SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
Venom and Silver & Black directors talk Spidey spin-offs

Though it remains unclear what shape the films will eventually take and how they’ll interact with Tom Holland’s friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, Variety spoke with the filmmakers behind Sony’s planned Spider-Man spin-offs, Venom and Silver & Black, to get an update on the status of the films and a tease of what they have in store for fans.

First up, Silver & Black director Gina Prince-Bythewood compares the film she’s prepping to the likes of Thelma & Louise and Midnight Run, saying:

“I wanted to tell the story of two damaged women who are at war with each other but need each other to survive.”

No casting or release date is currently set for Silver & Black.

On the Venom side, filmmaker Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland, Gangster Squad) likens his vision for Venom as closer to a horror film, in the vein of John Carpenter or David Cronenberg.

“I’ve always been drawn to the more antihero superheroes,” he says. “There’s a dark element to [Venom] and a wit that has always appealed to me.”

Fleischer also teased Eddie Brock and the Symbiote will have a Jekyll/Hyde relationship in the film.

“They become almost a third being, which is what Venom is. There’s a famous quote: ‘You’re Eddie Brock. I’m the symbiote. Together we are Venom.’”

Tom Hardy is set to play the titular anti-hero in the film, which will see none other than Carnage as its antagonist. Venom will arrive in theaters on October 5, 2018.

Hamill can still play Mendell Stromm/Gaunt, stretch his acting to play Fredrick Foswell, and really shine as Miles Warren a.k.a. The Jackal.

Just rewatched Spider-Man 2 with Spider-Tobey. Haven't seen it in forever. Movie still fire :hat

comiccon0071.jpg

VENOM Will Be A Horror Film While SILVER & BLACK Goes Down The Buddy Route; New Plot Details Revealed

Spider-Man: Homecoming was a triumph but Sony remains intent on moving forward with spinoffs not set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (or even in a world where the wall-crawler exists). It's hard to say how that's going to work out for them but considering the fact they hold the rights to around 900 Marvel characters - a figure now confirmed by Variety - they have a whole hell of a lot of options.

Apparently, each of these movies is going to be very different; some could go the R-Rated route while others will have much lower budgets and Venom is viewed by the studio as a horror film, while Silver & Black is being compared to buddy films like Midnight Run and Thelma & Louise. Worlds apart then!

"I wanted to tell the story of two damaged women who are at war with each other but need each other to survive," says director Gina Prince-Bythewood who went on to say that after exploring the origins of each character, it seems their decisions have ties to the role played in their lives by their parents. So, daddy issues? Who knows, but Columbia Pictures' Sanford Panitch is excited about this direction. "It’s not so much that characters have a cape and fly. In “Silver & Black,” these two women are modern and cool. … They may wear costumes, but [they’re] very real and very grounded."

Venom, meanwhile, will be helmed by Zombieland's Ruben Fleischer and he has some very interesting ideas about where to take Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock. "I’ve always been drawn to the more antiherosuperheroes. There’s a dark element to [Venom] and a wit that has always appealed to me." The film is set to delve into the character's origin story (sans Spider-Man?) and the Jekyll and Hyde relationship Brock has with the alien symbiote. "They become almost a third being, which is what Venom is. There’s a famous quote: ‘You’re Eddie Brock. I’m the symbiote. Together we are Venom.’"

Panitch adds to that by emphasising Venom's horror roots and stating that it will draw on the work of Jfilmmakers like John Carpenter and David Cronenberg while delivering "more pop and fun." He won't be tied down to confirming a Spider-Man appearance, though, stating: "If we get lucky enough to make more than one [Venom film] and continue the franchise, there are lots of opportunities."

He's just as vague when it comes to Kraven the Hunter too as the studio exec would neither confirm nor deny plans for him to get his own solo movie. "He’s an awesome character," Panitch says. "Let’s just leave it at that."

Idk I liked the old Spider-Man better.

Literally the only reason I went to the movies to go watch this was because I heard about childish gambino being in it (actually thought he was playing Spider-Man LMAO) other than that I would've saved my $20.

This one felt so kiddy. I feel like the other spider man movies 1-3 had WAY better serious scenes. Scenes that made you laugh, had you happy, literally made you wanna cry (as a kid)

I'm getting Elektra vibes from these Spideyless Spiderverse movies. It's like the Joey show. They're going to pluck these popular characters that work great in an ensemble and try to sell them without the rest of the parts that make them work.

Literally the only reason I went to the movies to go watch this was because I heard about childish gambino being in it (actually thought he was playing Spider-Man LMAO) other than that I would've saved my $20.

This one felt so kiddy. I feel like the other spider man movies 1-3 had WAY better serious scenes. Scenes that made you laugh, had you happy, literally made you wanna cry (as a kid)

Did you know that Spider-Man's popularity stemmed from him being a 15 year old kid that had to learn real world lessons on top of super hero lessons as oppose to a 27 year old man who cries over the same woman that his best friend and his bosses son was smashing before he was...

What you watched was the REAL Spider-Man

I'm getting Elektra vibes from these Spideyless Spiderverse movies. It's like the Joey show. They're going to pluck these popular characters that work great in an ensemble and try to sell them without the rest of the parts that make them work.

It's really just a bad idea on all fronts. Let The best idea is to push Venom into 2019 after Avengers 4 and the Spider-Man sequel and have Spider-Man be in your Venom film briefly but the right way. I'm pretty sure Marvel Would prefer the chance to introduce the symbiote in their space epic and they can let Sony piggy back off that. Spider-Man needs to wear the symbiote before Venom. It's the only way to make a Venom film work.

How would you think Donald Glover was playing Spider-Man though?! Especially with Civil War being a huge entry and story within the MCU.

Still dont understand why theyre making a Spiderman spinoff universe without Spiderman. But whatever, Sony. Do you, boo boo.

Did you know that Spider-Man's popularity stemmed from him being a 15 year old kid that had to learn real world lessons on top of super hero lessons as oppose to a 27 year old man who cries over the same woman that his best friend and his bosses son was smashing before he was...

Yeah so I've heard. Doesn't change my opinion that this one wasn't as good imo. Spider-Man 2 with doc oc? Mannnn so goood.

How would you think Donald Glover was playing Spider-Man though?! Especially with Civil War being a huge entry and story within the MCU.

lol man I know bro. Super L on my part. For some reason I saw bunch of ppl talking about gambino in the movie and how he did such a great job I assumed he was Spider-Man. You should seen my face when the lil white kid comes on lmao. Legit only reason I spent my money on it was me thinking gambino was gonna be spidey. Hyped my girl up and everything enough to go

All I think of when it comes to SM2 is Tobey making stupid crying faces, his boyish voice, and snaggletooth ruining the movies

man she wasn't even snaggletooth back then, she was still coming off the wet-hard-nippled kissing scene that most yall fapped to back then lol

Spider-man 2 with Doc Oc you say?

I liked SPM 3 as well. When he smacked ol girl in the Restaraunt lmao.Honestly all 3 movies were fire. I only disliked the last two. (Latest one wasn't bad at all just not what I was expecting)

All I think of when it comes to SM2 is Tobey making stupid crying faces, his boyish voice, and snaggletooth ruining the movies

Straight trippin lol. How old were u when it dropped? maybe since I was kid it's more nostalgic. Literally loved Spider-Man around that time. Had the games for ps2 and everything. The old Movies will never be forgotten for me. This new one I will never watch again willingly

Peter was only 15 in the Ultimage universe. Dude was in ESU like 15 issues in amazing.

The first issue of Amazing Fantasy where Spider-Man was introduced was in August of 1962 where Peter first developed his powers at 15. The first issue of Amazing Spider-Man was March of 1963. Peter didn't start at Empire State university until Amazing Spider-Man #31....which was in December of 1965. Good 2 years he spent in high school

Elektra vibes? How?

Also are you saying the Elektra movie needed Daredevilffleck in it for it to work/be good?

I mean its not like Sony is actually making that Aunt May secret agent movie yet

They're not even supporting characters or members of a team. They're villains or heroes/vigilantes in their own right. To establish them as solo acts or just separate from where they debuted or which hero they're associated with you gotta have them branch off. For movies they gotta go hard.

Really? I feel sorry for you.

Not talking about that, though. Spideys popularity was not because he was a 15 year old kid.

His stories started being great once he was at ESU

Not talking about that, though. Spideys popularity was not because he was a 15 year old kid.

His stories started being great once he was at ESU

His popularity was exactly because he was 15 and the issues he was going through

Exactly How i Felt, Didn't Want to Rain On The Parade In Here After the Movie Released, but It Seemed Hella Bubble gum To Me, Wasn't Feeling It All That Much, But It Was Way better Than Weak *** GOTG2

I Mean... i See What Your Saying.... But SpiderMan TAS Is My Spider-Man
♂️

The premise and appeal of HS Spidey is what endeared him over all the other superheroes at the time

The ESU era is when Spider-Man cemented himself as the GOAT superhero

Back
Top Bottom