So, who else is fascinated by the Deep Sea?

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

Originally Posted by PleasurePhD

One of my fav topics to discuss. This video is very cool. If you can find the OG documentary it's much longer and the narrator explains things in detail. Check out the copepods at 2:45, freaking shooting out bioluminescent bombs for defense. SO COOL OMG!�
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I'm remember watching this during a science course I was taking a few years back, mind was definitely blown

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Hatchetfish.
paul-zahl-close-view-of-a-group-of-hatchetfish.jpg

hatchetfish_1.jpg
This !+%@ is freaking me out but I can't stop looking

Originally Posted by throwback1718

So does this void the statement that every living thing needs sunlight to survive? I mean light doesn't penetrate that deep and there are living things down there

Basically. Most of the animals that have been found down there are soft-walled (wormlike) single cell organisms that feed off of bacteria. They're been found on hydrothermal vents and the ocean floor.  The Challenger Deep is about 7 miles down...so light does not penetrate down there.

So I have a question about "The Midnight Zone," where the light stops. How is it possible? I'm pretty sure Ms. Frizzle or Bill Nye or one of my science teachers taught me something about light never stops travelling. Is it that the light is just so scarce that you can't see it? Does the pressure crush the light? Or does the light actually stop? And if the light actually does stop, why?

But anyway, Deep sea has always interested me. I wonder where it all stops? Like where is the bottom of the ocean? What lives down there? What do they eat?
eek.gif
So many questions.

Originally Posted by th3kid

So I have a question about "The Midnight Zone," where the light stops. How is it possible? I'm pretty sure Ms. Frizzle or Bill Nye or one of my science teachers taught me something about light never stops travelling. Is it that the light is just so scarce that you can't see it? Does the pressure crush the light? Or does the light actually stop? And if the light actually does stop, why?

But anyway, Deep sea has always interested me. I wonder where it all stops? Like where is the bottom of the ocean? What lives down there? What do they eat?
eek.gif
So many questions.

laugh.gif
You're overthinking it. I know it's a tad confusing because pure water is clear (most ocean water is not, you can't even see beyond a few feet down when looking on the surface), but think of it like this. Let's say I have a cotton sheet. By itself it's pretty translucent and if I lit a light bulb underneath it I'd still be able to see the light. Similarly if I am a foot underwater in a shallow pool I can still see the sunlight. But when I layer  35,000 sheets (or feet of water) the light isn't going to be bright enough to be seen from the other side. 
The amount of light transmitted through a medium like water isn't going to be 100%. After a certain depth the translucency of all the above water adds up and it becomes effectively opaque as if it were a solid ceiling and no light were getting through. Make sense? 

Originally Posted by taymane23

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

eek.gif
thats the shark I was talking about its been around for ages scientists call it a living relic

what is that? def doesn't look like a great white...never seen such a big shark...

giant-squid-4.jpg

^ this is what blows my mind to this day. this was video taken from the expedition in the sea of cortez. now i've seen this video and what the pictures don't show is the GIANT squid they were barely able to film. it was mostly out of reach for a good view but a few tentacles and the eye got caught...i couldn't believe it when i saw it. it is estimated that the squid was 108 ft long...that was the 1st and only time it was caught on film, they did another expedition a couple years later but could never find it.

108 ft squid....that can literally wrap around a decent sized boat
30t6p3b.gif
i def believe there are giant squids down there that are bigger than we will ever fathom. the video is featured on the first season of MonsterQuest on History channel, eps about giant squid in sea of cortez. its on youtube...too lazy to link/embed.

xbiker47 wrote:
whats the deepest point of the ocean?

The deepest point discovered is 35,814 feet at the Mariana Trench. However, we have explored less then 10% of our oceans...so IMO, there is def a deeper point yet undiscovered.

The knowledge being dropped is appreciated. Lets keep this thread going with other cool stuff about deep sea.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

giant-squid-4.jpg

^ this is what blows my mind to this day. this was video taken from the expedition in the sea of cortez. now i've seen this video and what the pictures don't show is the GIANT squid they were barely able to film. it was mostly out of reach for a good view but a few tentacles and the eye got caught...i couldn't believe it when i saw it. it is estimated that the squid was 108 ft long...that was the 1st and only time it was caught on film, they did another expedition a couple years later but could never find it.

30t6p3b.gif
i def believe there are giant squids down there that are bigger than we will ever fathom. the video is featured on the first season of MonsterQuest on History channel, eps about giant squid in sea of cortez. its on youtube...too lazy to link/embed.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]i remember watching this.... 108 ft.... ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT FEET. You couldn't convince me that there isn't something much bigger. Any kind of animal undiscovered or unseen forever long just gets scared and runs/swims away as fast as it can when a big as- metal box comes floating by. I watch a ton of nature docs... love those things, on some non [/color]
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] status though. I just find nature mad interesting. a lot more interesting than Jersey Shore and whatever other sh-- that's on tv anyway.[/color]

niketalk needs more threads like these lol.

can't wait for our technology to reach a point where we can explore more of not only our planet but everything else out there in the universe.

waiting for them to check under europas ice lol

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by th3kid

eek.gif
So many questions.

laugh.gif
You're overthinking it. I know it's a tad confusing because pure water is clear (most ocean water is not, you can't even see beyond a few feet down when looking on the surface), but think of it like this. Let's say I have a cotton sheet. By itself it's pretty translucent and if I lit a light bulb underneath it I'd still be able to see the light. Similarly if I am a foot underwater in a shallow pool I can still see the sunlight. But when I layer  35,000 sheets (or feet of water) the light isn't going to be bright enough to be seen from the other side. 
The amount of light transmitted through a medium like water isn't going to be 100%. After a certain depth the translucency of all the above water adds up and it becomes effectively opaque as if it were a solid ceiling and no light were getting through. Make sense? 
Ohh!
laugh.gif
 Okay. I get it now. I've been wondering that since like Elementary school. Lol

Originally Posted by im that one

Originally Posted by sreggie101

giant-squid-4.jpg

30t6p3b.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]i remember watching this.... 108 ft.... ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT FEET. You couldn't convince me that there isn't something much bigger. Any kind of animal undiscovered or unseen forever long just gets scared and runs/swims away as fast as it can when a big as- metal box comes floating by. I watch a ton of nature docs... love those things, on some non [/color]
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] status though. I just find nature mad interesting. a lot more interesting than Jersey Shore and whatever other sh-- that's on tv anyway.[/color]

6t1qfo.gif

Netflix has some really good docs on the deep sea and ocean life. Be careful though because Netflix is good at recommending more movies and you may find yourself stuck watching ocean docs al day.

Back
Top Bottom