So INCEPTION is One of the BEST Movies I have ever seen... Vol. Christopher "The Man" Nolan

^ they go to limbo

I don't mean Cobb and Saito. I'm talking about the rest of the people that ride the kicks to wake up. If everybody wakes up at the same time at the end of the flight what happens to the crew while Cobb and Saito are living in limbo? The sedative kept everybody asleep for the full 10 hours right?

Everybody except Cobb and Saito rides the kick back to Yusuf's van. They switch back to Cobb in limbo going to find Saito. He and Saito come out of limbo and they all wake up at the end of the flight.

What happens to Arthur and them between when they ride the kicks back to the van and when they wake up on the plane?

^ they go to limbo

I don't mean Cobb and Saito. I'm talking about the rest of the people that ride the kicks to wake up. If everybody wakes up at the same time at the end of the flight what happens to the crew while Cobb and Saito are living in limbo? The sedative kept everybody asleep for the full 10 hours right?

Everybody except Cobb and Saito rides the kick back to Yusuf's van. They switch back to Cobb in limbo going to find Saito. He and Saito come out of limbo and they all wake up at the end of the flight.

What happens to Arthur and them between when they ride the kicks back to the van and when they wake up on the plane?

Originally Posted by GolfAlphaBravoEcho

I'm assuming they just chilled there for the remaining couple of months. Granted there was no kick and they had to wait for the sedation to wear off, it would have approximately been 4 months waiting.

I'm assuming they just chilled there for the remaining couple of months. Granted there was no kick and they had to wait for the sedation to wear off, it would have approximately been 4 months waiting.

^ they go to limbo

Consider this fact in the context of the movie--the deeper you go down, dream state/level wise, the slower time becomes. Hence why limbo can last for years upon years.

Intuitively then, the corollary holds true then: that the higher and/or the more superficial the dream state/level wise, the faster time becomes.

So even though Cobb and Saito were in Limbo for years--Saito moreso than Cobb evidenced by his old age when Cobb finally finds him--on the higher levels, where Arthur and the rest of 'em were, it was most likely just a few minute.

There is no direct evidence for this--but the Nolan gives us enough info about the dynamics of these dream states and the way in which time works within them to infer that this is what likely happened. Also recall that THEY ALL AWAKE TOGETHER ON THE PLANE even though the two groups (Saito and Cobb vs Arthur and the rest) were occupying distinct dream levels with distinct time properties. The only way for them to be wake up together is if one dream state had faster time dynamics (limbo) than the other (where Arthur and remaining team were).

A simpler way to visualize what I'm trying to explain--while Cobb and Saito are in Limbo, imagine Arthur and the Crew on the first level moving in Super Sloooowwww motion. So though Cobb and Saito may have spent years in limbo, it would have been only 1 or 2 or 4 or 5 or 10 minutes on the first level--which is where Arthur and the Crew were.

^ they go to limbo

Consider this fact in the context of the movie--the deeper you go down, dream state/level wise, the slower time becomes. Hence why limbo can last for years upon years.

Intuitively then, the corollary holds true then: that the higher and/or the more superficial the dream state/level wise, the faster time becomes.

So even though Cobb and Saito were in Limbo for years--Saito moreso than Cobb evidenced by his old age when Cobb finally finds him--on the higher levels, where Arthur and the rest of 'em were, it was most likely just a few minute.

There is no direct evidence for this--but the Nolan gives us enough info about the dynamics of these dream states and the way in which time works within them to infer that this is what likely happened. Also recall that THEY ALL AWAKE TOGETHER ON THE PLANE even though the two groups (Saito and Cobb vs Arthur and the rest) were occupying distinct dream levels with distinct time properties. The only way for them to be wake up together is if one dream state had faster time dynamics (limbo) than the other (where Arthur and remaining team were).

A simpler way to visualize what I'm trying to explain--while Cobb and Saito are in Limbo, imagine Arthur and the Crew on the first level moving in Super Sloooowwww motion. So though Cobb and Saito may have spent years in limbo, it would have been only 1 or 2 or 4 or 5 or 10 minutes on the first level--which is where Arthur and the Crew were.

That's what I assumed, although I thought it was only a week?

Right, that's what I thought, but there weren't any references to that after they cut back to Cobb and Saito in limbo. It just jumps back to the plane where they're all coming to.

I'll run with that, until somebody comes up with some kind of crazy theory otherwise.

That's what I assumed, although I thought it was only a week?

Right, that's what I thought, but there weren't any references to that after they cut back to Cobb and Saito in limbo. It just jumps back to the plane where they're all coming to.

I'll run with that, until somebody comes up with some kind of crazy theory otherwise.

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

^ they go to limbo

The point that GABE made was this:

1. The time it took to enter Yusef's dream, abduct Fischer and drop into the river should have taken just a couple hours.
2. If the trip from Sydney to L.A. is approx. 10 hours, that would mean the first level would be approx. be 5 days (because 5 min in real time = 60 min in the dream world, ignore my previous post, I screwed up something with the math)
3. They couldn't be "kicked" on the first day (because since they were so heavily sedated, the kick would have brought them to limbo)

This goes back to GABE's original question, what did  they do for the following 4 days in the dream world while waiting for the sedation to wear off?

IMO, they were just chilling in Yusef's world. Since at that point Fischer thought he was safe, his sub-conscious security probably would have layed off they wouldn't have been in any danger..

^ they go to limbo

1. The time it took to enter Yusef's dream, abduct Fischer and drop into the river should have taken just a couple hours.
2. If the trip from Sydney to L.A. is approx. 10 hours, that would mean the first level would be approx. be 5 days (because 5 min in real time = 60 min in the dream world, ignore my previous post, I screwed up something with the math)
3. They couldn't be "kicked" on the first day (because since they were so heavily sedated, the kick would have brought them to limbo)

This goes back to GABE's original question, what did  they do for the following 4 days in the dream world while waiting for the sedation to wear off?

IMO, they were just chilling in Yusef's world. Since at that point Fischer thought he was safe, his sub-conscious security probably would have layed off they wouldn't have been in any danger..

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

^ they go to limbo

Just took a look at the movie just to make sure I had my facts correct...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Points #1 and #2 are correct, but number three is not. They can in fact be "kicked" out of the dream state, at any point in time, and at any day within the permissible time frame of 1 week, irrespective of how heavily sedated they are.

They would only go into limbo during that kind of heavy sedation if they were killed, which is why Cobb's stopped Eames from killing Saito.

That said, it is perfectly within the realm of possibility (as far as this movie goes...lol) that they could have just manufactured a 4th kick (1st = van, 2nd= elevator, 3rd=whatever Cobbs did to bring Saito outta limbo) which we the viewers were unaware of which would bring them back to reality at any point within that week. Heck they could've manufactured the kick only hours after escaping from the sinking van. And doing so wouldn't be that big of a problem, especially considering Robert Fisher's subconscious was duped into trusting Cobb and his team.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

^ they go to limbo

Just took a look at the movie just to make sure I had my facts correct...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Points #1 and #2 are correct, but number three is not. They can in fact be "kicked" out of the dream state, at any point in time, and at any day within the permissible time frame of 1 week, irrespective of how heavily sedated they are.

They would only go into limbo during that kind of heavy sedation if they were killed, which is why Cobb's stopped Eames from killing Saito.

That said, it is perfectly within the realm of possibility (as far as this movie goes...lol) that they could have just manufactured a 4th kick (1st = van, 2nd= elevator, 3rd=whatever Cobbs did to bring Saito outta limbo) which we the viewers were unaware of which would bring them back to reality at any point within that week. Heck they could've manufactured the kick only hours after escaping from the sinking van. And doing so wouldn't be that big of a problem, especially considering Robert Fisher's subconscious was duped into trusting Cobb and his team.

2 possibilities.....the entire movie is taking place while cobb is in limbo.....consider:

when he goes to see Michael Cane.. the first thing he says is "Come back to reality."
When he goes to the opium den type place at Yusuf's...the old guy was like "you of all people should know about wanting to wake up."..or something to that effect.
why does he have his wifes totem?? Shouldn't he have his own??......his wife's totem was designed so SHE and OLNY SHE would know the distinctiveness....
Ariadne in greek mythology is the one who led Theseus out of the labrynth with red string.....is Ariadne sent in to try and lead cobb out of limbo??...she is always wearing something red....

another possibility- the wedding ring theory....in every dream situation he is wearing a wedding ring..but in the real world, he is not...ending scene...no wedding ring

we never see the top falling, but you can hear it start to topple....in dreams, when the top is spun, the speed is constant, there is no slowing down....in the last scene, you can hear it start to topple..

hmmmmm

2 possibilities.....the entire movie is taking place while cobb is in limbo.....consider:

when he goes to see Michael Cane.. the first thing he says is "Come back to reality."
When he goes to the opium den type place at Yusuf's...the old guy was like "you of all people should know about wanting to wake up."..or something to that effect.
why does he have his wifes totem?? Shouldn't he have his own??......his wife's totem was designed so SHE and OLNY SHE would know the distinctiveness....
Ariadne in greek mythology is the one who led Theseus out of the labrynth with red string.....is Ariadne sent in to try and lead cobb out of limbo??...she is always wearing something red....

another possibility- the wedding ring theory....in every dream situation he is wearing a wedding ring..but in the real world, he is not...ending scene...no wedding ring

we never see the top falling, but you can hear it start to topple....in dreams, when the top is spun, the speed is constant, there is no slowing down....in the last scene, you can hear it start to topple..

hmmmmm

Movie is hard to follow, but definitely should be recognized at Leonardo's top-tier work.

The girl from Juno looked alright in this movie too, but no body & that forehead
30t6p3b.gif

Movie is hard to follow, but definitely should be recognized at Leonardo's top-tier work.

The girl from Juno looked alright in this movie too, but no body & that forehead
30t6p3b.gif

Movie wasn't that hard to follow, AMAZING. The theory of him doing the actual inception to himself to me makes the most sense. Don't understand how people quit after 45 minutes, should probably go back to watching Killa Season
indifferent.gif

Movie wasn't that hard to follow, AMAZING. The theory of him doing the actual inception to himself to me makes the most sense. Don't understand how people quit after 45 minutes, should probably go back to watching Killa Season
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

I mean, I don't really know what to say to this...not something I'd put much faith in as proof of Cobb being stuck in limbo...
ohwell.gif

The old guy I actually says: "...they come to be woken up; their dream has become their reality, who are you to say otherwise *smirk*" This actually backs up your point.

He has his wife's totem because it's the original idea--the original parasite--that made it possible for he and his wife to escape limbo. She refused to accept the truth it was revealing, thus he had to take control of it and use it to bring them back to the real world. You can even also look at the totem as a heirloom, a tragic one at that.

Furthermore, unlike Ariatne and Arthur's totem, which is distinctive in the sense that only the creator can know what makes it special (because they're based on weight displacement and require one to hold them and feel), Cobb's totem is pretty basic-- it's a visual totem. All one needs to do is see if it keeps spinning or if it falls. Thus anyone can hold it. Heck he can even describe it and be reassured that it wont blur the lines between reality and dream because he even describes it to Ariadne.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Maybe not necessarily limbo, but perhaps lead him towards the truth, the light so to speak--which is that he needs to let go of his memories and his wife. She is the only one he shares intimitate details with.[/color]

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

I mean, I don't really know what to say to this...not something I'd put much faith in as proof of Cobb being stuck in limbo...
ohwell.gif

The old guy I actually says: "...they come to be woken up; their dream has become their reality, who are you to say otherwise *smirk*" This actually backs up your point.

He has his wife's totem because it's the original idea--the original parasite--that made it possible for he and his wife to escape limbo. She refused to accept the truth it was revealing, thus he had to take control of it and use it to bring them back to the real world. You can even also look at the totem as a heirloom, a tragic one at that.

Furthermore, unlike Ariatne and Arthur's totem, which is distinctive in the sense that only the creator can know what makes it special (because they're based on weight displacement and require one to hold them and feel), Cobb's totem is pretty basic-- it's a visual totem. All one needs to do is see if it keeps spinning or if it falls. Thus anyone can hold it. Heck he can even describe it and be reassured that it wont blur the lines between reality and dream because he even describes it to Ariadne.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Maybe not necessarily limbo, but perhaps lead him towards the truth, the light so to speak--which is that he needs to let go of his memories and his wife. She is the only one he shares intimitate details with.[/color]

Just watched it again after the "Ring Theory"
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
It for sure help me understand that movie 10000% Also you notice in  reality he tends to hide his hands a lot in the movie (in pockets, cross arms etc...) never notice that at first. So you wouldn't know he wasn't wearing the ring.

Just watched it again after the "Ring Theory"
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
It for sure help me understand that movie 10000% Also you notice in  reality he tends to hide his hands a lot in the movie (in pockets, cross arms etc...) never notice that at first. So you wouldn't know he wasn't wearing the ring.

Back
Top Bottom