So D'Angelo played in Stockholm today..

My body has been on ready for a decade+.

I may gift this to a few folks just because it's that time of year. Everyone needs to hear the greatness that this record will be.

THIS.

His third album, whenever it drops, will be EPIC.  What I love about the guy is that he doesn't put out crap music.  There is an actual PURPOSE behind what he does. 

I seriously urge everyone who's a fan of his to read the GQ article.  His hiatus makes a lot of sense. 

*I almost think we need another thread for him.  OP isn't updating the title. 

Look I love Voodoo and brown sugar as much as the next guy but lets not act like R Kelly isn't an incredible artist and song writer.

Has R Kelly put out some stinkers sure, but he's prolific and has produced more good songs than most people have entire discographies.

R. Kelly?

I can't even put him in the same sentence as D'Angelo from a musical perspective. I respect his contributions to music, songwriting, etc. And I still rock with his earlier albums. But dude lost me a looooong time ago. I can't really get down with old heads that follow the trends in radio music to remain relevant.

R. Kelly?

I can't even put him in the same sentence as D'Angelo from a musical perspective. I respect his contributions to music, songwriting, etc. And I still rock with his earlier albums. But dude lost me a looooong time ago. I can't really get down with old heads that follow the trends in radio music to remain relevant.

That's fine if you don't rock with him but to act like his contribution to the culture is out-shined byt D'anglo is ridiculous.

also D'angelo's first two albums are verging on the territory of fake deep with the way people talk about them. his lyrics aren't more complex or inventive than R Kelly's. Voodoo and Brown sugaur traverse over well worn soul/funk tropes.

and I LOVE Voodoo.

Obvisouly sonically Voodoo is incredibly compelling and unique but Rkelly and Dangelo are pushing different types of music so it's difficult to compare the sound. to act like one is significantly better or more important than another is ridiculous to me.

Last edited:
R. Kelly?

That's fine if you don't rock with him but to act like his contribution to the culture is out-shined byt D'anglo is ridiculous.

also D'angelo's first two albums are verging on the territory of fake deep with the way people talk about them. his lyrics aren't more complex or inventive than R Kelly's. Voodoo and Brown sugaur traverse over well worn soul/funk tropes.

and I LOVE Voodoo.

Obvisouly sonically Voodoo is incredibly compelling and unique but Rkelly and Dangelo are pushing different types of music so it's difficult to compare the sound. to act like one is significantly better or more important than another is ridiculous to me.

You sound like a super fan, man. Relax. :lol:

I don't think I ever said one was more important than the other. I just think that musically R. Kelly is garbage now, and has been for years. That's it.

Enough about Robert though. Let's celebrate the greatness that this album should be. :pimp:

I don't think I ever said one was more important than the other. I just think that musically R. Kelly is garbage now, and has been for years. That's it.

Enough about Robert though. Let's celebrate the greatness that this album should be. :pimp:

Im not superfan I like D'angelo better to be honest, im just feeling this air of snobbishness thats getting into hip hop,

J. Cole's new album is prime example of this, if you don't LOVE it. it you somehow just don't "get it."

R Kelly has been "the old dude in the club" for a while but dude got classics all through the 90's. 12 Play and the R. album are timeless just like D'Angelo's work and Love Letter was a great album.

Last edited:
they played a commercial during SNL last night. The song played was :smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin:smokin

He's just gonna sneak in album of the year at the last minute

Im not superfan I like D'angelo better to be honest, im just feeling this air of snobbishness thats getting into hip hop,

J. Cole's new album is prime example of this, if you don't LOVE it. it you somehow just don't "get it."

How is what I said snobbish though? :lol:

I acknowledged the man's contributions and skills. He's easily one of the greats of music. Period.

He just sucks now. And has for awhile now. Doesn't mean his classics are any less classic though.

I been waiting on copping KRIT, GFK, Preme/5'9", etc., but I'll be at the record store as soon as they have this.

Dis Dude here is so talented that he be wild flagrant with it 

Drops flames then disappears for 5 to 10  
roll.gif

Last edited:
Halfway through so far.  

Gotta say that this was well worth the wait.  I can see some folks being disappointed though--this definitely isn't as immediately accessible as the first 2 albums.  

Personally, I love the growth I'm hearing.  

Now all I need is a physical copy.  

Halfway through so far.  

Gotta say that this was well worth the wait.  I can see some folks being disappointed though--this definitely isn't as immediately accessible as the first 2 albums.  

Personally, I love the growth I'm hearing.  

Now all I need is a physical copy.  

I can't find any retailer online that has it, will check again tomorrow, would rather have the physical copy as well as iTunes copy.

It's like Christmas for me! We've been talking about this "new album" for a couple years now in the R&B thread. Plus, I've been listening to a lot of D'Angelo lately anyway.

How is what I said snobbish though? :lol:

I acknowledged the man's contributions and skills. He's easily one of the greats of music. Period.

He just sucks now. And has for awhile now. Doesn't mean his classics are any less classic though.

Late to the convo, but you pretty much summed up everything I was gonna say.

No need to rehash anything and there isn't a chance in hell that OKB will move his stick in the argument. It's pointless to go back and forth with him.

Anyways, can't wait to get BM later on today.... :pimp: It's been TOO long, but I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom