so does yao belong in the HOF?

his career is over. what do you think?
I think he makes it but he probably shouldn't. I wasn't a huge fan of his game but i liked the guy. 

bringing marketing into the conversation seems pretty 
ohwell.gif

his career is over. what do you think?
I think he makes it but he probably shouldn't. I wasn't a huge fan of his game but i liked the guy. 

bringing marketing into the conversation seems pretty 
ohwell.gif

No but considering the low standards of the Basketball Hall of Fame he gets in strictly off of opening up China to the NBA.

No but considering the low standards of the Basketball Hall of Fame he gets in strictly off of opening up China to the NBA.

on another forum i'm on someone pointed out that his career arc was basically identical to Brad Dougherty.. both #1 picks, similar numbers, similar length of playing career etc:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...um=1&p1=mingya01&y1=2011&p2=daughbr01&y2=1994

so statistcally, should he get in? no. but bringing his huge cultural impact into the mix would change the argument. it's not impossible that he will get shooed in to the HOF in an effort to improve diplomatic relations with China..
nerd.gif

on another forum i'm on someone pointed out that his career arc was basically identical to Brad Dougherty.. both #1 picks, similar numbers, similar length of playing career etc:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...um=1&p1=mingya01&y1=2011&p2=daughbr01&y2=1994

so statistcally, should he get in? no. but bringing his huge cultural impact into the mix would change the argument. it's not impossible that he will get shooed in to the HOF in an effort to improve diplomatic relations with China..
nerd.gif

In the times Yao was healthy, he produced like a hall of famer.

But at the very least, he'll get in as a contributor for the way he opened the NBA to China/Asia.

But at the very least, he'll get in as a contributor for the way he opened the NBA to China/Asia.

man bringing up "opening doors" is ridiculous

if he gets in i'm starting a Robert Horry petition

man bringing up "opening doors" is ridiculous

if he gets in i'm starting a Robert Horry petition

its tough, because if he was healthy he'd arguably be a top 5 center of all time based off numbers alone.

its tough, because if he was healthy he'd arguably be a top 5 center of all time based off numbers alone.

Originally Posted by PMatic

No he didnt

Originally Posted by PMatic

No he didnt

Not because of the way he played but the things he did, Opened the door for Chinese players and other stuff he did for his country.

I'll jump on the Yao HOF Bandwagon.

Not because of the way he played but the things he did, Opened the door for Chinese players and other stuff he did for his country.

I'll jump on the Yao HOF Bandwagon.

easily. its not even a question, honestly. compare him with other international players and the impact he made on basketball, not just stats in the nba. hes a world icon.

easily. its not even a question, honestly. compare him with other international players and the impact he made on basketball, not just stats in the nba. hes a world icon.

Originally Posted by Furrell

He didn't open up China to the NBA.

He wasn't even the first Chinese player in the NBA. Or the second. Basketball/NBA was popular in China before that. Sure he made the NBA more popular than it was before, but the growth of China's economy and middle class during this period was more responsible for this.

Originally Posted by Furrell

He didn't open up China to the NBA.

He wasn't even the first Chinese player in the NBA. Or the second. Basketball/NBA was popular in China before that. Sure he made the NBA more popular than it was before, but the growth of China's economy and middle class during this period was more responsible for this.

Back
Top Bottom