So my boy says that rebounding isn't a skill. Discuss

Maybe in a pickup game it may not seem like much especially if it isn't 5 on 5, but in organized basketball its essential especially offensive rebounds.

there's no way your friend has ever played organized basketball even for a day if that's his opinion.

every basketball player does rebounding drills, just like they do shooting drills, ballhandling drills, etc.

There is a certain amount of luck to rebounding.. But there is a certain amount of luck in everything sports..

But the amount of luck is not a large percentage.. It is getting yourself in the right position, and jumping for the board at the right time. That is luck but it is mainly having the skill and effort to get in position and get the right timing that makes up rebounding..

People always try and discredit anything that isn't offense and chalk it up to all effort. Like players like Amare just don't try enough on defense and on the boards. Nah, Amare plays hard every game, he's just not good at it. Rebounding and defense takes a ton of skill, instinct and BBIQ that everyone doesn't have. It really downplays how difficult it is. Word to me getting lit up against everyone 
mad.gif

Amare does not play hard every game.

Skill and knowledge will make you a better rebounder, but if Amare doesn't even box someone out... that's effort, not know-how.

It is definitely a skill, however I hate all of you who box out in pickup games. My god like jumping ability
pimp.gif
is unseen when a 5'6 dude is trying box out.

Timing and jumping ability had a lot to do with it too. I'm 5'7" and I used to be able to jump out of the gym and I had impeccable timing, which allowed me to fly over unsuspecting bigs thinking that they could just bunny hop and grab a re. Clamping over a group of trees is amazing.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Timing and jumping ability had a lot to do with it too. I'm 5'7" and I used to be able to jump out of the gym and I had impeccable timing, which allowed me to fly over unsuspecting bigs thinking that they could just bunny hop and grab a re. Clamping over a group of trees is amazing.

You probably play against 5'10 center ?
laugh.gif

There's skill involved, but most of you are over-exaggerating. The best have innate or sometimes taught skill, but rebounding is more about effort/want/tenacity/athleticism than it is about skill.

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

It definitely takes skill..The feeling of grabbing a rebound off someone that you physically/athletically have no business outrebounding is such a great feeling because you know how good your position, effort, and focus was on that play to do so..I played pickup ball yesterday and had like 15-20 rebounds, game to 15..I just kept hustling and playing hard and it worked for me. Felt better than games where I scored 90% of my team's points

chuck-hayes-kings_display_image.jpg

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DT43

there's no way your friend has ever played organized basketball even for a day if that's his opinion.

every basketball player does rebounding drills, just like they do shooting drills, ballhandling drills, etc.
roll.gif
 Yea this is one of the dumbest things anyone's "friend" has ever said
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

80 percent skill/strength, bodying up being the right position, being quick enough to beat other players out. but you do have to be in the right place.

I think he is dumb for saying that. If rebounding was not a skill, than why is it so important, especially come playoff time. 20-10 guys don't come around that often, and half that is rebounds, so how would he respond to that? Look at the guys that average double digits in rebounds each year, not that many on the list. I suppose he feels the same about assists, right place right time. 

Back
Top Bottom