SoCal Food/Grub Thread

Mario's Peruvian - that aji sauce is crack. lomo saltado. pollo saltado.

Original Thai BBQ - S2 all day. bbq spareribs

I lived in San Diego for a couple years.
Phil's BBQ is definitely worth checking out. I agree with OP - probably one of the best onion rings.

Mario's Peruvian is LEGIT. For you OC heads, you can hit up their La Mirada location off Imperial Blvd/Santa Gertrudes. Beats having to dip all the way to Melrose.

S-8 ALL day at Thai BBQ. w/ a side of sweet and sour sauce.

Phil's BBQ man. THEEEE TRUTH. Would definitely plan a trip to SD around going to Phil's.

Joey's barbeque in chino is bomb. I personally think its the best bbq spot in I.E.

I was put on to this spot a while back from a coworker, but from other folks that I've talked to they've said it wasn't anything special.

What do your recommend from here?

Also guys, I recommend Boiling Crab. Cajun food :smokin

The Boiling Crab market is so oversaturated now. You don't even have to go to an actual BC to enjoy the same type of food. Claws in Garden Grove is legit and doesn't have the same wait/lines that BC has. Another spot in the middle of DTF is pretty good too. To me, these types of restaurants are all the same. *shrugs*

Not sure how authentic it is, but it was my first dose of Cuban food... Those of you in the SoCal/OC area, there's a spot near Blends in Costa Mesa called Habana. It's also in The Lab.

HABANA, Costa Mesa ... 1300 reviews and 4 stars.

It's a bit on the pricier side, but the food was really good. (again, my first Cuban food trial)

We went to this spot right before watching Wicked and the wifey loved it. It's a couples/adults type spot and the outdoor seating is pretty cool w/ the dangling lights and candles.

Just tried out this new burger spot in Pomona called Rounds Premium Burgers. Cool little spot you can custom your burgers or just try one of their creations. Pretty good break from my usual Back Abbey burger spot. Any other burger suggestions out in the IE?

And had to post this my favorite season at The Donut Man in Glendora is when they got the strawberry donut. The other donut is there tiger tail. Definitely worth it especially when it's fresh usually from 8 at night on they got fresh donuts

Last edited:
Just tried out this new burger spot in Pomona called Rounds Premium Burgers. Cool little spot you can custom your burgers or just try one of their creations. Pretty good break from my usual Back Abbey burger spot. Any other burger suggestions out in the IE?

And had to post this my favorite season at The Donut Man in Glendora is when they got the strawberry donut. The other donut is there tiger tail. Definitely worth it especially when it's fresh usually from 8 at night on they got fresh donuts

I never had burgers at salted pig in riverside but i heard its good. Their pork belly sandwich is good though and their fries. If you love beer as well, they have an amazing beer selection. A little expensive but for the quality and portion, it's worth it.

Mario's Peruvian is LEGIT. For you OC heads, you can hit up their La Mirada location off Imperial Blvd/Santa Gertrudes. Beats having to dip all the way to Melrose.

Phil's BBQ man. THEEEE TRUTH. Would definitely plan a trip to SD around going to Phil's.
I was put on to this spot a while back from a coworker, but from other folks that I've talked to they've said it wasn't anything special.

The Boiling Crab market is so oversaturated now. You don't even have to go to an actual BC to enjoy the same type of food. Claws in Garden Grove is legit and doesn't have the same wait/lines that BC has. Another spot in the middle of DTF is pretty good too. To me, these types of restaurants are all the same. *shrugs*

I think Joey's is the best bbq in the area. When in comparison to like Phils, Phils will be better lol but they're also very different from each other when it comes to tasting. I go for the ribs, I prefer the beef ribs over the pork and they're both good and they both fall off the bone tender.

IMO, Pico is the best one.
Pico>>Manchester/La Cienega>>>>>Long Beach

Long Beach is terrible.

#1 and an Eclipse

-J-
This man knows!!! Eclipse or Sunset always hits the spot. But I think the one on Manchester/Main is the best one overall. I would go

almost every couple days, since I lived just one block away on 87th. Burger Palace across the street from Roscoe's has one of the best

grilled chicken sandwiches I've ever had.

For some good Italian deli sandwiches, try Fogia's(sp?) on Bellflower/Del Amo in Bellflower. Their pastrami and chicken parmigiana is on point. Good cannolies, too!

King Taco- is bomb! I only get all beef burritos with cilantro, onion, and green salsa with a Horchata (Cinnamon rice drink). Best one, IMO, is on San Pedro in DTLA.

Slater's 50/50-Good hamburgers, Peanut Butter & Jealousy is crack in a honey oats bun. Location in Anaheim and one in Long Beach.

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor- Good ice cream sundaes, huge portions, Chocolate Coke (weird, but delicious!), and really good chili cheese fries. It's an old school soda fountain shop type restaurant, so you can create any type of soda you want. I've only been to the location in Brea.

Buca Di Beppo- Italian restaurant that serves family style. Small portions range from $12-15, but can easily feed three people. Baked ziti and margarita pizza is good. Locations in Orange County.

Last edited:
If you guys are in the Alhambra area, try Savoy Kitchen.
Their hainan chicken is :smokin

+1 for Claws, it's better than BC IMO

I can also vouch for Bucket of Crabs and Crawfish on Pioneer in Norwalk, just north of the 91.

To the dude mentioning Bake and Broil in LB :smokin it's awesome. Go almost weekly if I feel like switching it up from my usual Pollys across the street.

To the dude recommending King Taco... :smh: :smh: :x

Gavilan in Downey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> King Caca

+1 for Claws, it's better than BC IMO

I can also vouch for Bucket of Crabs and Crawfish on Pioneer in Norwalk, just north of the 91.

To the dude mentioning Bake and Broil in LB :smokin it's awesome. Go almost weekly if I feel like switching it up from my usual Pollys across the street.

To the dude recommending King Taco... :smh: :smh: :x

Gavilan in Downey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> King Caca

I hate el Gavilan. Best tacos in the city are in east LA.

Taco trucks and taco spots over there: :pimp:

Shrimp tacos in baja tacos on Whittier blvd in east LA very tasty.phone inn your order especially around Lent.save you a lot of time

Shrimp tacos in baja tacos on Whittier blvd in east LA very tasty.phone inn your order especially around Lent.save you a lot of time

Anyone know any good Chinese joints that sell salt n pepper chicken wings? I want a lot of them though...not 8 pieces.

Can't speak on that one in LA, but the one in Downey hits the spot in a pinch being down the street from me.

But to say that KT is better? That's a funny one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom