SoCal Food/Grub Thread

Can't speak on that one in LA, but the one in Downey hits the spot in a pinch being down the street from me.

But to say that KT is better? That's a funny one.
To each there own, I guess. But I've tried the Downey location and the meat had a bunch of those fat, chewy pieces and it kinda grossed me out.

I can honestly say that their whole beans are good though. They have a good homemade taste to them. And they're free haha.

I can go for some super fires from Albert's right about now.

^ Ever gone to Sushi Cruise out there in Claremont? All you can eat sushi for under $20 including on fight nights (Boxing, UFC, or any other sporting event) pretty dope...

I still think Asahi is probably the best all you can eat sushi spot out in SOCAL.

Man. the corona location is ALWAYS packed. Still haven't seen it where there aren't people waiting outside to get in and eat.

Wifey and her moms been there like twice a month since it's opened. :lol:

Man. the corona location is ALWAYS packed. Still haven't seen it where there aren't people waiting outside to get in and eat.

Wifey and her moms been there like twice a month since it's opened. :lol:

ASAHI is great. Just tried their new Gangam Style Roll. So good!

I've never eaten sushi, the closest I've come to it is my mom's shrimp and tilapia ceviche. 

I wanna try it, but i'm scared to do it lol. Any tips of what to order for a first time sushi eater?

The thought of raw fish is what prevents me from doing this.

I've never eaten sushi, the closest I've come to it is my mom's shrimp and tilapia ceviche. 

I wanna try it, but i'm scared to do it lol. Any tips of what to order for a first time sushi eater?

The thought of raw fish is what prevents me from doing this.

I was just like this about a year ago, now I eat sushi just about every week lol

Gonna get blasted for this, but Pink's is overrated.
Don't get me wrong. It's not bad by any means, but the hype it's gets is unwarranted. Not worth the wait..
I go about 2-3 times a year and I'm more than happy with that.

Oh and for the sushi virgin up there, try yellowtail. Pretty mild when it's raw.

-J-

has anybody been to kabuki? one just opened up by me but i too consider myself a sushi virgin kinda since i only tried it once a long time ago but stuck to eating california rolls instead 
laugh.gif

^^ it's a decent chain sushi spot. A little overpriced for what you get IMO but can't go wrong

Gonna get blasted for this, but Pink's is overrated.
Don't get me wrong. It's not bad by any means, but the hype it's gets is unwarranted. Not worth the wait..
I go about 2-3 times a year and I'm more than happy with that.

-J-

No blast. Pink's really is overrated. The thing with Pink's is the waiting in line, the history and ambiance of being in Hollywood. Plus, the opportunity to possibly spot celebs on La Brea. :lol:

I personally would rather have a Costco dog/soda for $1.50. add a pepperoni pizza and you're grubbin real nice for less than $4.00. :nthat:

pinks is more like over hyped than overrated i think, the food is solid. It isn't so much the quality of food, it's mainly what mike said location, location, location. like most socal locals i've been there 4-5 times in my entire life. I would eat there a few times a year if there wasn't a 45 minute line at night time, too ridiculous. The better spot that I like over Pink's is Wurstkuche even though it's a bratwurst house not plain hotdogs, it's in d-town off alameda n 3rd, but on friday/sat nights there is a HUGE line just as bad as pinks :lol: , they did open another location in samo but I haven't been to that one yet.

I also heard from a co-worker that Sushi Cruise in claremont is very good, yet to visit myself though even though i'm 10-15 min drive from claremont.

Los compadres has to be some of the best mexican food in the greater long beach area.. theres a couple locations

This ***** all over pinks.. pacific coast hot dogs in orange, on chapman.. if you find yourself in oc, def check this place out

Blackbird cafe on orange and wardlow in the LBC. nice little breakfast/lunch spot.. some of the best chilaquiles ive ever had.

alondra hot wings is decent. a little overpriced IMO but better than hooters.. this was chili thai and honey bbq

to all the SD heads.. this is the restaurant thats on the 3rd floor of lexus of escondido.. called vintara.. yes its literally a fine dining restaurant on top of a car dealership.. south oc heads, sd heads.. perfect spot to take a girl for an anniversary or parents for a birthday or something.. the food was A+.. forgot what the sushi was, salmon below that, and the lobster mac n cheese below that was incredible

Last edited:
^^ it's a decent chain sushi spot. A little overpriced for what you get IMO but can't go wrong
thanks, i might hit it up this weekend or a local joint, see whose happy hour is better 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom