So how did you find out you had diabetes?

Both parents have diabetes, but I don't have it. Lost about 50 pounds within the last year and started eating a little better.

I wish you well.I've been diabetic for most of my life and it's a pain in the butt to have and manage but if your disciplined enough to workout and take care of yourself,the better off you will be.It took me years of messing up and not caring about it,having another issue come because of it for me to finally realize that its serious and I need to get control of it,now!.

I'm vegan, but my family has history of diabetes.
Doctor said the diet contributed to it, vegan diets are high carb diets. Carbs was the culprit in this case.

A lot of vegetables, and especially fruits have high carbs/starches. Grains and soy are also really high in carb content. So I wouldn't be surprised if a normal vegan diet contains high carbs.

Most likely since you are in the hospital now, they are going to assign you a nutritionist to at least give you an idea of how to construct your diet.

I know you're going through some rough times Nomad.. But where did you find your display pic?... That's my painting lol.. Just really confused because I don't think I really posted it on NT before.. Or any other site/blog for that matter... Either way stay strong!

I know you're going through some rough times Nomad.. But where did you find your display pic?... That's my painting lol.. Just really confused because I don't think I really posted it on NT before.. Or any other site/blog for that matter... Either way stay strong!

Isn't that a clip from the watchmen graphic novel?

It is from the graphic novel.. Just the angle and coloring are making it look like my painting.. I'm prolly just crazy though ha!

I found out when I was 16 yrs old. I had the frequent urinating, unquenchable thirst, and lost 40lbs in a 3 week span. Went to the doctor to get some blood work done. Found out that day I have hypertension. A few days later I was called to come back. The doctor told me that I have Type 2 diabetes. Immediately after the doctor's visit, they set me up to meet with a nutritionist. There were times early on where I had to take insulin because my blood sugar was constantly high. Today, 13 years later, I'm down to taking Metformin twice a day. I believe one of these days I wont need to take any medication anymore.

You can be obese, skinny, tall, short, etc...............................diabetes, like any disease, can hit you at anytime. So watch what you eat and, very importantly, learn/know your family's medical history.

Last edited:
You're going to be subject to a battery of tests for heart and kidney function especially. You will have to be diligent in monitoring your glucose levels and disciplined when you eat.

The disease can be beaten and reversed. Be disciplined, brave and remain faithful. Best of luck to you.

damn dude sorry to hear what happened... hope you can beat it or live with it easier...
isnt meth a vegan?

Last edited:
Update I'll be getting off medication before the new year or a little after. I'm down to 2mg pills of Glucatrol once a day and have normal blood sugar.
Downside, I'm in stage 3 renal kidney failure and stage 2 hypertension.

I've managed to get my blood pressure down to 157 from 190 in 40 days. Kidney failure isn't reversible but it's a possibility I can salvage my kidneys and avoid dialysis with a STRICT diet. I get lab work back the 29th

I lost 50 pounds in 3 months I have a six pack again and have so much more bursts of energy than before my diagnosis. 

Listen to your body, it's truly an amazing instrument if nature.

Oh and I'm HIV negative 

as a type 1 i always say yall had it easy and could've prevented it. sorry. :rolleyes

lol at the people saying type 2 is more hereditary... *****. yes family history plays a role in all illnesses. from heart disease to high blood pressure to diabetes, but your lifestyle choices directly influence type 2 diabetes compared to type 1.

and on topic: same situation. kept pissing. water became tasty it was weird. i never liked water but it became the most delicious thing on the planet. then momma dukes took me to the hospital

Last edited:
Not exactly correct, genetics plays a big role in it too especially among blacks. My brother is Type 1 and theres no difference between the two, Type 1's pancreas just completely shuts down at a young age. Type 2 is a silent killer, it took me to have an A1C of 12 and toxic blood that destroyed my heart and kidney to find out I had it.

It's not an easy task to manage I've cried myself to sleep many nights, pricking my finger 4-6 times a day. Can't drink alcohol or eat sweets, makes it hard on dates or out with friends. I'm reduced to salad and water. Tried turkey on wheat and my glucose was 177 then 190 for the rest of the day.

It's very challenging and depressing at times. My brother however eats fast food and cakes and just pops a syringe of insulin in his hip and goes out partying. I don't have that privelage.

Not exactly correct, genetics plays a big role in it too especially among blacks. My brother is Type 1 and theres no difference between the two, Type 1's pancreas just completely shuts down at a young age. Type 2 is a silent killer, it took me to have an A1C of 12 and toxic blood that destroyed my heart and kidney to find out I had it.
It's not an easy task to manage I've cried myself to sleep many nights, pricking my finger 4-6 times a day. Can't drink alcohol or eat sweets, makes it hard on dates or out with friends. I'm reduced to salad and water. Tried turkey on wheat and my glucose was 177 then 190 for the rest of the day.
It's very challenging and depressing at times. My brother however eats fast food and cakes and just pops a syringe of insulin in his hip and goes out partying. I don't have that privelage.

Damn dude, I'm sorry to hear how much this has taken its toll on you. I'm type 2 also, but I was diagnosed relatively earlier (physical for school showed fbs 170 and then a1c was around 8.5%. That was in 2010. I know how it feels to have a few slices of pizza, take your meds and show a 240 Blood glu 2 hours later. I've been up and down on my diet but I take my meds religiously. Both of my folks were diagnosed within the last 6 years or so, plus I'm overweight so all the risk factors were there. Stay up my dude. Diet and exercise is so crucial...when I would be on summer break, runnin every day gym every night counting my calories I was able to get my fasting down to normal (sub-100) levels. Now that I'm back in school...not so much. And see your endocrinologist when you need to. I get lazy/scared to talk to her every other month but the doc knows what's up. Lastly, type 2 dm is due to an increased resistance to insulin, with diet and genetics being big factors. Its a pain to always have your blood sugar in the back of your mind, but it's your health. Just another obstacle to overcome, keep at it man.

^^^

It's nice to know you're not alone, especially being so young as I am living with it. 
My overall today was 80, the week was 88 and the whole month was 103.
I take 2mg of Glucatrol XL once a day.

Damn this thread is scary. My grandfather (rip) had diabetes. My dad has it. I see where the ship is sailing. I keep sweets to a minimum. I pee like a racehorse, especially after some brews.

Best of luck brah.

Man, I think i might have it too.  It's on both sides of my family and now i'm starting to see symptoms.  One of the weird ones is a black ring around the toilet bowl.  Some kind of mold that grows because of glucose in my urine according to google.  I've gotta make an appt to see a doc.

dude..keep ur head up op.....there is still hopes of getting rid of that....i worked with a few people in ur situation, and they had a couple of options depending on what their weight was. is bypass an option?

Back
Top Bottom