SOCCER/FUTBOL/FOOTBALL FOOTWEAR, KITS & GEAR - 2020/21

Didn’t even know they are not longer with Nike. With that said, I’ll look for their old kits at Nike outlets.

nike has been dropping like all their sponsored footballers from boot deals the past year or 2. they realized only the absolute top guys are worth keeping on. they even let guys like lewandowski go, because they weren't moving the needle for them as far as boot sales go

Right. Mbappe and CR7. Is that pretty much it? I thought Nike was going to re-sign Sterling or even was going to sign with Jordan brand. But went to NB instead.

I’d honestly love to hear the meetings about this at Nike. Like people buy a lot of basketball shoes. So you sign basketball athletes. But I guess cleats can’t be pushed casually (obviously) so the elite athlete co-sign might not be as profitable in soccer. Idk. But would love to see some numbers on how Nike soccer sales line up vs endorsements and if there is a drop off when a player gets dropped (aka neymar).

I’d honestly love to hear the meetings about this at Nike. Like people buy a lot of basketball shoes. So you sign basketball athletes. But I guess cleats can’t be pushed casually (obviously) so the elite athlete co-sign might not be as profitable in soccer. Idk. But would love to see some numbers on how Nike soccer sales line up vs endorsements and if there is a drop off when a player gets dropped (aka neymar).

Ney being dropped was (apparently) the result of an internal sexual assault claim.

But yes, Lewa, Ramos, bunch of older players especially haven't had their sponsorship deals re-upped; the younger ones that remain are more strategic. CR7, Mbappe, Haaland for the Mercurials; VVD for the Tiempo Legend (I think Virgil is essentially the only face of that silo); Kane (and maybe that's it) for the GTs. Nike has seemed to really be scaling back their soccer production overall. I remember the 2016 Euro generated a TON of training gear and fanfare at my local flagship store; this Euro has been paltry in comparison, even accounting for COVID.

But their supply chain is janked up too, I think. Boots on NDC at launch are often not even available to purchase and just hang out with a constant "coming soon" tag; never even made the Mbappe Rosa's available for purchase in the US, and I believe the Spark Positivity CR7 Superflly is still "coming soon" despite them having been released for close to a month now. Worldwide, the game seems bigger than ever, but Puma has upped their game and eaten up a lot of former Nike athletes (look how many people were wearing Ultras and FutureZs at the Euros). Adidas seems to be getting back on their feet too (the Speedflow looks amazing, and they've finally ditched the Nemizez).

1626430618172.jpeg

1626430639950.jpeg

Liverpool Away may be the best kit of the season, perhaps just behind Inter home.

Barça away is a swing and a miss for me. Neither of their kits are at all attractive this season.

Didn’t even know they are not longer with Nike. With that said, I’ll look for their old kits at Nike outlets.

if I remember right it was was they weren’t happy with the lack of promotion from Nike so they agreed to terminate the contract early

Liverpool Away may be the best kit of the season, perhaps just behind Inter home.

They just took Roma’s away jersey from last year and changed the colors and logos. Says a lot about that design they had

Mercurials sell. That's what most kids buy.

Nike used to throw sponsorships at everyone. Since the mercurials now dominate the market, I guess they figured they don't need for them to be endorsed as much

man unisport has some Adidas Speedflow AG boots that really got my attention...but just realized they don't have the carbon-tex sole plate. Was really looking forward to trying that

still super indecisive. Will prob just go with my vapor or superfly AGs

Tiempo Legend 9 dropped this morning. Snagged the "Focus" limited drop.

focus-2-min.jpg

https://www.soccerbible.com/performance/football-boots/2021/07/nike-drop-the-tiempo-legend-9-focus/

Was hoping the Rawdacious pack would be first out the shoot, but NDC is struggling so hard with ACTUALLY HAVING BOOTS AVAILABLE ON LAUNCH DAY over the last year that it's ridiculous. The Mbappe Rosa was never even made formally available in the USA, and we're still waiting on the Spark Positivity CR7 Superfly (maybe it will come out now that the tournament is actually over...)
If all you showed me was the front half of that pic, i would have told you they were the new Mercs.

Big if true. Why would Nike give up their most marketable men's soccer athlete, in a nation also sponsored by the Swoosh, playing a swoosh-sponsored club?

Nike is placing all their chips on Mbappe

…but NDC is struggling so hard with ACTUALLY HAVING BOOTS AVAILABLE ON LAUNCH DAY over the last year that it's ridiculous. The Mbappe Rosa was never even made formally available in the USA, and we're still waiting on the Spark Positivity CR7 Superfly (maybe it will come out now that the tournament is actually over...)

A continuing problem:

37E661E1-15AF-45DD-BB88-790AA4E6B9BB.jpeg

At this point, I’ll be surprised if these ever formally go on sale on NDC

Global supply chains are absolutely ****ed right now and have been since last summer. It's fallout from the pandemic. New stuff that's delivered wholesale in low quantities just in time, more or less manufactured on order, is taking forever. I just finally received an iPad from Apple that I ordered on release day at the end of April.

Last edited:
Anyone use grip socks? Are they worth it or just a gimmick?

I’ve tried grip socks. I think the results are highly dependent on how good of a fit you get with your cleats initially. I liked the results and feel personally - it can make your shoes feel like they disappear on your feet- but I wore through my pair (Pure Grip brand) within a few months and did not feel the need to re-up on a new pair.

If I was playing more competitively, I might seek that edge. For city league and pickup, I think I’m good.

EDIT: Lest I come off overly negative, I think it’s worth a try if it’s cost-efficient for you.

I got two pairs of TruSox from their Black Friday sale last year. I cant tell the difference between them and my regular Nike soccer socks when playing.

Your results may vary, but I wont be buying them again.

Just grabbed the PSG 4th (heat map) off FNL for $60. Anyone seen the Vapor (on field) version still hanging around anywhere? (S or M). Thanks!

Anyone use grip socks? Are they worth it or just a gimmick?
I have pure grip OG and pure grip pro socks...they have given me blisters as my feet sweat and slide around more in grip socks then regular socks. I think its because the normal socks i wear are just better materials / more absorbant.

All that to say i am off the grip sock band wagon unless something comes out and it gets rave reviews. But always wanted to try tru sox but couldn't pay $40 for a pair of socks.

on another note pulled the trigger on new vapor AG boots.
244013_thumb_0920253.jpg

Back
Top Bottom