Some of these NFL dudes are gonna have a hard time making ends meet because of the lockout...

No joke...

Despite warnings from the NFLPA, there are players on the Eagles who are financially ill-equipped for the looming lockout. Brandon Graham is not one of those people. Thanks to a first-round contract that reportedly guarantees him $14 million, as well as the guidance of a trustworthy management team, the former Michigan Wolverine is set up for long-term wealth despite short-term hurdles.

This makes him attractive to the needy and the greedy seeking some liquid – including his own teammates. By Graham’s count, at least two fellow Eagles have asked him for substantial loans to get them through the lockout.

The most he’s gotten hit up for?

“100K,

No joke...

Despite warnings from the NFLPA, there are players on the Eagles who are financially ill-equipped for the looming lockout. Brandon Graham is not one of those people. Thanks to a first-round contract that reportedly guarantees him $14 million, as well as the guidance of a trustworthy management team, the former Michigan Wolverine is set up for long-term wealth despite short-term hurdles.

This makes him attractive to the needy and the greedy seeking some liquid – including his own teammates. By Graham’s count, at least two fellow Eagles have asked him for substantial loans to get them through the lockout.

The most he’s gotten hit up for?

“100K,

i feel no remorse for any professional athlete with financial problems. and the eagles are my fave team.

graham trying to expose teammates

i feel no remorse for any professional athlete with financial problems. and the eagles are my fave team.

what makes this different from anyone in america?

plenty of rich people go broke.

Graham is on some $%%#* $@%%# %*@* tho.

what makes this different from anyone in america?

plenty of rich people go broke.

Graham is on some $%%#* $@%%# %*@* tho.

Gunna....you can say Graham is on some other #!%#, but if you have a base salary of 300-400k (knowing that a lockout is possible), there's no reason why you can't make ends meet while there is a work stoppage. It's a combination of poor financial planning, potentially spending beyond your means, and being ignorant as to what to do w. your paychecks with a cloud of uncertainty on the horizon. My .02

This is the only part that sucks....kinda like Tiki speaking on Strahan's contract
laugh.gif
  You can't air teammates out like that no matter how irresponsible they are w. their cash.  The dudes who did ask him for $ prolly wanna ring his neck about now
laugh.gif

Gunna....you can say Graham is on some other #!%#, but if you have a base salary of 300-400k (knowing that a lockout is possible), there's no reason why you can't make ends meet while there is a work stoppage. It's a combination of poor financial planning, potentially spending beyond your means, and being ignorant as to what to do w. your paychecks with a cloud of uncertainty on the horizon. My .02

This is the only part that sucks....kinda like Tiki speaking on Strahan's contract
laugh.gif
  You can't air teammates out like that no matter how irresponsible they are w. their cash.  The dudes who did ask him for $ prolly wanna ring his neck about now
laugh.gif

Can't blame him.  I'd be the same way.  How can you been financially unstable, and you knew a lockout was possible?  Players need to downsize their entourage and families on their payroll.

Can't blame him.  I'd be the same way.  How can you been financially unstable, and you knew a lockout was possible?  Players need to downsize their entourage and families on their payroll.

there's no reason why you can't make ends meet while there is a work stoppage. It's a combination of poor financial planning, potentially spending beyond your means, and being ignorant as to what to do w. your paychecks with a cloud of uncertainty on the horizon

Exactly, there's a big difference in somebody going into work one day and being told that day that they're fired or that the company will have to close it's doors in a week versus players that were told months in advance that a potential lockout might occur.  All NFL players should have put money aside for this timeframe.  Classic case of the 6 P's, proper planning prevents piss-poor performance.

there's no reason why you can't make ends meet while there is a work stoppage. It's a combination of poor financial planning, potentially spending beyond your means, and being ignorant as to what to do w. your paychecks with a cloud of uncertainty on the horizon

Exactly, there's a big difference in somebody going into work one day and being told that day that they're fired or that the company will have to close it's doors in a week versus players that were told months in advance that a potential lockout might occur.  All NFL players should have put money aside for this timeframe.  Classic case of the 6 P's, proper planning prevents piss-poor performance.

How is the story of financially irresponsible athletes any different than the story of financially irresponsible people in general? I refuse to cast judgment on these athletes because a vast majority of people in this country are equally irresponsible with their finances. For many years, leading economists were telling us to have an emergency fund, don't buy homes we couldn't afford and that the economy was going to tank soon. Similar to these nfl guys, most of us didn't heed these warnings and were left out in the cold in the current economic downturn. It is not a coincidence that a vast majority of people in this country are 3 paychecks away from poverty. How can we sit back and evaluate someone else's poor choices with money when many of us are doing no better.

How is the story of financially irresponsible athletes any different than the story of financially irresponsible people in general? I refuse to cast judgment on these athletes because a vast majority of people in this country are equally irresponsible with their finances. For many years, leading economists were telling us to have an emergency fund, don't buy homes we couldn't afford and that the economy was going to tank soon. Similar to these nfl guys, most of us didn't heed these warnings and were left out in the cold in the current economic downturn. It is not a coincidence that a vast majority of people in this country are 3 paychecks away from poverty. How can we sit back and evaluate someone else's poor choices with money when many of us are doing no better.

the difference is most rich people go broke unexpectedly...like when the stock market crashes, or they get fired unexpectedly. there's exceptions of course.

but these dudes had plenty of notice from the league to cut back and save with a possible lockout coming. even in general, for most athletes, it such a short earning period, it amazes me how many don't plan for the future.

EDIT: and yes, the financially irresponsible people who aren't athletes, both rich and poor, are just as dumb.

the difference is most rich people go broke unexpectedly...like when the stock market crashes, or they get fired unexpectedly. there's exceptions of course.

but these dudes had plenty of notice from the league to cut back and save with a possible lockout coming. even in general, for most athletes, it such a short earning period, it amazes me how many don't plan for the future.

EDIT: and yes, the financially irresponsible people who aren't athletes, both rich and poor, are just as dumb.

I feel like Cromartie is gonna be hurting more than anyone if this goes down

I hope Brandon Graham ain't talking about DeSean
30t6p3b.gif
cuz he's still on his rookie deal and hasn't been given that extension yet for whatever reason

I feel like Cromartie is gonna be hurting more than anyone if this goes down

I hope Brandon Graham ain't talking about DeSean
30t6p3b.gif
cuz he's still on his rookie deal and hasn't been given that extension yet for whatever reason

Originally Posted by aepps20

This labor issue has been an elephant in the room for the past couple of years.  As a professional athlete who had warning of the work stoppage, what type of life are you living that you would need a 100k loan from a teammate to make ends meet?  To me, there needs to be a reality check with some of these guys playing ball.  The average career in the NFL is what...something like 3 seasons?  What are they going to do when their professional playing days are over?    

This labor issue has been an elephant in the room for the past couple of years.  As a professional athlete who had warning of the work stoppage, what type of life are you living that you would need a 100k loan from a teammate to make ends meet?  To me, there needs to be a reality check with some of these guys playing ball.  The average career in the NFL is what...something like 3 seasons?  What are they going to do when their professional playing days are over?    

I'm not denying that these guys had advanced warnings of the labor issue but just like a lot of people in our world, they either didn't believe the warnings or they just procrastinated. However, just like the NFL labor issue was the big elephant in the room, the dangers of excessive debt, a lack of an emergency fund and the volatility of the housing market have been things we've known about since the late 80s. Yet, people ignored the warning signs and kept it moving until it was too late. My point in all of this is that financial irresponsibility is a major problem across the board in this country.

I'm not denying that these guys had advanced warnings of the labor issue but just like a lot of people in our world, they either didn't believe the warnings or they just procrastinated. However, just like the NFL labor issue was the big elephant in the room, the dangers of excessive debt, a lack of an emergency fund and the volatility of the housing market have been things we've known about since the late 80s. Yet, people ignored the warning signs and kept it moving until it was too late. My point in all of this is that financial irresponsibility is a major problem across the board in this country.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

this is the real issue. lockout or no lockout...dude's need to realize their earning power is over a very short period in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom