Someone hit my parked car in my Apartment parking lot a few days ago...

and took off. It was on my Birthday of all days. My Mom woke me up and asked what happened to my car. I didnt know what she was talking about so I went out and checked and someone ran into the back of my car and smashed the back end in. I called my insurance and they had me take it to the body shop to get an estimate. I have full coverage so I figured id only have to pay a deductible of $500. Well they said itll be a few thousand to fix the car and the car is only worth a few thousand so theyre totaling it out. They said its worth $2600 but I know if it wasnt crashed I could sell it for atleast  $4000 no problem cus this is my 3rd car fo this type and the last one I had I sold for $4800 and it was the same condition. I have a deck, 4 brand new tires, and the car was only driven 5,100 miles a year. Plus the body, paint, and leather interior are all perfect. It was owned by an old couple who rarely drove the car. If anyones been in this situation is there anyway you can fight the value of the car to get more? I owe $1500 on it so they basically said ill be left with $600 after everything and ive already paid $3500 on it. They also told me what I owe goes to the lien holder which is fine but theyre making me pay the deductible. I dont get why I should pay it if they arent going to fix the car. Im going to call them back soon but I want to see if anyones been in the same situation how it was handled.

Ttthhhaaaatttt ssssuuuuucccckkkkssss.

edit: I think dyyhard (sp?) is in this business. PM him

There's nothing you can do about it, short of get more estimates of your car's worth.
Insurance companies are experts at fleecing the common man.

i work at a shop and all i can suggest you do is keep fighting and dont agree to anything till it works with you tell them what you think its worth and how much you want.. trust me ive seen customers do it all the time

The only thing you can do is try and tell the insurance company your car is worth more. You can bring up the deck and new tires to try and bring up the value.

Guilty of doing this to someone in the parking lot of a mall.
30t6p3b.gif

i work at a shop and all i can suggest you do is keep fighting and dont agree to anything till it works with you tell them what you think its worth and how much you want.. trust me ive seen customers do it all the time
Thanks. Im going to try this. My Aunt just told me when they totaled her car they undervalued it and she fought and ended up getting a few thousand more than what they originally offered. She said it was alot of back and forth but it worked in her favor. She got cashed out pretty good.

Your aunt is right. Straight up tell your insurance there is NO WAY you will accept such a small amount.

The same thing happened to me before. Insurance totaled one of my Eldos and tried to cut me a check for 5k at first. I told them to take into consideration the extremely good condition of the car and the fact it is nearly impossible to find an '02 ETC in factory ordered triple black treatment. I also mentioned the fact I had spent a good amount of money on maintnance and repairs. They wound up cutting me a check for an additional $3700.

thats why i never go thru insurance unless its absolutely needed, rather go get an estimate first and then deal with it.

Well technically, this would fall under your comprehensive insurance - would be considered a hit & run.
Your insurance is right though, but if you had custom parts and equipment/accessory coverage than you would've been straight.

Here's more info (per Progressive): http://www.progressive.co...-accessory-coverage.aspx

See if you have that in your coverage..

That sucks. Someone hit my bro's acura a month or two ago and took off in a parking lot. Definitely an suv or truck, but no security cameras to help find the person. The damage is still there, but just gotta deal with it now. Don't really want insurance going up so I'm gonna help bang the hood out a little and put some repair paint over it since we have it. Then the headlight will probably be replaced in the future. Still functional, but will need to be replaced sooner or later.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Well technically, this would fall under your comprehensive insurance - would be considered a hit & run.
Your insurance is right though, but if you had custom parts and equipment/accessory coverage than you would've been straight.

Here's more info (per Progressive): http://www.progressive.co...-accessory-coverage.aspx

See if you have that in your coverage..

First off let me say that I am in no way attacking anyone in this thread but I work as an actuary in Insurance and was a former adjuster. I am licensed still. I went to school for finance and risk management and no this industry inside and out.  There is alot of incorrect information in this thread.

Animal thug in no way could hit and run EVER be considered under your comprehensive coverage. Now for custom equipment if your policy has some type of endorsement may pay additional but it would pay under those special sublimits. The only two coverages you can use in this situation are UMPD uninisured motorists or collision. Comp is considered other than collision coverage such as wind, hail, fire, lightning, acts of god, vandalism or theft.

As far as the value goes that is always negotiable. What I suggest is do some homework and submit physical evidence of cars that have sold and what those prices are. Do not just argue with them that you want more bc you think so. Your company already has there documentation of how they came to that number. Moreover what most people fail to realize is that the insurance company does not owe you to replace your car but the lesser of the value to repair or pay for the ACV actual cash value of that property.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I will be glad to try and help you with anything to improve the value and what you need to say.

^ You're right - I apologize - it would fall under the Collision insurance, got that mixed up with the comprehensive. Be careful what you say to your insurance while on the phone, they'll notate everything.

^^^ All good like I said I don't want to attack anyone I just want to make sure people who might not be as educated in this subject get the correct information.

Believe me I know it can be a hassle to deal with an insurance company but you just have to have your documentation of why you think differently than they do. It is hard to assign a PERECT value to anyones car as everyones is different.

What you also have to realize from the insurance companies' point of view is that they hear from everyone that "my car is perfect/pristine/immaculate and better than everyone elses" and they have to take that information with a grain of salt. Most GOOD insurance companies will negotiate a price to make both sides happy as you are their customer/client, now for those non-standard carriers I can't say the same.

Originally Posted by bbrroowwnnssuuggaarr

and took off. It was on my Birthday of all days. My Mom woke me up and asked what happened to my car. I didnt know what she was talking about so I went out and checked and someone ran into the back of my car and smashed the back end in. I called my insurance and they had me take it to the body shop to get an estimate. I have full coverage so I figured id only have to pay a deductible of $500. Well they said itll be a few thousand to fix the car and the car is only worth a few thousand so theyre totaling it out. They said its worth $2600 but I know if it wasnt crashed I could sell it for atleast  $4000 no problem cus this is my 3rd car fo this type and the last one I had I sold for $4800 and it was the same condition. I have a deck, 4 brand new tires, and the car was only driven 5,100 miles a year. Plus the body, paint, and leather interior are all perfect. It was owned by an old couple who rarely drove the car. If anyones been in this situation is there anyway you can fight the value of the car to get more? I owe $1500 on it so they basically said ill be left with $600 after everything and ive already paid $3500 on it. They also told me what I owe goes to the lien holder which is fine but theyre making me pay the deductible. I dont get why I should pay it if they arent going to fix the car. Im going to call them back soon but I want to see if anyones been in the same situation how it was handled.
I really dont undertsand what your saying but i think i got it..

Insuarance said the car is worth $2600 and you only owe $500 right? So how will you owe $600 when said and done?

Also you can keep your totaled car if your insurance company total it out. Just ask them about keeping the wreck car, usually they will for a few hundred dollars or so

If you have new tires deck and leather interior then part it out. Sell the tires sell the deck and interior. Thats about 1k their

Originally Posted by asianplayer

The only thing you can do is try and tell the insurance company your car is worth more. You can bring up the deck and new tires to try and bring up the value.

That doest matter as it is inconclusive..

Agents use Edmunds and NADA to get value of car as long with other things i posted below

OP you need to go to area dealers who have the same car and year as yours and get quotes on what they are selling the car for.

Insurance companies uses dealer prices not private.

Find dealers in your area especially ones that have the same year and same model car  and get quotes so you can show the agent what your car is selling for in your area.

Agents go by the cars thats selling in your area.. So if the same car is going for 2k in your area say west coast but on east cost the same car goes for 5k, then if you live on west coast they will give you only 2k for it..

So basically at this point your going to have to go to dealerships and get quotes and find dealers selling the same car within 25 mile radius and show the agent

What kind of car is it??
[h2]Common Factors for Determining Vehicle Value[/h2]
  • Probably the most common method that insurance companies use for determining a vehicle’s value is simply using an appraiser. Professional auto appraisers are skilled in assessing vehicle damage and worth. After you file a claim, they’ll come to view your vehicle and determine its value. You may have to have your vehicle appraised before taking out an auto insurance policy in certain situations. Some insurance providers have their own appraisers, while others hire them from an outside company. If you don’t agree with the value the appraiser has set for your vehicle, you may be able to hire an outside appraiser for a second opinion.
  • Some car insurance companies have their own unique methods for deciding vehicle value. Often times, they’ll run down a list of important parts on a vehicle and give a rating to each one. This list usually includes parts like the tires, windshield, engine, seats, dashboard, transmission, and more. They’ll add up all of the ratings for each individual part and create an average rating for your vehicle. The higher your vehicle’s average rating, the higher its value will be set at.
  • Another method auto insurance providers have in coming up with a vehicle’s value involves extensive market research. Typically, the insurer will look at recent statistics in your area, such as how much similar vehicles are being sold for and if there are any known problems with your specific vehicle. With this information, they can come up with an accurate estimate of the vehicle’s value in your specific area. By using their own market research, insurance providers can also determine what risks your car may be at risk for and can http://www.autoinsuranceremedy.com/how-premiums-are-determined.htmladjust the rates accordingly.
  • You may have heard of auto insurance companies determining vehicle value through Kelley Blue Book or some other vehicle valuation service. These valuation companies report market prices for used and new vehicles. Kelley Blue Book is the most popular valuation service, although plenty of others exist as well. This is probably the easiest method, as it requires the least amount of money and effort from the insurer.

Back
Top Bottom