Some of these NFL dudes are gonna have a hard time making ends meet because of the lockout...

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by aepps20

How is the story of financially irresponsible athletes any different than the story of financially irresponsible people in general? I refuse to cast judgment on these athletes because a vast majority of people in this country are equally irresponsible with their finances. For many years, leading economists were telling us to have an emergency fund, don't buy homes we couldn't afford and that the economy was going to tank soon. Similar to these nfl guys, most of us didn't heed these warnings and were left out in the cold in the current economic downturn. It is not a coincidence that a vast majority of people in this country are 3 paychecks away from poverty. How can we sit back and evaluate someone else's poor choices with money when many of us are doing no better.
This labor issue has been an elephant in the room for the past couple of years.  As a professional athlete who had warning of the work stoppage, what type of life are you living that you would need a 100k loan from a teammate to make ends meet?  To me, there needs to be a reality check with some of these guys playing ball.  The average career in the NFL is what...something like 3 seasons?  What are they going to do when their professional playing days are over?    
this is the real issue. lockout or no lockout...dude's need to realize their earning power is over a very short period in most cases.

if i was an athlete, i'd never let someone handle my money, other than an agent if it was like drew rosenhaus. no way all these 'financial advisers' that most players have would have their fingers on my !@$*.

if i was an athlete, i'd never let someone handle my money, other than an agent if it was like drew rosenhaus. no way all these 'financial advisers' that most players have would have their fingers on my !@$*.

isnt there some sort of mandatory financial planning seminar they attend before their rookie season?
laugh.gif

i don't blame him for not loaning money.

disputes and problems happen over money all the time whether it be in sports (oj mayo tony allen, or the clinton portis buying his number 26 off someone who wore it prior to him on the ******** agreeing to give him 2 payments, making the first and bs'ing on the 2nd payment) or in real life when people are all up in your face when they want money but nowhere to be found when it's time to pay it back,

just because someones your teammate doesn't mean your close with him on that level where you'll be loaning him money. players get released and the guy you loaned 100k to could get released tomorrow and if no one picks him up then where are you gettin that 100k back from?

i don't blame him for not loaning money.

disputes and problems happen over money all the time whether it be in sports (oj mayo tony allen, or the clinton portis buying his number 26 off someone who wore it prior to him on the ******** agreeing to give him 2 payments, making the first and bs'ing on the 2nd payment) or in real life when people are all up in your face when they want money but nowhere to be found when it's time to pay it back,

just because someones your teammate doesn't mean your close with him on that level where you'll be loaning him money. players get released and the guy you loaned 100k to could get released tomorrow and if no one picks him up then where are you gettin that 100k back from?

its always funny hearing people on this site say, they dont feel sorry for pro and money situations. its always easy to speak from the other end of the stick, the most of us making less then 350k a year. NT always sounding like its full of financial advisers.
laugh.gif

Well i have 2 cousin in the NFL and a homeboy that plays for the Eagles. Trust me if your 21 years old and think your gonna play forever and somebody throws you 10 million guarantee. 90% of you guys will blow it just like alot of these dudes.

its always funny hearing people on this site say, they dont feel sorry for pro and money situations. its always easy to speak from the other end of the stick, the most of us making less then 350k a year. NT always sounding like its full of financial advisers.
laugh.gif

Well i have 2 cousin in the NFL and a homeboy that plays for the Eagles. Trust me if your 21 years old and think your gonna play forever and somebody throws you 10 million guarantee. 90% of you guys will blow it just like alot of these dudes.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

No one is sayign he should have lent him the money.

the ridiculous part is going public and telling a reporter that a teammate asked to borrow money.

thats just crazy

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

No one is sayign he should have lent him the money.

the ridiculous part is going public and telling a reporter that a teammate asked to borrow money.

thats just crazy

Originally Posted by Put em up

laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure the NFL hammers it in these guys heads about how long the average NFL career lasts, thus making it important to save some $ for your career after football.  If you're 21 and get 10 million guaranteed and ultimately blow through it due to ignorance/naivety, that's flat out stupid.  There are PLENTY of dudes in the NFL who are not in this boat.  As for the regular joe, I can't speak for everyone...but saving a little bit here and there goes a long way....you should always have a "Plan B" incase something were to happen.  Hopefully the dudes who are asking for these 100k loans smarten up about how and where they are spending their dough. 

laugh.gif

I'm pretty sure the NFL hammers it in these guys heads about how long the average NFL career lasts, thus making it important to save some $ for your career after football.  If you're 21 and get 10 million guaranteed and ultimately blow through it due to ignorance/naivety, that's flat out stupid.  There are PLENTY of dudes in the NFL who are not in this boat.  As for the regular joe, I can't speak for everyone...but saving a little bit here and there goes a long way....you should always have a "Plan B" incase something were to happen.  Hopefully the dudes who are asking for these 100k loans smarten up about how and where they are spending their dough. 

laugh.gif

word.

stop acting like "oh if you made 10 million you would do it too"

no i wouldnt.

i wish i would have a shot at a fraction of this amount of money these players get, i would make moves.

the issue is these non top 10 picks acting like they got money to blow, when they dont.

Yeah because these guys are supposed to know finances while getting through HS and College playing ball. Sorry but of course they will be terrible with their money do you guys even know where most of these guys come from? Do you know how many dependents the average NFL player probably has? Its not like these guys majored in accounting they majored in football thats how they have been getting by since probably middle school.

Yeah because these guys are supposed to know finances while getting through HS and College playing ball. Sorry but of course they will be terrible with their money do you guys even know where most of these guys come from? Do you know how many dependents the average NFL player probably has? Its not like these guys majored in accounting they majored in football thats how they have been getting by since probably middle school.

laugh.gif

word.

stop acting like "oh if you made 10 million you would do it too"

no i wouldnt.

i wish i would have a shot at a fraction of this amount of money these players get, i would make moves.

the issue is these non top 10 picks acting like they got money to blow, when they dont.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

These aren't excuses. 

These aren't excuses. 

laugh.gif

i don't think criticizing someone for idiotically blowing their money is trying to sound like a financial adviser. it's common sense. anyone who thinks they're a lock to play forever is just bat %#$% ******ed.

laugh.gif

i don't think criticizing someone for idiotically blowing their money is trying to sound like a financial adviser. it's common sense. anyone who thinks they're a lock to play forever is just bat %#$% ******ed.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

These aren't excuses. 

You dont have to have sympathy you just need to know the truth about a lot of these players situations. You guys act as if these guys were some Harvard graduates when most of these dudes probablly didnt even score over 1000 on the SAT. Look where most of these guys are from. How can you expect them to be fiscally responsible.  This news isnt shocking at all.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

These aren't excuses. 

You dont have to have sympathy you just need to know the truth about a lot of these players situations. You guys act as if these guys were some Harvard graduates when most of these dudes probablly didnt even score over 1000 on the SAT. Look where most of these guys are from. How can you expect them to be fiscally responsible.  This news isnt shocking at all.

once again its easy to speak from the another end of the stick. thats all i can say.

your favorite cars, clothes, shoes, house, women, fly trips, leaches, and bills add up. alot of those guys didnt say to themselves "im gonna blow all this money" the @!%# just happens. Yea they get advisers too, but at the end of the day its that young man money. And when you young and from disadvantage situations growing up. yeaaaaaa....ok

yea we're all sound mature with our money over the internet on Niketalk but....when you look into that bank account and see 6.5 million dollars at the gasp of your hands. its easier said then done.

[Jeezy]I got my grind on, i had to have that Benz![Jeezy]

once again its easy to speak from the another end of the stick. thats all i can say.

your favorite cars, clothes, shoes, house, women, fly trips, leaches, and bills add up. alot of those guys didnt say to themselves "im gonna blow all this money" the @!%# just happens. Yea they get advisers too, but at the end of the day its that young man money. And when you young and from disadvantage situations growing up. yeaaaaaa....ok

yea we're all sound mature with our money over the internet on Niketalk but....when you look into that bank account and see 6.5 million dollars at the gasp of your hands. its easier said then done.

[Jeezy]I got my grind on, i had to have that Benz![Jeezy]

Back
Top Bottom