Slavery is alive and well.

580654e15ec04.image.jpg

A white restaurant manager accused of enslaving a black worker for five years at a Conway eatery has been indicted by a federal grand jury.

The U.S. Attorney's Office on Wednesday announced that Bobby Paul Edwards, 52, of Lakeside Drive, faces a charge of forced labor, a felony that carries up to 20 years in prison.

Edwards was arrested Tuesday in connection with the indictment. He pleaded not guilty during a hearing Wednesday in Florence and was ordered to be held without bail. An attempt to reach his attorney, Scott Bellamy of Conway, was not immediately successful.

The employee, Christopher Smith, had worked for 23 years at J&J Cafeteria, but the accusations against Edwards surfaced toward the end of his time as a buffet cook. Smith was rescued after state social workers fielded a tip from someone concerned for his safety.

Public word of Smith's alleged ordeal emerged in 2015 after his attorneys in Charleston filed a federal lawsuit against Edwards, the business and its owner, Ernest J. Edwards, the suspect's brother.

Bobby Edwards had already been arrested on a state charge of second-degree assault and battery, which remains pending, but the FBI and civil rights prosecutors from the Department of Justice also started probing the case.

The federal allegations mirror some of those in the lawsuit.

Prosecutors said Bobby Edwards "used force, threats of force, physical restraint and coercion" to get Smith to work.

Smith, who has an intellectual disability, would pull 18-hour shifts six days a week, sometimes without breaks, his attorneys said in the suit. He was hit with a frying pan, burned with grease-covered tongs and beaten with butcher knives, belt buckles and fists “while being called the N-word repeatedly,” the lawyers alleged.

And he got paid less than $3,000 yearly, they said.

In addition to possible prison time if he's convicted, Bobby Edwards would face paying mandatory restitution to the victim.

The lawsuit remains unresolved.

"Our client is very appreciative of the efforts put forth by the U.S. government in its investigation," David Aylor, an attorney for Smith, said, "and he believes that ultimately, justice will be served."

With an intellectual disability on top of that. :smh: Beyond awful

the disgusting thing is that the story about a dog abuser making parole will get more outrage instead of this.
the south low key does this to illegals and black folk, i dont even want to think about what they do to women.
jobs are dangled over peoples heads and the wages are trash.

I can tell you right now there's a good chance bruh might get off. In Conway, SC. :lol: Unless this becomes a popular story.

Not surprised and the customers prolly had pet names for bruh and all. :smh: Being from the South I've always weary as hell of wypipo over 50-60.

There are probably tons of construction/handyman type jobs where POC are working for much less than they're worth. I've seen first hand some janky **** when I used to go hang with my relatives and work with them during the summers in the rural south. :lol: The frying pans and **** here is what hopefully locks him up. Some people are just cruel and unusual.

I can tell you right now there's a good chance bruh might get off. In Conway, SC. :lol: Unless this becomes a popular story.

Not surprised and the customers prolly had pet names for bruh and all. :smh: Being from the South I've always weary as hell of wypipo over 50-60.

There are probably tons of construction/handyman type jobs where POC are working for much less than they're worth. I've seen first hand some janky **** when I used to go hang with my relatives and work with them during the summers in the rural south. :lol: The frying pans and **** here is what hopefully locks him up. Some people are just cruel and unusual.
I feel like this is an appropriate time to bring up this excellent documentary on Netflix again.
The title is a reference to the 13th amendment.

Misleading title. That being said, give this guy a chair. It’s bad enough to do this to anyone but someone with diminished mental capacity? There’s people in the KKK with more integrity.

Honestly hope he gets that permanent nap in prison, either by the judicial system or by the inmates.

**** this dude.

But knowing this country, he'll prolly get that posh Dylann Roof treatment

Back
Top Bottom