SPUMC Thread - RIP STAN LEE - ACROSS THE SPIDERVERSE out now

HOW WAS SPIDERMAN:HOMECOMING?

• It's a Masterpiece!!! (kiLLerisLame was right)

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • Not the Best but Top 5 Easily (like Lebron)

Votes: 44 25.1%
  • Above Average, Maybe Top 10 (butF4notBYKE)

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Average (like Duff and Milana and M5s)

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Terrible (this will get 1 vote and it's from AmeL w/ another L)

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
Revenge of the nerds looks are dated, Tobys polo wearing with glasses look is pretty close to a geek today.

It might just be me but Toby with glasses looks like a nerd while Garfield with the glasses just makes him look cool, not smart or a genius, talking strictly face here. Probably the hair. Actually clothes-wise Garfields jacket is kind of cool too while Tobys is pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
@blaster

In the 616 version, not the ultimate version this peter is based on.

Last edited:
Revenge of the nerds looks are dated, Tobys polo wearing with glasses look is pretty close to a geek today.

It might just be me but Toby with glasses looks like a nerd while Garfield with the glasses just makes him look cool, not smart or a genius.

Looks doesn't determine smartness

Well duh! But this is a movie and you have to convey the dude the way he was int he comics, a nerd. And looks is what we are discussing so not you can't make it valid by making the character look smart?

So they should hire the Rock or Vin Diesel as Peter Parker because you can just tell the audience dude is smart and looks shouldn't matter?

They have to look the part to some extent and that is why they do not just hire anyone who could act, same way they have to make their body more accurate, Spidey was never too muscular like Superman, he is kind of drawn lanky in comparison so those have to be kept in mind.

Last edited:
Well duh! But this is a movie and you have to convey the dude the way he was int he comics, a nerd. And looks is what we are discussing so not you can't make it valid by making the character look smart?

So they should hire the Rock or Vin Diesel as Peter Parker because you can just tell the audience dude is smart and looks shouldn't matter?

They have to look the part to some extent and that is why they do not just hire anyone who could act, same way they have to make their body more accurate, Spidey was never too muscular like Superman, he is kind of drawn lanky in comparison so those have to be kept in mind.

And Garfield looks the part, 616 and Ultimate. Peter was always tall and lean not short and stocky.

Last edited:

And Garfield looks more the part, 616 and Ultimate. Peter was always tall and lean not short and stocky.

Eh, that's arguable because he's been drawn so many way. You can also pick and choose in which Toby fits the part too.

Even as Spiderman, he is drawn differently all the time. Tobey fits with the leaner side of Spidey while Garfield definitely works better for the Ultimate version. Hell there was even question on Garfield being too skinny to be Spidey when he was first hired, it still isn't the typical Spidey look that most were used to.

Last edited:
Best costume though, hands down the new ASM2 >

The new big eyes and return to classic suit that isn't as dark as ASM is great.

Eh, that's arguable because he's been drawn so many way. You can also pick and choose in which Toby fits the part too.

Even as Spiderman, he is drawn differently all the time. Tobey fits with the leaner side of Spidey while Garfield definitely works better for the Ultimate version. Hell there was even question on Garfield being too skinny to be Spidey when he was first hired, it still isn't the typical Spidey look that most were used to.

Yeah he's drawn so many ways, but you picked a few pics of when he was in HS vs when he was an adult, and the cartoon doesn't count because everyone was buff in the 90's :lol:

No matter the incarnation, he was always tall and lean going towards adulthood. At least from what I remember.

Last edited:
But ASM has him in High School while SM has him as a semi-adult...

And just fyi, Garfield is only an inch taller than Toby so there isn't a staggering height difference there. Toby is leaner than Garfield for sure but he isn't short and stocky as you imply, he needs to be bulkier and wider to be considered stocky.

I don't think Spidey is exactly considered tall either, he doesn't really tower over people, he's probably considered regular height and maybe borderline short? He just looks tall because he is drawn slender these days?

Well when in the suit, Maguire looked a bit thick (pause) compared to Garfield, which is how I always imagined Spiderman should be translated to screen. I guess because Garfield isnskinnier, it makes him look a bit taller.

Maybe, he's been drawn both ways though so it can go both ways. There were definitely questions of Garfield being too skinny though when they first revealed him in the costume, it wasnt until pointed out the ultimates version til people calmed a bit. Darker shade didnt help either.

You also cant discount the 90s, i grew up in the 90s and i think most of us here did.

Almost everything about Garfield's protrayal of Peter/Spidey puts me off. It's his voice and attitude. Garfield's British, so his accent's a put-on, and it's a good one, but he can only do his one kinda NYer. And he sounds like an annoying ******* all the time.

He sounds like this guy looks:

Yankee_fans061912.gif

And forget the "looking too cool" thing. It's not the nerd thing. Nerd isn't any 1 thing, so whatever way he looks...just sell it to me and we're good. But he carries himself like he's in a band, and only doesn't sit at the cool table, cuz the cool kids annoy the **** outta him. He's Heath Ledger's character in 10 Things I Hate About You.

It just all feels wrong to me, so I end up just pretending this ain't Spider-Man, cuz he is a good actor, and he does have a lot of chemistry with Emma Stone, so that's at least something. But every time I watch an ad, hear his voice or see him out of his costume..

It reminds me of Anna Paquin playing Rogue. It feels completely wrong for what it should be, but still like a real character. In her case, I just accepted that she's really just Kitty Pryde, with Rogue's powers. In my mind, I just pretend like Garfield's Human Torch in a Spidey costume.

Last edited:
Garfield is way better than Tobey's Goofy ***

These movies> Raimi Trilogy

Movies? Son, you've seen 1, and it was just decent.

And I've never liked Tobey, but he was perfect for that kinda Spider-Man. Goofy was what they were going for.

Last edited:
I really think SM3 just ruined the whole franchise for most, if that crap didn't come out, SM1 & SM2 would probably be in everyone's top 5 to this day. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, SM3 really took the shine outta everyone.

Like I said, just watched SM2 this weekend, and the whole raindrops keep fallin on my head song and walk with Pete feelin all good, sorta gave me the SM3 vibe, like, Raimi REALLY wanted to do this in 2, but chickened out, and then brought it for 3. :smh:

Cuz that song/scene bothered me with 2, but the rest of the movie was really solid, so I kinda move past it. 3 damn near had him out there like Saturday Night Fever. :x

Back
Top Bottom