Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on the SW universe, not a die hard, and I really enjoyed this film. A ton. As a film, it was excellent; As a Star Wars film, it was excellent. Imo. There was too much corny humor, but I can let that slide since this is Disney running the show.

I consider myself a traditionalist (prefer OT to the others) but I liked The Last Jedi. I think the original plot points were what was missing in The Force Awakens (though there were plenty of "rhyming" moments in TLJ, too), but TFA "felt" like Star Wars more than TLJ. I think I liked TLJ a little more than TFA, but I need to see TLJ at least another time before I can make a final judgement.

I do agree that there were a couple of *wink at the camera* corny moments that didn't belong in a Star Wars movie, but they weren't dealbreakers. A little cringy, but they didn't ruin the movie for me.

As it stands, here's my order:
ESB > ANH > RotJ > R1 > TLJ > TFA > RotS > > > > AotC / TPM
(I like all of them a lot except episodes I & II)

I'll be sure to watch this next week. The polarizing talk has me more intrigued than anything else.

I think old heads entrenched in star wars lore has their own ideas of where the franchise should go at this point so any deviation of that direction will create backlash

Kylo easily deaded snoke bc he is stronger than him. Just bc Snoke was the leader doesn’t mean he was all powerful. Who cares about his backstory. Snoke is like that one boss you got that only got his position bc he outlasted everybody and been there for years. He was clearly playing mind games with Kylo and Rey. Kylo killing him and the way he did it was more entertaining than to me than the typical ending. We would have saw Rey “become one with the force” and stop him. Lol, boring...the fight scene in the throne room was AMAZING. The bad guy and good guy(girl) fighting back to back. I think people should really focus on enjoying the film and not over analyzing. It’s just a movie brah.

That’s the problem there needs to be one mind controlling a trilogy. Or else you get two very different Star Wars movies

Kylo easily deaded snoke bc he is stronger than him. Just bc Snoke was the leader doesn’t mean he was all powerful. Who cares about his backstory. Snoke is like that one boss you got that only got his position bc he outlasted everybody and been there for years. He was clearly playing mind games with Kylo and Rey. Kylo killing him and the way he did it was more entertaining than to me than the typical ending. We would have saw Rey “become one with the force” and stop him. Lol, boring...the fight scene in the throne room was AMAZING. The bad guy and good guy(girl) fighting back to back. I think people should really focus on enjoying the film and not over analyzing. It’s just a movie brah.

And with Snoke being killed off, we get light vs. dark in Rey vs. Kylo instead of having another over arching villain running things behind the scenes.

Could be way off, and absolutely wrong, but I got the feeling during the movie that Rey and Kylo are siblings.

Which was my belief since TFA. Much to Lame's chagrin. :lol:

Maybe not Han's, but certainly possible Leia's........ :nerd:

Bottom line, I think we were misdirected to put us off for a bit, and it will come up again in Ep 9.

What no. Snoke clearly was more powerful then both of them. I don’t mind him dying but going out like that. He literally punkes kylo in the beginning. Even Rey couldn’t get the lightsaber from him.

I got that feeling too, but not sure how that can be possible. Leiah and Han would have had to abandon her or something.

Thats something that I'm very unsure about. I'm sure that her parents weren't just some junkers. There has to be a reason that she's so strong with the force.

I think it's great that these questions and discussion come up after watching TLJ. Some people wanted definitive answers and finality with certain plot lines and instead, we'll have to wait to see how JJ addresses all of that.

What no. Snoke clearly was more powerful then both of them. I don’t mind him dying but going out like that. He literally punkes kylo in the beginning. Even Rey couldn’t get the lightsaber from him.

I fell ya, but if your think about it, in the og triliogy Darth Sidious had the same badass OP feel about him and vader just threw him over a railing.... I know the scene as a hole was very important, but still.

C CP1708

What was your take on Rey going into the cave and seeing her reflection in the rocks? Luke mentioned that it was darkness and she went straight to it wanting to know who she was and who her parents were.

I fell ya, but if your think about it, in the og triliogy Darth Sidious had the same badass OP feel about him and vader just threw him over a railing.... I know the scene as a hole was very important, but still.
A common thread between both of those stories is that the master didn't expect their apprentice to turn on them/overestimated their own control over everything and thought they were basically invincible

movie was good but didnt like what they did with young skywalker. if they were gonna do that they could have done it different.

i'm gonna guess rey's aunt is anakin's mom or maybe luke had sex once and she got prego.

Last edited:
Overall movie was alright, ranked in the bottom half for sure but that's not a terrible thing either.

Don't see where people are getting this super original theme from though, a lot of elements from the other movies.

Definitely needs another watch from me.

Kylo and Rey were standouts in this. Once I get over the whole shes just super powerful because she is. I really enjoyed their connection both not fully understanding their roles in this.

Entire Finn/Rose sub-movie felt like a B version of Rogue One, completely could do without it.

Wish Rey would've wavered a little, I know shes the good guy but she was never really conflicted how Kylo was.

Kylo and Rey team up was my favorite part hands down. Snoke going down the way he did was lame. Was very reminiscent of ROTJ though. The whole join me take over the galaxy was meh too.

I wish they fleshed out what happened between Kylo leaving with some of the students (I assume knights of ren) and him meeting snoke, I'm okay with Snoke dying but we don't get anything about how he turned Kylo.

Also whats been bugging me is Luke just getting off free. Kylo being the way he is makes sense with his teacher trying to kill him, but the whole it's Snokes fault is weak. Luke had his saber over Kylo in his sleep ready to kill him, I just feel like Leia should've known that because that's a big reason for his turn.

Raw potential tho? Did you listen to what Luke said? Think about...I can name 5 older guys at my job that are “better” workers and they even make more than me due to their experience but give me a few years and I will probably be there Supervisor. They only got me bc they have seen more things. Same situation...Kylo has way more potential.

This dude had Luke lookin like Larry Holmes flabby and sick when he tried to kill him as a boy. Did we watch the same movie? This was Kylo’s “y’all gonn learn today” statement.

C CP1708

What was your take on Rey going into the cave and seeing her reflection in the rocks? Luke mentioned that it was darkness and she went straight to it wanting to know who she was and who her parents were.

Need to see it again to try and hone in on it. My first view, she just desperately wanted to know who she was, and why, and wasn't afraid of the dark. The scene itself was beautiful, but it will take another look for me to try and figure out anything more meaningful.

Need to see it again to try and hone in on it. My first view, she just desperately wanted to know who she was, and why, and wasn't afraid of the dark. The scene itself was beautiful, but it will take another look for me to try and figure out anything more meaningful.
I'm curious if there will be any lasting effects from her going in there. Did she learn anything? Or was "nothing" the answer, not a non-answer?

Also, did she have the connection with Kylo before she went in the cave, or did that open up as a result of having gone in there? I don't rememeber.

Rey said it first. About her parents. Are we really leaving JJ to wrap this up fittingly? Lol it is what it is. Not even a point to be invested anymore

Back
Top Bottom