So my programming professor thinks I cheated on a quiz... (update pg1 bottom)

..when I didn't. (for last fall quarter) This is sort of a vent post, but this is freaking stupid. It was a quiz where you do in the UNIX environment, andhe believes I did a wrong version of a quiz. He didn't even let me explain my position, and let me do a face-by-face meeting, and now he's reporting myname to the academic integrity coordinator when i didn't even do *$%+.
indifferent.gif
this is annoying as hell because i really didn't do anything wrong; if i did, i would simply turn myself and admit guilt, but i have nothingto be guilty of. what happened was i used the course reader/textbook (which he allows use of on quizzes) to help me and i might have accidently copiedsomething from there instead of doing the actual problem. he didn't even give me a chance to explain my position and now i have to go to the dean toexplain myself.
sick.gif
i'm hoping the truth will come to the light when iexplain myself, and the school people won't automatically assume i cheated. because i truly did not

anyone else gone through something similar in college before? this is absolute crap.

Na man i cant say that have been in this situation but damn im sorry to hear that sounds real serious. Did you get an automatic fail in his course?

nope not yet. what's gonna happen is i'm gonna have to talk to the dean and they're gonna discuss it. i'm fully innocent and i didn't doanything crazy, i only consulted the textbook to do my quiz. it just means i have to go through a bunch of silly mess to clear my name.

I've always wondered why instructors care so much whether or not someone is cheating anyway...

Your professor must not like you or something.. But just state your side of the story and show them how they made a mistake.

If not sue...lol

i think ucsd (my school) has a format they go through with these things, there's no way he doesn't like me cuz it's a big class and i've neverwent to his office hours or anything lol. but yeah, what i'm most frustrated about is he's turning it over to the school to handle, when I could simplystate my case to him face-to-face, and he's not giving me the opportunity to do that.

and what happened is on a quiz we do online, i worked on the wrong prompt for a quiz. i told him i think it's probably cuz i copied something from thetextbook, but he didn't even acknowledge that and went straight to the academic popo

your academic standing might matter.. if you are in good standing ( Dean's list and what not) they might let you of with a warning.

But on the real he did you dirty lol, i will be pissed.

are you a senior?

no i'm a sophomore. they're supposed to go through this judicial process thing but i'm hoping it gets resolved with my name cleared since i have nowrongdoing. even if i got off with a warning i would be pissed because i did nothing wrong.

I was an IT major and I took Java, C, SQL, and visual basic programming. My professors caught all cheaters and they won the battle despite the studentsprotesting. So you had to run the program on your system? How do you turn in your work? Was it written?

Programming, is like writing a book or story... There are various ways to get a program to run. Professors know when a program structure looks shady.Especially when things are just there, just because. Believe me. haha

Maybe you can change your major to Kineseology.

I'm a mechanical engineering major and this was a very basic C programming course. I think you might know what I mean so I'll be more specific, but wehad to import a file like "sales3.dat" or something like that, and he says I imported a file name that was not in the problem statement. So I thinkall I have to prove is that the file was from the textbook and I copied that, because that IS what happened.

ohhh....he did chmod and denied read on your face

lol i dont know what im talkin bout

Just tell the truth when you get the chance. You have the best position to clear things up. Don't exaggerate, don't stretch anything, just tell thetruth when you get your time to speak and it'll go away. Same thing happened to me in school.

^thanks for the advice. i think that's all i can do at this point, just wait til it comes up. it's going to be a helluva distraction with my otherclasses going on though, but i guess i just have to wait my turn.

Your professor sounds like a prick to me. I hate teachers that are unfair. Hopefully everything will be cleared up and you don't get a warning. I would bemad as hell too if that happened to me.

Business teacher told my class on the first day of financial accounting, that as abusiness professor she understands the need to cheat because we all try to do whatever we can to get ahead at all times. But if she catches us she'dprosecute to the fullest extent. I was like so she saying "Its not cheating unless you get caught" I can dig it.

Look on the bright side...your sig leads me to believe you go to Berkeley? You got a much better shot fighting it there than almost anywhere else. IMagine ifyou went to, I dunno, Notre Dame.
ohwell.gif

Got a D in a Spanish class due to cheating accusations, never proved a thing so my grade took a hit. I deserved it though cause I did...
laugh.gif

damn. i have to talk to the dean, but that won't be until 1.5 weeks
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
and it's just dragging this stupid thing longer. At least I have a lot oftime to put together evidence to show I didn't cheat.

edit: the e-mail contained THIS which is supposed to be evidence:

There were nine versions of quiz 4. The student was given version #9 which asked him to read 'aa-matrix.dat' but he read "matrix 2.dat' so he must have worked with another student who had a different quiz version.

roll.gif
WTH "he must have worked with another student who had adifferent quiz version." THAT IS ABSOLUTE CRAP, way to jump to conclusions Mr. Clueless Professor....I didn't even know anyone in that class.I read a program in the textbook that had that, and I've noted where it is in the textbook. I think I'll be exonerated of these false charges, butit's a shame that I have to go through this whole process.

Originally Posted by acidicality

i didn't even do *$%+... i might have accidently copied something from there instead of doing the actual problem.
[Rick James] See, I never just did things just to do them, c'mon I mean, what I'm gonna do just all of the sudden just jump up and grind myfeet in somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on, I got a little more sense than that. ...Yeah, I remember grinding my feet into Eddie'scouch. [/Rick James]

Back
Top Bottom