So does Malcom X having homosexual relations change your view on him?

[h1]Malcolm X had gay affairs with white men, new book claims[/h1]
A new book published by a Columbia University historian has suggested that Malcolm X had gay relationships with white men.

Peter Lloyd

news.PinkPaper.com

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

6 April 2011

Post your comment
461px-Malcolm-x.jpg
A new book published by a Columbia University historian has suggested that Malcolm X had gay relationships with white men.

The book, Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention by Manning Marable, alsoclaims that one of the men who assassinated Malcolm X escaped justiceand is alive.

The African-American minister was a legendary public speaker and human rights activist before being gunned down on stage in New York in 1965.

The claims re-ignites opinions voiced by Peter Tatchell almost two decades ago, which said the orator was bisexual. 

"My claims were not original," says Tatchell. "They were based on evidence collected by the brilliant US author Bruce Perry and documented in his towering 1991 book, Malcolm: The Life of a Man Who Changed Black America. Perry was unfairly maligned by black nationalists and the Nation of Islam for recounting Malcolm's gay / bisexual past. So was I. We were accused of racism and revisionism.

"Manning Marable was a widely respected historian with great credibility in academic, black and left-wing circles. His corroboration of Malcolm X's same-sex experiences will hopefully help undermine the decades of denialism by those who misguidedly regard homosexuality as shameful and unAfrican."
The news comes just days after Mahatma Gandhi was outed as being bisexual.

Since it seems of the people on here who seem to be into pan-africanism ideology have often been dismissive of homosexuality does this effect your view on the man?  With the recent Mr. Cee debacle and other things that have come up recently it seems this is a pertienent topic within the community, just wanted to see if this changed anybody's opinion or at least would get them to think differently about sexuality.  This is part of the reason it has been hard within African communities for preventing HIV transmission as lots of black men don't want to be labeled as "gay," because they associate the word with femininity and has lead to the category being refined as "men who have sex with other men."  I hope this opens people up to think about sexuality in a different way.  While there is gay and straight, sexuality isn't necessarily as black and white as people make it.

[h1]Malcolm X had gay affairs with white men, new book claims[/h1]

Peter Lloyd

news.PinkPaper.com

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

6 April 2011

Post your comment
461px-Malcolm-x.jpg

The book, Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention by Manning Marable, alsoclaims that one of the men who assassinated Malcolm X escaped justiceand is alive.

The African-American minister was a legendary public speaker and human rights activist before being gunned down on stage in New York in 1965.

The claims re-ignites opinions voiced by Peter Tatchell almost two decades ago, which said the orator was bisexual. 

"My claims were not original," says Tatchell. "They were based on evidence collected by the brilliant US author Bruce Perry and documented in his towering 1991 book, Malcolm: The Life of a Man Who Changed Black America. Perry was unfairly maligned by black nationalists and the Nation of Islam for recounting Malcolm's gay / bisexual past. So was I. We were accused of racism and revisionism.

"Manning Marable was a widely respected historian with great credibility in academic, black and left-wing circles. His corroboration of Malcolm X's same-sex experiences will hopefully help undermine the decades of denialism by those who misguidedly regard homosexuality as shameful and unAfrican."
The news comes just days after Mahatma Gandhi was outed as being bisexual.

Since it seems of the people on here who seem to be into pan-africanism ideology have often been dismissive of homosexuality does this effect your view on the man?  With the recent Mr. Cee debacle and other things that have come up recently it seems this is a pertienent topic within the community, just wanted to see if this changed anybody's opinion or at least would get them to think differently about sexuality.  This is part of the reason it has been hard within African communities for preventing HIV transmission as lots of black men don't want to be labeled as "gay," because they associate the word with femininity and has lead to the category being refined as "men who have sex with other men."  I hope this opens people up to think about sexuality in a different way.  While there is gay and straight, sexuality isn't necessarily as black and white as people make it.

Maybe he wanted to do to white men what they've been doing to black men for hundreds of years

(amirite?)

Maybe he wanted to do to white men what they've been doing to black men for hundreds of years

(amirite?)

Originally Posted by moneymike88

(amirite?)

Real talkI don't agree with the gay lifestyle, but nah it doesn't affect my views on Malcolm.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

(amirite?)

Real talkI don't agree with the gay lifestyle, but nah it doesn't affect my views on Malcolm.

Originally Posted by oo206oo

Allegations.

And the author is dead now, so...
I mean it's not the first time its been alleged, and this author who died recently was a highly respected Columbia historian, who spent 20+ years working on the book.

But I'm sure this was just made up by the "white man" to make the black man effeminate
eyes.gif

Allegations.

And the author is dead now, so...
I mean it's not the first time its been alleged, and this author who died recently was a highly respected Columbia historian, who spent 20+ years working on the book.

But I'm sure this was just made up by the "white man" to make the black man effeminate
eyes.gif

being gay, being straight is just sexual orientation...although he was a staunch opponent of "white" people if it is true then it could show some hypocrisy but its only sexual orientation...you can't discredit all of his work based on this.

being gay, being straight is just sexual orientation...although he was a staunch opponent of "white" people if it is true then it could show some hypocrisy but its only sexual orientation...you can't discredit all of his work based on this.

I don't know enough about him for my opinion to be swayed. It somewhat depends whether it was before or after he became a minister. He was into drugs and the fast life at one point so I wouldn't be surprised if he succumbed to homosexual temptations. If, however its confirmed that these acts took place while he was a minister... it may upset a lot of people, to say the least.

admittedly without actually reading the accounts and getting background my 1st instinct would be that they are just trying to tarnish the legacy-

but i cant/wont pass judgment without actually looking into it

I don't know enough about him for my opinion to be swayed. It somewhat depends whether it was before or after he became a minister. He was into drugs and the fast life at one point so I wouldn't be surprised if he succumbed to homosexual temptations. If, however its confirmed that these acts took place while he was a minister... it may upset a lot of people, to say the least.

Allegations. 

At this point that's all they are. Either way, it wouldn't change my view of him. I don't understand why it's even important enough to research.

Allegations. 

At this point that's all they are. Either way, it wouldn't change my view of him. I don't understand why it's even important enough to research.

admittedly without actually reading the accounts and getting background my 1st instinct would be that they are just trying to tarnish the legacy-

but i cant/wont pass judgment without actually looking into it

Notice how media types keep trying to suggest prominent black men were gay. Man take that crap and put it in the garbage. It's this push to tie the struggle of African Americans and Civil Rights to the plight of Gay individuals in America. Unfortunately, Being Gay has nothing to do with being taken from your homeland and beaten and killed through 400 years of indentured servitude. This is what Malcolm meant when he said "Plymouth Rock landed on us". Not buying it, don't believe it, never accepting it and honestly am somewhat offended. Go out half of the Conservative Gay Congressmen that just happen to be Caucasian if you want a real story.

Back
Top Bottom