Dumars and Billups appeared animated as they talked, their first meeting since Dumars' volatile postseason address to the media. When the chat was over, Dumars departed and later declined to comment, and Billups sounded like a guy who appreciated what he heard. "We had a real good talk," Billups said. "Joe and I have a great relationship, and we knew at some point we had to sit face-to-face. I knew none of this was ever personal, so it doesn't really hurt. But it does get your attention. A lot of the rumors have been untrue, but in Joe's seat, you always gotta be looking to make your team better." Detroit News

The continued emergence of backup Rodney Stuckey is another way the Pistons could improve without significantly altering the roster. In fact, Stuckey's hot stock is one reason Billups' name has been so prominent in trade speculation. Maybe Stuckey could step in. But Billups isn't ready to step aside, and I'm not sure Dumars is ready to set him aside. Detroit News

"No way are we too old," Billups said. "Having the young guys behind us, I think that keeps the window open. I've been to the top of the mountain with these guys, and if you change things, it takes awhile to get back to that level." There wasn't defiance in Billups' voice, but there was confidence. And in the middle of a steamy summer, there was the slightest hint of relief, perhaps knowing rumors of his departure were decidedly premature. Detroit News

Sasha Vujacic re-signing with the Lakers: Monday afternoon, the fourth-year guard officially signed a three-year, $15 million contract to remain with the team that drafted him out of Slovenia in 2004. For general manager Mitch Kupchak, it was a proud moment. "I can remember four years ago, we sat at this very same table in this room with Sasha after we drafted him," Kupchak said. "He was a young European player. His hair wasn't quite as long as it is today, nor was he as accomplished a basketball player. But we considered him a young developing talent. And he certainly developed." LA Daily News

"I'm glad it's over," Vujacic said. "It was a tough month. But I wanted to play here. At the exit interviews, when you guys were all asking me what I was going to to, I said I was going to be with the team that needs and wants me the most, and now we know that team is the Lakers. "They are my team. They brought me over from Europe and I feel at home in this organization and in LA. Everywhere I'd go, Lakers fans would say to me, `Please re-sign, you have to come back Machine.' And that really gave me a warm feeling about it." LA Daily News

In the final days of the negotiation, Vujacic weighed a more lucrative three-year offer from a Russian team, according to his agent Rob Pelinka. And while he considered it, Pelinka said that Vujacic's priority was always to remain in Los Angeles on what he called "fair terms." LA Daily News

Don't be fooled by Andris Biedrins' humorous prima donna aside. The 6-foot-11, 230-pound center couldn't be a jerk if he tried. Not even being the third-highest paid player on the Warriors next season could derail his humility. Not even the supreme gesture of faith the Warriors expressed in him by giving him more than $60 million (including incentives) could inflate his ego. Biedrins has come this far - from a no-name Latvian teenager to a cornerstone player for an NBA franchise - by being a pleaser and willing worker. He has improved every year in the league by appreciating his opportunities and taking advantage of them. Contra Costa Times

"Now that I have this contract," Biedrins said, "I won't stop playing as hard or practicing as hard. I will work twice as hard. "... I was not thinking more or less about the numbers. I am just really glad the Warriors think I'm worth it. I won't let them down." Contra Costa Times

According to league sources, his new contract guarantees him $9 million per over the next six seasons. Biedrins would have to play 65 games per year and set milestones in points, rebounds and blocks to push the contract's total up to nearly $63 million. The statistical milestones, the sources confirmed, are close to what Biedrins' past production has been. He hasn't played fewer than 68 games since his rookie season. Last season, Biedrins averaged 10.5 points, 9.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 27.3 minutes - all of which could go up next season as his time on the court is expected to increase. Contra Costa Times

Brevin Knight on being traded to the Jazz: "I'm happy to be coming to a winning team with very good players and a Hall of Fame coach," Knight wrote in an e-mail. "How can I be upset with that? I'm also looking forward to hearing the cheers and not the boos from Jazz fans. "I see my role as being a veteran guy there to do whatever is necessary to help the team win. I'll know more about that when I get to town." Salt Lake Tribune

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy, who pleaded guilty last August to charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and transmitting betting information, is due to be sentenced for his crimes today in Brooklyn. A federal judge could sentence the Drexel Hill native to up to 33 months in prison after Donaghy admitted to betting on games that he had officiated. Last week, two other Delaware County men were sentenced for their roles in the betting schemes. James Battista was sentenced to 15 months in prison and three years of probation, while Thomas Martino was sentenced to a year and a day in prison and three years of probation. Philadelphia Inquirer

Donaghy admitted he traded inside information on NBA games during the 2006-07 season for cash payments from Battista and Martino, his friends from Cardinal O'Hara High School. Fired by the NBA last year after 13 seasons, the 41-year-old Donaghy gave his evidence to investigators voluntarily last year and is hoping to receive credit for cooperation. However, District Judge Carol Amon suggested at the sentencing for Battista and Martino that she considered Donaghy's crimes to go beyond simply betting on games. Philadelphia Inquirer

In a court filing in May, Donaghy's attorney said former St. Joseph's University player Jack Concannon "pressured" Donaghy into providing information that would help win bets on NBA games. Lauro said Donaghy and Concannon had been gambling together and "when Concannon lost money at casinos, he pressured Tim to use his knowledge to help select likely basketball teams that they could bet on." Philadelphia Inquirer

Donaghy, 41, is expected to receive between 27 and 33 months in prison for his role in a betting scandal that rocked the NBA last summer and continues to reverberate. In an effort to gain leniency for his client, Donaghy's attorney, John Lauro, submitted to the court yesterday an evaluation form that said Donaghy was a compulsive gambler who "couldn't stop himself." Washington Post

Stephen Block, a New York-based gambling treatment counselor who has worked with compulsive gamblers for 32 years, interviewed Donaghy in January and concluded that Donaghy was a gambling addict whose addiction ruined his life. In the aftermath of the criminal case, Donaghy lost his 13-year career with the NBA and his 12-year marriage with his wife, Kim. "In my professional opinion, Mr. Donaghy would never have committed these offenses if he was not a pathological gambler," Block said in the document. Washington Post

Battista, 42, received 15 months in prison for making bets while Martino, also 42, received one year and one day for paying Donaghy an estimated $30,000 for the tips. Donaghy, Battista and Martino must jointly pay the NBA $217,266 in restitution based on another ruling last week. The NBA sought nearly $1.4 million -- including legal fees and a portion of Donaghy's salary dating back to 2003, when the betting scheme began. Washington Post
[h2]Done Deal - Krstic Leaves NBA For MoscowTeam[/h2]
Jul 29, 2008 1:27 AM EST

njn_40.gif
Agent Marc Cornstein has confirmed toChad Ford of ESPN.com that former Net Nenad Krstic has officially signed a two year contract with Triumph Moscow early Tuesday morning.

The deal is worth around $9 million per year in the United States once you factor in the exchange rate and the fact that European clubs pay all theplayers' taxes, according to Ford.

Krstic joins Josh Childress, Bostjan Nachbar, Juan Carlos Navarro, Jorge Garbajosa, Carlos Delfino and Primoz Brezec as NBA players who opted to play formore money overseas this year. Three of the six are Cornstein clients.

According to the report, Cornstein worked until midnight Eastern time trying to find an NBA team willing to pay Krstic at least a mid-level contract to keephim in the NBA, but after the deadline passed Kstic signed the European deal.

"I think you almost have NBA teams being overly cautious at this point," one Eastern Conference GM told Insider. "With so many teams so closeto the luxury tax, teams are unwilling to take risks. Krstic was a risk. A small one, but a risk. We are certainly seeing the effects of the collectivebargaining agreement this year. But these things are cyclical. If lots of team had cap room, Childress, Krstic and others would be playing in theNBA."

ViaESPN

New Jersey Nets

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Okafor Close To New 6-Year Deal WithBobcats[/h2]
Jul 29, 2008 5:36 AM EST

cha_40.gif
The Charlotte Bobcats and forwardEmeka Okafor are on the verge of six-year deal believed to be worth at least $72 million, according to a report by Marc Stein of ESPN.com.

Okafor was widely believed to be a sign and trade candidate, with most believing that the Bobcats were unwilling to pay the type of money that the formersecond overall pick was looking for.

ViaESPN

Charlotte Bobcats

[h2]Sixers Agree With Kareem Rush[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 10:54 PM EST

phi_40.gif
Philadelphia has agreed to terms withfree agent guard Kareem Rush, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting.

A source close to Rush has confirmed that the shooting guard is in Philadelphia and will sign with the Sixers tomorrow.

Rush played last season with the Indiana Pacers, averaging 8.3 points and 2.4 rebounds per game.

ViaPhiladelphia Inquirer

Philadelphia 76ers, IndianaPacers

[h2]Kwame Joins Detroit[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 7:00 PM EST

det_40.gif
Kwame Brown's agent MarkBartlestein told ESPN.com on Monday night that the former No. 1 pick in the 2001 draft has reached a verbal agreement on a new contract with the DetroitPistons.

The contract is believed to be a two-year deal worth $8 million, and Brown will have a player option.

ViaESPN

Detroit Pistons

[h2]Clippers Sign Ricky Davis[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 6:51 PM EST

lac_40.gif
The Los Angeles Clippers today signedveteran free agent swingman Ricky Davis to a multi-year contract, it was announced by Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor. Per team policy,terms of the deal were not announced. Carrying career averages of 14.3 points, 3.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 31.1 minutes, Davis tallied 13.8 points, 4.3rebounds, and 3.4 assists in 82 games played for the Miami Heat during the 2007-08 season. The 6-foot-7-inch Iowa product also connected on 420-971 FG (.433),135-333 3FG (.405), and 155-197 FT (.787) on the year. "We believe he will be a good addition," Clippers Vice President of Basketball OperationsElgin Baylor said. "His versatility and ability to shoot from the outside will spread the floor and help our low post players."

Via PressRelease

Los Angeles Clippers

[h2]Warriors Re-Sign Biedrins[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 5:44 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
The Golden State Warriors havere-signed center Andris Biedrins to a multi-year contract, announced today by Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Mullin. Per team policy,terms of the agreement were not announced. "We're extremely happy to have Andris under contract for many years to come," said Mullin. "He isclearly one of the top young centers in the NBA and, much like the young player we signed a few days ago (Monta Ellis), he has continued to improve everyseason. It's not easy to find quality young big men in this league, but we certainly think we have one of them, and he's only 22 years old."

Via PressRelease

Golden State Warriors

[h2]Raptors Sign Free Agent Will Solomon[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 5:03 PM EST

tor_40.gif
The Raptors on Monday signed freeagent guard Will Solomon who played the past two years in Istanbul, Turkey, for Fenerbahce Ulker.

Solomon, 30, averaged 17.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists, and 1.3 steals in 13 games last season, according to an Associated Press report.

ViaAP

Toronto Raptors

Back
Top Bottom