-somalis talk about when ppl say their not black etc

This is where a women with a back bone needs to tell her parents she’s a grown women and will date who she likes and the parents better get with or kick rocks. Most American women ain’t letting their parents dictate who they date or sleep with. That’s some weak ish.
You sound wild with the most Americans part. A lot of people parents and surroundings dictate who people date. Now maybe when they are younger and want to be rebellious they don’t listen but the older you get ime I see folks just staying with whatever is the norm for their circle intra or interracial dating/marriage wise. I agree you should date whoever but I’m not naive enough to think that’s how it always goes at all.

What y'all African Americans fail to realize is that most Africans don't have the same experience as their American counterparts.

You have to remember that these classifications are the white man's classifications and are fairly new to the world as a whole.

Africans don't feel anything when it comes to slavery as they never experienced it. They don't have that chip on their shoulder that alot of descendants of slavery carry. Most Africans are prideful and rightfully so.

Being black by law is a person who comes from Africa... if most descendants of slaves aren't African why would they define them selves as the same ?

Alotta them east africans (somali, ethipioa, & the country nippsey hussle peoples is from eritrea or however u spell it) these people dont identify with us at all & gladly will help an arab over us anyday of the week

oh you don't say..... sounds like something said here months ago.. :smh: :lol:

Nipsey is half African american though. His pops and brother identify as Black. Otherwise his pops would have had a kid with a West African women. :lol: His mom is a black American.

Smashed East African joints in Vegas, ATL and DC.... they got some real bad joints...And never had a problem with any of the dudes I know either, they all cool wit me not on no funny ****

oh you don't say..... sounds like something said here months ago.. :smh: :lol:
white supremacy is what it is and it effects us all.
lets not pretend like that's not a major reason why ppl don't identify with each other within and outside of the diaspora.
lets not act like white supremacy isn't the reason why race as we know it is a thing in the first place.

On the the block of Lenox avenue between 125th and 126th streets, Red Rooster the restaurant sits. It is owned by none other than one Marcus Samuelsson, a Black man that I am proud to know. He does not abide by such foolishness. I have learned to accept those who do not claim Blackness as their identity, because it simply lets me know that when the time comes? Who to avoid.

This the guy that moved into Harlem and proclaimed that he was going to bring better soul food or an improved version of it or whatever? I’m good and his place sucks rather go up or down the block for the real deal.

You sound wild with the most Americans part. A lot of people parents and surroundings dictate who people date. Now maybe when they are younger and want to be rebellious they don’t listen but the older you get ime I see folks just staying with whatever is the norm for their circle intra or interracial dating/marriage wise. I agree you should date whoever but I’m not naive enough to think that’s how it always goes at all.

Dead a** my moms (god bless her soul) was oldschool with it... in my teens & 20s i was mainly into spanish chicks (specifically rican & dominican)& my moms / other women in my family ( including 1 of my female cousins who is mixed with dominican but identified strictly with my side of the family not her pops side ) always would make comments about i should date “my own”( aka other african american females ) my moms from soundview (1970s era)so she grew up & was cool with spanish heads but felt on a dating tip we shouldnt mess with them....i still did me but the whispers was definitely in my ear

How are ya'll defining the term black tho? Descendant of the transatlantic slave trade are not the only black people in the states.

The Eritreans, Somalians, and Ethiopians I grew up around consider themselves black and I have never heard them say anything different.

Africa is chalk full of tribalism but I have never heard anyone in Africa who was black not identify as being black. It's strange to even think otherwise. I have been all over the continent.

lets not pretend like that's not a major reason why ppl don't identify with each other within and outside of the diaspora

sectarianism has existed way before da thought or imaginative theory of white supremacy.

people been self segregating since da dawn of time.

How are ya'll defining the term black tho? Descendant of the transatlantic slave trade are not the only black people in the states.

The Eritreans, Somalians, and Ethiopians I grew up around consider themselves black and I have never heard them say anything different.

Africa is chalk full of tribalism but I have never heard anyone in Africa who was black not identify as being black. It's strange to even think otherwise. I have been all over the continent.
This. Dudes in here talking junk about Africans and African culture haven’t even been to Africa :lol:

that was before the concept of the races so it wasn't by race, that was by tribes or nationality depending on where in the world at the time. White people created the concept of race and racism along with it

sectarianism has existed way before da thought or imaginative theory of white supremacy.

people been self segregating since da dawn of time.

There are two things at play that Black Americans do not realize when it comes to Africans in the US:
- many come from wealthy or upper middle class backgrounds, which means that they are used to having a certain lifestyle that is far removed from the reality of the average American. For example, an upper middle class African is very likely to have full-time house employees (cook, guard, cleaning person, driver). Upper middle class Americans don't have that, let alone folks who are middle/working class or poor.

- in much of Africa, getting to the US represents an achievement in itself (immigrating here is hard and costly), and family pressure to succeed is tremendous. If you don't make it, you have to go back. If they don't live in environments that lead them to wonder about the African-American experience, you best believe that a good number of them won't know or care about redlining, the history of covenant laws, the use of the interstate system to destroy prosperous black communities, the civil war and reconstruction and Jim Crow, etc...

lets not pretend like that's not a major reason why ppl don't identify with each other within and outside of the diaspora.
lets not act like white supremacy isn't the reason why race as we know it is a thing in the first place.

I'm going to disagree on this. Cultural divisions among black people are real, and the existence of those differences has nothing to do with White supremacy. Black folks developed different languages, religions, and practices depending on where they were in Africa, and putting those developments solely on the hands of white supremacists is robbing the black person of their own agency.

The reason I hate these types of Youtube videos is because they interview a certain number of people but generally edit out most of the ones that disagree with what the interviewer is trying to prove.

Interviewer "I think Race A believes X"
Interviews 10 people, out of whom 8 disagree with X
Posts the other 2 that believe X on Youtube, and now you have thousands of people thinking "Oh damn, Race A really does believe in X!"

And yes, I know it works for people we generally dislike on here too. I highly doubt that most Trump supporters think Obama was president during 9/11, but one or two examples have been posted, and now people think that a significant portion of Trump supporters believe that.

I'm not black so I'm not claiming to be an authority on this, but I know plenty of people whose parents are from Africa, and I have never heard them made the distinction between being a typical African American and African (not that I'm saying those don't exist).

I'm going to disagree on this. Cultural divisions among black people are real, and the existence of those differences has nothing to do with White supremacy. Black folks developed different languages, religions, and practices depending on where they were in Africa, and putting those developments solely on the hands of white supremacists is robbing the black person of their own agency.
and I disagree with what you just said.
I don't need to be educated on what I already know and have experienced for one.
but you're wrong and so is ninjahood.

no one is going to sit at a desk or whatever and tell me that these divisions have nothing to do with white supremacy given the colonization (and recolonization) of Africa and the transatlantic slave trade as we communicate in languages not native to our ppl.

period. foh.

Can move to Africa and call myself African just because I'm Black and my ancestors came from one of the countries there?

Will their Government accept my Ancestry.com print out?

Do Africans in Africa refer to themselves as "African" or do they refer to themselves by their country of origin?

Do Africans in Africa refer to themselves as "Black" or do they refer to themselves by their country of origin?

I don't even refer to myself as an African American in America.

That term wasn't even popular here until the 80's when Jesse (Operation PUSH) Jackson starting pumping it up.

If a white South African, born and raised in South Africa, becomes a citizen of the US, what are they called?

I'm Black. Just like James Brown said.

Nationality ≠ cultural identity

Well, there are actually only about 3 families in the United States that can actually trace their ancestry back to where they were stolen from. That would be the family of Alex Haley, my family, and then one other. It was the main contention for reparations long ago.
I find that hard to believe. Not that your family traced its roots, but that there are only about 3 families who can.

and I disagree with what you just said.
I don't need to be educated on what I already know and have experienced for one.
but you're wrong and so is ninjahood.

no one is going to sit at a desk or whatever and tell me that these divisions have nothing to do with white supremacy given the colonization (and recolonization) of Africa and the transatlantic slave trade as we communicate in languages not native to our ppl.

period. foh.
There were divisions in Africa long before the Portuguese and British and French set up trading posts on the western coast of Africa. There were empires; who do you think they were conquering?
The languages and cultures I'm talking about are not those inherited from colonialism. My country alone has hundreds of languages and dialects (outside of French and English) spoken among only 24 million people. In South Africa, they have 13 official languages, and only 2 have a European origin (Afrikaans and English).
Do Africans in Africa refer to themselves as "African" or do they refer to themselves by their country of origin?
Within their respective countries (especially multicultural countries), it is very common to ask each other "where are you from," as in "which tribe do you belong to/which region is your family from." (I should note that malicious intent of the question is dependent on the context in which it is asked.)

in THIS day and age we aren't going to sit here and act like the diaspora doesn't turn their noses up at the diaspora and Africans on the continent and like Africans on the continent don't do the same towards the diaspora because of white supremacy. yes there are cultural differences but yes due to colonization and all that there is a black identity that was created and a white identity was created at a certain point as well and those are factors in everything at play right now.
i'm sorry but i'm not buying what you're selling. you're not the only one that has family outside of the country. sorry.

on top of that, we, the diaspora, have had our identities ripped from us through no fault of our own and we've had to basically start from scratch (although you can take an African out of Africa and you can't take the African out of the African as seen with our music, dance, speech, etc.).

only ppl duped by white supremacy seem to spread this we're different bull...
focus on the divisions. our time is coming but remember where you stand because we will remember.

meant to post this but...

there are many Fulani, Yoruba, etc. outside of the continent of Africa that have held on to what little any of us could being a part of the diaspora. the audacity of ppl to talk about how we are different and to dwell in division given exactly how the Portuguese, Spanish, etc. did us is disgusting to me.
thankfully, there are Africans on the continent, with and without the power and platform that include us and welcome us with open arms.

cultural divisions. smh. cultural divisions caused by Europeans but nobody wants to talk about that huh.
continue speaking in English. or Spanish. or any other language not native to Africa.

I find that hard to believe. Not that your family traced its roots, but that there are only about 3 families who can.
You have got to remember how the raids worked in West Africa, then how they broke up the tribes, then shipping them to different parts of the west. The only reason my family is known, is because my ancestor was taken after the slave trade was declared illegal.

Back
Top Bottom