So, who else is fascinated by the Deep Sea?

Almost forgot this thread existed.

Here's some more.

Giant Spider Crab - These things grow 12 feet.

Wolffish

Glowing Shrimp

Brittle Stars surround a Squat Lobster

Brittle Star

Venus Flytrap Anemone

Ocean Squatter

Bioluminescent Creatures

Frogfish

Dragonfish

Basketstar

Pale and Transparent Holothurian

Black Swallower

Hairy Frogfish

Robot Fish

Bat Fish

Ogre Fish

Rhinocondon

Barreleyes

Lancetfish

Basket Shark Mouth

Unidentified Creatures

Imagine if those things were still around today. I mean they're bigger than some yachts, can you imagine the destruction one of those things could do!?

I've always been fascinated with the deep sea and what is down there. Scary to think about how little we have probably discovered relative to what else is down there.

And I'm I the only one who cracks up at some of these fish/creatures of how damn ugly they look

The luminescent stuff though. That's why Avatar blows my mind. Nature can actually be like that.

when you got fishes called robot fish/ogre fish, you know you're somewhere freaky :smh:

those pics are nice, keep them coming :nerd:

i am. i took oceanography last semester at my college. i learned about the stuff in the deep sea. im fascinated by what is actually down there. but there isnt really anything big down there like you would think. im talking about far enough down where there is NO light. the animals down there are really small because there isnt a lot of food for them. by small im talking like a inch or 2. but a bit further up there are some freaky animals. they surface at night to feed then go back down to the deep during the day.

either way the animals look really freaky. fish that create their own light, huge *** jaws, and completely see thru ones. its crazy to think that theres so much more species undiscovered

i am. i took oceanography last semester at my college. i learned about the stuff in the deep sea. im fascinated by what is actually down there. but there isnt really anything big down there like you would think. im talking about far enough down where there is NO light. the animals down there are really small because there isnt a lot of food for them. by small im talking like a inch or 2. but a bit further up there are some freaky animals. they surface at night to feed then go back down to the deep during the day.
either way the animals look really freaky. fish that create their own light, huge *** jaws, and completely see thru ones. its crazy to think that theres so much more species undiscovered

Not trying to sound like a **** but how are you going to make those assumptions from taking a single 4 credit oceanography class? And then say most of its still undiscovered. How do you really know there's nothing big down there?

For all we know there's intelligent life down there.

In this case, I fear what I don't know.

Who says deep sea or deep space life will be friendly . . .

All I got to say is....

After the bloop you'll never catch me in the ocean. **** that ****.

Bumping this, ROV captured the first ever footage of the Oarfish.

Scientists have released what’s believed to be the first-ever deep-sea footage of living oarfish. The serpent-like denizens, which reside at great depths, are presumed responsible for spawning myths of sea monsters among ancient mariners. The footage was captured in 2011 via remotely-operated vehicle in the northern Gulf of Mexico, and released this week. (The full clip is 9:57 long but fast forward it to begin at the 3:40 mark, where the oarfish is most clearly visible.)

The ROV, operated by Mako Technologies and utilized for Hornbeck Offshore Services in what was called the SERPENT project, was conducting sea floor and water column surveys when the oarfish came into view.

Oarfish, which are named because of their oar-shaped fins and can reach lengths of 30-plus feet, are mysterious largely because of their near-lightless habitat and because the only specimens previously seen had washed ashore dead or dying.
One of the more recent of these encounters was last October at Cabo San Lucas.

A 15-foot oarfish came ashore on bustling Medano Beach and immediately attracted a crowd. It was barely alive and efforts to revive the “sea monster” failed, so it was collected for scientific study.
In 2006, a barely-live oarfish surfaced in a cove at Santa Catalina Island in Southern California.
Harbormaster Doug Oudin, who donned snorkeling gear and swam with the fish before it eventually perished, described its coloring as “metallic silver with bright blue-brown spots and splotches, along with its amazing pinkish-red full-length dorsal fin.”

Oudin added that the oarfish appeared to be blind, which isn’t surprising, considering that these denizens, which have large saucer-shaped eyes, live at lightless depths of 1,500 to 3,000 feet.
Little else is known about these longest of bony fishes because so few have been found, but, like the giant squid, they’re steeped in lore, believed responsible for spawning tales of serpents and dragons rising demonically to steal crewmen and sink tall ships.

Their modern discovery might date to 1808, when a 56-foot serpent-like creature washed ashore in Scotland. In 1901, a 22-foot oarfish drifted onto the sand in Newport Beach, California, becoming, according to one reference book, “the basis for many sea-serpent stories told by local bar patrons for more than a decade after its discovery.”

The preview to the title of this thread says "So, who else is fascinated by the D..." :lol:

Man, they funding space programs to explore outer space yet we haven't even fully explored our planet. Please post some more!

Great post, OP. Makes me want to look up every creature you posted. You have me wanting to learn about the Deep Sea, OP!

Back
Top Bottom