Sounding Black and Using Proper English....NOT an oxymoron!

Someone please come drop some knowledge about native tounges to these people.
laugh.gif

google "gullah" or something.
roll.gif

its about the environment you grow up in..it has nothing to do with Color..cmon yall we better than that

You can sound "Black or White" but its more cultural than anything.

Sounding black is about intonation and voice projectory......it's honestly just a sound.

But I could care less about Black people speaking proper English because we ain't proper Englishmen.

Once you are educated and have substance to your speech, it doesn't matter to me.

English is one of the most ineffective languages anyway and it ain't our native tongue.

They way a black person sounds when they speak makes them no less black than myself.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

You are pretty much insinuating that a deep/moderately deep voice = "sounding black."

smh.gif
@ this thread....
I don't see where he said that.

It's not about a deep voice. It's about not assimilating and losing your connection with your roots. I'm not even on that African American biz, butthere's no denying that the black culture in Amercia still has strong ties to Africa. Do white Africans sound like black Africans? No.

Black culture has it's own sound, look and feel. It can be diluted, disguised and disfigured, but it's it what it is.

I'm done.

You are pretty much insinuating that a deep/moderately deep voice = "sounding black."

smh.gif
@ this thread....

Now you know if you hear a Caucasian or a Hispanic person with a deep voice you'll be able to distinguish the difference

Originally Posted by haiti5

its about the environment you grow up in..it has nothing to do with Color..cmon yall we better than that
So a white dude from southside chi gon' sound just like a black dude? and if so....why does he?
nerd.gif
Who he grow up around?

Originally Posted by General Johnson

smh.gif
@ this thread....
I don't see where he said that.

It's not about a deep voice. It's about not assimilating and losing your connection with your roots. I'm not even on that African American biz, but there's no denying that the black culture in Amercia still has strong ties to Africa. Do white Africans sound like black Africans? No.

Black culture has it's own sound, look and feel. It can be diluted, disguised and disfigured, but it's it what it is.

I'm done.
And to add on...I would go as far as saying blacks as a whole [worldwide] tend to adapt to their slavemasters' languages differently.

Compare Jamaican english VS UK/US english...

For my spanish speakers...compare the spanish of places with high black influences VS nonblack. Perfect example is : Dominican Republic VS Mexican spanishaccents..Or better yet..Colombian from Caribean/Coastal regions VS Colombian from the Interior/Landlocked places...Even when blacks live in the interior for along time they still adapt to it a certain way. Black Colombians from Buenaventura and Cali,Cuaca have different ways of speech than their whitecounterparts...Should I drop some vids?

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Originally Posted by King Beef

They way a black person sounds when they speak makes them no less black than myself.
What race are you?

I'm black

Don't want to thread jack here. But my parents are from Africa but not decendent of slaves. I say I'm black but some people here in the states say youhave to be a decendent of slaves to be considered black, which isn't true.

Originally Posted by Mark Miwordz

how can u sound like a race/color? this is ignorance at its best
Ummm, have you ever not been paying attention to the tv but hear a voice in the background, most likely you'd be able to guess therace/ethnicity based on the accent or tone the person uses. There is a noticeable difference between dialects that (may) correlate with ethnic backgrounds

I dont understand what you mean. Some people have a deep voice and some people have a high voice. A white man can easily disguise his voice as a blackman's if he deepens his tone, by your logic anyway. I watched the videos and the only difference i noticed was the tone of the voices. I dont think it hasanything to do with race. if a young black man happens to be a softie and talks with a high voice, is he automatically trying to be white? Nah, he just has ahigh voice. You're trying too hard to make this into a race issue, imo.

Originally Posted by dope like louboutins

Originally Posted by Mark Miwordz

how can u sound like a race/color? this is ignorance at its best
Ummm, have you ever not been paying attention to the tv but hear a voice in the background, most likely you'd be able to guess the race/ethnicity based on the accent or tone the person uses. There is a noticeable difference between dialects that (may) correlate with ethnic backgrounds

That's if you're being stereotypical.

I sorta get what she is saying (I think). Like for instance say you call somewhere, and someone answers the phone, I can usually tell what race they are. Blackmen and white men's voices sound different I guess.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

at the reporter video

What race are you?

I'm black

Don't want to thread jack here. But my parents are from Africa but not decendent of slaves. I say I'm black but some people here in the states say you have to be a decendent of slaves to be considered black, which isn't true.

Not to negatively generalize and sterotype but a lot African immigrants are zealous about assimilation and their children end up adopting white behavior andculture. I have a lot of African friends and family so i'm not taking shots just speaking truthfully.

And that is a misconception of some Black Americans who don't know better...we are all Black all over the globe.

What race are you?

I'm black

Don't want to thread jack here. But my parents are from Africa but not decendent of slaves. I say I'm black but some people here in the states say you have to be a decendent of slaves to be considered black, which isn't true.
who said that? I dated a nigerian, and he was black as they come. Black is black REGARDLESS of continent/country (to me)

if a young black man happens to be a softie and talks with a high voice, is he automatically trying to be white? Nah, he just has a high voice. You're trying too hard to make this into a race issue, imo.
don't know about that...I know guys who have a higher pitched voice than I'd like....but they still sound black.

I mean, deep voiced white guy STILL sounds white though.

An incredibly ignorant thread.

A deep voice means your black? and if you speak proper english and don't have a deep voice, your trying to assimilate to "white culture"?

this has got to be one of the most simple minded posts ive ever seen on niketalk.

All black people have natural deep voices? That is incorrect.

Its not about deep voices.

You can have a high pitched voice and still sound black.
they not hearin' that tho
laugh.gif

I don't know of any examples tho, that I'd see on youtube...I mean, I know people but I can't record their voices and post them.

Op, so you're saying, if you picked up the phone and had no idea who was on the other line, you'd know if they were white or black EVERYTIME?

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

What race are you?

I'm black

who said that? I dated a nigerian, and he was black as they come. Black is black REGARDLESS of continent/country (to me)

if a young black man happens to be a softie and talks with a high voice, is he automatically trying to be white? Nah, he just has a high voice. You're trying too hard to make this into a race issue, imo.
don't know about that...I know guys who have a higher pitched voice than I'd like....but they still sound black.

I mean, deep voiced white guy STILL sounds white though.

Oh no you never said that. I was just speaking of people around me.

Okay you are clearly seeing something I don't here. If they have the same pitch ( white vs black) and you still separate them you have to mean that thereis a "black accent" becuase other than the pitch, the accent is the only other part of you voice right? I don't get it, maybe it's just me.

Alright check this out.
Im going to scoop to this threads level for a sec.
Would a black man be able to get a job with the way he talks?
Or would he have to sound white?

Back
Top Bottom