So How Tough is Law School Really?

My business law professor was telling us that understanding law isn't difficult.  It's just a lot of hard work and tons of research.  He works at a small law firm on Long Island.  He told us a lot of his friends who work at large firms lost their jobs and are back in school again for different fields.

My mother, daughter's mother, and cousin said that understanding law is easy. Just a lot of reading, dedication, studying, reading, writing, and more reading.

As a law school grad and practicing attorney, Law school is not difficult per se, it just requires a lot of dedication of time.  Your first year you should be in the library hitting the books.  Don't let people scare you with all the horror stories.  If you are smart enough to get in, you are smart enough to get through it.  After your first year, you get a hang of things and can become more efficient.  Just be ready to work and you should be good.  PM me if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by JDashR

Honestly, as a practicing government prosecutor in a major northeast city, i say go if you know what you want to do. With that being said, i recommend those planning to go to law school to intern or work in a particular area of the law before they go, so they have focus as well as a goal. Law school has become less about the understanding and study of law, but rather a trade school in which student's goals is to secure employment post graduation.

If you think you would like to work in a large law firm, become a paralegal there. See the type of work, the type of people, the different practice areas. If you enjoy it and the lifestyle, kill the lsat and try to get into the best school you can. Study like a madman 1L and do well on your exams, don't be aspie during OCI, and perhaps you may land yourself a summer associate gig. Pending you do not mess that up and the economy doesnt radically shift for the worse, you will get an offer.

If you think you may like to work within public interest, intern for an organization you could see yourself working for post law school. You wouldnt believe how many people are welcomed back with open arms to the org they worked before they attended law school. Granted, an excellent reputation within the org will help.

If you think you would like to work within government intern, or become a paralegal for said agency.

If anyone has any questions about government work or being a state prosecutor, ask away.
Excellent advice. 

Originally Posted by ShoxBb433

I need to quit blowing trees and start studying for this october LSAT. My goal is to write a 170.
have you taken a cold practice test yet?

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

I need to quit blowing trees and start studying for this october LSAT. My goal is to write a 170.
yea I got a 154 
sick.gif
. Could have did a lot better but time management killed me.

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

yea I got a 154 
sick.gif
. Could have did a lot better but time management killed me.
Time management is the LSAT man. If you look at the material at your leisure you'll see that the material isn't all the difficult, learning to do it under duress that makes it hard. getting a 170 is still plausible give a 154 cold, most people improve by 12-15 pts based on what I've seen. I read about a dude who took every practice (1-70 something) and went from a 145 on his first LSAT to a 172 on his second.

What are you guys using to study?

Since I wasn't trying to go to a Tier 1, I just used Powerscore books.

Back
Top Bottom