Standing up to your boss. Yay or Nay

Morning NT.

This is a topic I talk about to my friends and co workers. i have a boss who in their mind is NEVER WRONG. in their eyes anything that is done wrong is the workers fault when most of the time the instructions/ direction given is obviously theirs. Memory is so bad they'll tell you to do something then the next day ask why it was done that way and proceed to yell and tell you it was supposed to be done another way.... but if you tried to tell them they were wrong or they instructed you differently it would be WW3.

ive got pretty thick skin so i let it slide most of the time but ive seen workers cry endlessly because of it.

Anyone ever experience something like this? how did you handle it? did you guys defend yourselves?

Did it in the past because I had a pretty cordial relationship with corporate, and Human Resources. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you had an advantage like that or you don't care if you get fired.

That boss hated me after I started standing up to him when he was wrong or messing up though.

Instructions or guidelines given by him should be requested to be put in writing so that everyone is aware of his expectations.

That way, if he says something opposite of what he initially said, you have proof.

Have they spoken to HR about the issues that are going on? Are the things he says when he flips out negative and unprofessional?

I work with a director that doesn't really do a lot.

We're both TMT guys so I get paired with him on a lot of deals.

He didn't talk to me like a professional, despite the massive amounts of work.

I had to straight up tell him once "yo, man... I really feel like you don't respect me as a professional. Am I missing something or being too sensitive? "

We hashed it out and it's been a great relationship since.

I say that to say you're probably young... But at some point in your career, you have to be an adult and directly let people know whats good...

And there are tactful ways to do it. You just have to know when the right time is and when you have the seniority to do it.

OP you work with me and I don't know it? :lol: my boss tends to be the same.

He's very quick to get defensive and always have the final words in a convo. Micromanaging is his downfall; he tries to be too involved. There was a point last week where I sort of got snarky with him and he eventually backed off. Won't lie it felt good.

Instructions or guidelines given by him should be requested to be put in writing so that everyone is aware of his expectations.

That way, if he says something opposite of what he initially said, you have proof.

Have they spoken to HR about the issues that are going on? Are the things he says when he flips out negative and unprofessional?
damn need to implement this in my mindset... sometimes the attacks get personal

OP you work with me and I don't know it? :lol: my boss tends to be the same.

He's very quick to get defensive and always have the final words in a convo. Micromanaging is his downfall; he tries to be too involved. There was a point last week where I sort of got snarky with him and he eventually backed off. Won't lie it felt good.
BRUHHHH MY LIFEEEEE

I have that same boss. Yardie from the bx so no doubt I've blown up on him a few times. I will say it's not worth it, I've regretted it as it ends up being like when you argue with an illogical female, you won't win. And he already has the position, nothing you can do to change that. Your perception of him is different than upper management, but he controls your perception to upper management, naw mean?

Instead of him making stupid decisions all the damn time, he can just say you're a troublemaker and not a team player while he continues to **** up the team and push away good people.

Last edited:

/ Thread

I've dealt with a manager like that in the past.

It was a production team of about 5 of us and he was the production manager at the time.

Dude would go off on some of my coworkers. Treat them like children.

Dude tried to flex on me once and I deaded it right on the spot.

Told him we men, word to D Rose, no need to get loud. Dude apologized and that was the end of that.

Worked with dude for about 5 years until he got fired for physically fighting with a manager in a different department. :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Write down EVERYTHING...dates/times/etc. Just so your bases are covered.

I've dealt with a manager like that in the past.

It was a production team of about 5 of us and he was the production manager at the time.

Dude would go off on some of my coworkers. Treat them like children.

Dude tried to flex on me once and I deaded it right on the spot.

Told him we men, word to D Rose, no need to get loud. Dude apologized and that was the end of that.

Worked with dude for about 5 years until he got fired for physically fighting with a manager in a different department.
roll.gif
roll.gif
It's crazy how some people really act in the workforce.

I had to call my previous boss for complaining about an issue without suggesting one solution to the problem. All she wanted to do was gossip about the people who made the mistake 
mean.gif

I learned all the things NOT to do from my previous manager. Now that I manage a team, I'm learning how to let my leads take charge of tasks and simply fill me in when they have to.
Exactly. Get a timeline going for proof in case this dude gets out of pocket again.

Exactly. Get a timeline going for proof in case this dude gets out of pocket again.

Word. Everything is C.Y.A. I've dealt with managers like that before and that's all it comes down to. You either wait it out until they get weeded or you find better opportunity. You and your co-workers should've been keeping a list and been dealing with your HR. If you haven't yet, start asap.

If HR calls you, and you have documentation supporting your claims, you'll have a valid case.

If there's a questionable email chain, print it.

If there's a slick comment/action from the boss, document it.

Build your case.

Back
Top Bottom