SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
It's because they made her look like ugly in the film.

I think the backlash is that either she is MJ or she isn't and having herself call "MJ" in the end just sounds dumb because she is a new character and now you got her saying she's MJ so what if they want to introduce MJ later on?

It didn't help that they try to hide it like she is going to be revealed as Madame Web or something when really she is just Michelle, a new character they came up with. It doesn't help that they tried to make her character this stalker-ish chick who may or may not have a secret but the pay off was a faux MJ.

Last edited:
That elevator scene when Liz was falling gave me heavy flashbacks and déjà vu of something else
laugh.gif
Even though the movie wasn't great, this scene alone was heartbreaking to watch.

I think you are giving Disney/marvel a little too much credit on the CBM front. They aren't going to make a non white person Mary Jane. They are slower on the diversity / going against the status quo

Zendaya is beautiful now that she's not Mary Jane. But if she were you know there'd be backlash from fans and racists

It's because they made her look like ugly in the film.

I think the backlash is that either she is MJ or she isn't and having herself call "MJ" in the end just sounds dumb because she is a new character and now you got her saying she's MJ so what if they want to introduce MJ later on?

It didn't help that they try to hide it like she is going to be revealed as Madame Web or something when really she is just Michelle, a new character they came up with. It doesn't help that they tried to make her character this stalker-ish chick who may or may not have a secret but the pay off was a faux MJ.

I feel like Marvel/ Disney are confident enough in their story telling and there overall dedication to source material that a minor change like the race of Mary Jane becomes irrelevant as long as the actor does the character justice and the story allows them too.with the few scenes Zendaya was in I've heard many people mention how much they liked her character and would like to see more of her. We got a crowd pleasing twist and one of the best twists in a comic book film all because people are so narrow minded when it comes to race. Your brain doesn't allow you to consider Liz could come from a blended family until it happened and was right in front of your face and as soon as you saw Michael Keaton come to the door you didnt ask any questions because it immediately worked and you realize the diversity angle they were working was absolutely genius. I love Zendaya as Mary Jane. Marvel needs to fully embrace her as well instead of playing this game of ignorance.

To me, it's not really the race, I could care less if they made her MJ and glammed her up and make her a model. That is perfectly fine but it's the execution that bother people and even if they make her MJ as is, then just say int he end that her names Mary Jane and that her friends call her MJ. Being secretive about a new character that is really a nobody in the film yet and then to throw "MJ" in the end just made little to no sense. Again I don't think it's race that people a baffled about but the way it was executed. As I said, either make her MJ or not, don't make her Michelle and be called MJ and then she was never really is or going to be Mary Jane Watson.

I get that to you this film can do no wrong and you'll twist everything to make it sound good and I get the "twist" you are coming from and how it could be beneficial moving forward but again it wouldn't be an in issue if they simply retracted the line about being called MJ.

The bigger issue for me is Flash Thompson.

Last edited:
Even though the movie wasn't great, this scene alone was heartbreaking to watch.

Indeed.

Speaking of heartbreaking scenes....When Peter was trapped under the rubble, I got in my feelings. Dude was about to cry :lol: "Help. Please somebody help me. I'm trapped"

Spidey movies always have some emotional scene.

Indeed.

Speaking of heartbreaking scenes....When Peter was trapped under the rubble, I got in my feelings. Dude was about to cry :lol: "Help. Please somebody help me. I'm trapped"

Spidey movies always have some emotional scene.

Dunst finding out Peter was Spidey in SM2 still gets me in the feels. It was so beautifully done.

And I really thought someone was going to come to help too but quickly remembered no one was around.

What old actor do you think they'll "CGI de-age" in a future movie just to give him the "With Great Power... line"?

Last edited:
And I really thought someone was going to come to help too but quickly remembered no one was around.

I was 100% sure Tony was about to fly in any second. I'm glad it didn't play out that way though. Him getting through it by himself was great for character development.

Even with Tony, Suit Lady (Karen) and Ned, this move never felt like there was too much hand holding.

I don't understand what the backlash or the apprehension on Feige and Pascal is to say she's Mary Jane. Zendaya would easily be the most attractive actress that's played the leading lady in a Spider-Man film. She's a model that fits the "Mary-Jane" look. The skin color can't be an issue when she's unanimously heralded as beautiful. When you had ugly *** Kirsten Dunst playing her for all these years nobody wanted to say, "that's not what MJ looks like" All Zendaya would have to do is due her hair red and play herself since she has good chemistry with Tom Holland.

you don't race switch someone like Mary Jane Watson to troll Comic book fans & wrap yourself under da blanket of "diversity"

that ish is lazy, especially with iconic characters.

Ninjahood prefers SM2 but I don't think he hated this film at all, at least it doesn't sound like it.

it was a good movie, just a weee bit too ultimate spider-man for my taste.

still da second best spidey flick after Spider-man 2.

Last edited:
you don't race switch someone like Mary Jane Watson to troll Comic book fans & wrap yourself under da blanket of "diversity"

that ish is lazy, especially with iconic characters.

Mary Jane is a character that has played nothing but damsel in distress in films and now she's been given a role where she hasn't been portrayed as merely a love object in Peter's life and shown as highly intelligent and no one can look past it because she's a POC. Never mind that she's actually a model like her comic book counterpart. Certain characters I agree shouldn't have their race changed just for the sake of diversity, I agree. It's why I'm not a Miles Morales fan, it's why I absolutely hated Michael B. Jordan being cast as Johnny Storm but a character like Mary Jane hasn't been given much to do on screen and truthfully not that interesting in the comics outside of her being a ploy for something going wrong or right in Peter Parker's life. I full on love Zendaya for the role and I think Marvel is afraid of the negative attention which is why they're playing the "she is but she isn't" game. Very lame on their part.

it was a good movie, just a weee bit too ultimate spider-man for my taste.

still da second best spidey flick after Spider-man 2.

I hate BMB and everything about ultimate Spider-Man in the comics but what they took to use from this film worked so well because it was such a realistic take but used the classic elements. I mean if you're under 20 years old would you recognize classic Nick Fury? The ultimate universe has gems.

i like miles Morales da same way i like Ben Riley...tasteful spin off of a iconic character that doesn't get da OG out da paint.

i even like da way they did da Nick Fury in da comics (Making him da son of da white Nick Fury, hence da black Nick Fury is JR)

Mary Jane too iconic to change up..thick red head wit da tiger flirting...yeah id be tight :lol:

mean if you're under 20 years old would you recognize classic Nick Fury?

I don't care bout da kiddies knowledge when...

i spent chunks of quarters on this :pimp:

Last edited:

I was 100% sure Tony was about to fly in any second. I'm glad it didn't play out that way though. Him getting through it by himself was great for character development.

Even with Tony, Suit Lady (Karen) and Ned, this move never felt like there was too much hand holding.

I did think seeing his reflection in the mask in the water was the cheesiest thing but yeah, it played out nicely.

i like miles Morales da same way i like Ben Riley...tasteful spin off of a iconic character that doesn't get da OG out da paint.

i even like da way they did da Nick Fury in da comics (Making him da son of da white Nick Fury, hence da black Nick Fury is JR)

Mary Jane too iconic to change up..thick red head wit da tiger flirting...yeah id be tight :lol:
I don't care bout da kiddies knowledge when...

i spent chunks of quarters on this :pimp:

That Punisher game is a huge part of my childhood. I used to spen endless hours playing it at Queens center mall. I currently have it on an emulator on my Mac. Capcom in the 90's was untouchable. This and Aladdin on Super Nintendo were just bonkers and we're not even talking about Street Fighter.

Last edited:
Saw it last night and I loved it, 7.5/8. Easily a top 5 MCU film and probably in my top 3 but I might be biased, Spidey has always been my favorite comic book character and they finally did him complete justice. I'm from Forest Hills too and I could relate to many of the high school aspects. Only complaints are Flash was meh and the final fight with Vulture was lackluster but everything else makes up for those. Can't wait to see how he interacts with the rest of the Avengers.

Kevin Feige Reveals Whether Or Not "MJ" = Mary Jane Watson In SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

One of Spider-Man: Homecoming's most baffling (and arguably infuriating) moments comes when Zendaya's character Michelle reveals to Peter Parker and company that her friends refer to her as "MJ."

Michelle has nothing in common with Mary Jane Watson and while it would be no bad thing for Peter and "MJ" to get together somewhere down the line, fans won't be happy if she ends up being a radically different take on the fan-favourite redhead. Well, fear not, as Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige and Spider-Man: Homecoming producer Amy Pascal as confirmed that Michelle is not Mary Jane.

"Well, we never even looked at it as a big reveal necessarily but more of just a fun homage to his past adventures and his past love. She's not Mary Jane Watson. She never was Mary Jane Watson. She was always this new high school character, Michelle, who we know there's an "M" in Michelle and an "M" in Mary. [laughs] So we're so clever and we thought, "Wouldn't it be neat if her initials were MJ?" And then I think it leaked that she would be playing MJ and then it became a whole headache for Zendaya to have to navigate. It was never a big, "Oh my God, it's a big reveal!" There are big reveals in the movie. That's not one of them."

Pascal added to that by stating, "She is not going to end as being Mary Jane Watson," while Feige would reiterate that by reassuring fans they're not changing things up too drastically. "She's not Mary-Jane Watson. Is she going to date Peter? Are they going to fall in love? She seems to be intrigued with him. There's a nice chemistry there. Who knows what will happen in the future films?"
I don't mind this except for the wouldn't it be cool if her initials were MJ, and hey lets have her say she wants to be called MJ too.

Corny as **** Feige. Don't let Pascal rub off on you.

Creating a new character is perfectly fine. Also leaves the option of Mary Jane existing out there for college or junior year.

I still would've preferred just calling her Glory Grant and bringing that character in to the spotlight.

Last edited:
Man don't blame Pascal for this. :lol:

This is horse ****. Just call her Mary Jane for crying out loud. It's not clever or tongue in cheek to call her "MJ" in the last 10 mins of the movie.

They literally have to do nothing with the character, the actress, or her personality. Just call her Mary ******* Jane :lol:

And :lol: at Feige fronting like "Michelle" and Peter ain't gonna end up *******

Man don't blame Pascal for this. :lol:

This is horse ****. Just call her Mary Jane for crying out loud. It's not clever or tongue in cheek to call her "MJ" in the last 10 mins of the movie.

They literally have to do nothing with the character, the actress, or her personality. Just call her Mary ******* Jane :lol:

And :lol: at Feige fronting like "Michelle" and Peter ain't gonna end up *******

This is straight from the Michael Bay School of pulling random character names out of a hat :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: Think about what ya'll expending energy on right now. Unnecessary on their part, but no way does it require this depth of analysis and furor.

The MJ thing reminds me of "Robin" in TDKR :lol: Cheesy af, but a cool nod to the character.

Doesn't bother me though.

Back
Top Bottom