Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold

How old are you? Seriously.

Changing someone's post to whatever that little hamster in your head where your brain should be at thinks someone meant is just plain silly. What makes you get that out of my post? Please explain rather then make childish edits.

i didnt make up anything

you openly expressed a desire to see me debate on bill o reilly, because he will tell it to me like you cant 
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

You are a funny guy and consistent with the reaches and twisting things into what you want them to be.

I will give you that.

Considering the state of America right now... i find the exchange i had wit police this weekend ****** HILARIOUS.

So me and my friend are waiting for an elevator... We see that it seems to be stopped on the floor beneath us so we take the steps a flight down to catch it. Keep in mind we are in a "Dimly lit project staircase".. we get halfway down the steps a cop bust into the staircase & demands ID's and starts questioning us on why we are in the building. so after a small sarcastic back & forth and the history of Black men in staircases recently, we show ID and go about our business.

Not before we hear an officer tell us... "There our people in hear who come to cop drugs, who come to get high, we have to inspect the building to make sure things our good, believe it or not this is for YOUR safety"

We immediately bust into laughter considering the context of america's situation these days. These dudes form of policing & protecting is taking the elevator floor to floor and asking anybody they run into for ID, as if someone should have to carry ID to go floor to floor to visit someone else. We even asked what if we were just visiting a friend in the building he goes on to say he would have to drop us off at their doorstep :rolleyes.

Crazy part about this is earlier in the day i had a PS controller on me which is all black and i was walking in the staircase with it en route to a friends crib, had i had that same controller with me at the time they bust into that staircase there's a huge chance i would have been shot dead... & I'm ABSOLUTELY serious about that.

Think about how & why i've gotten my Psyche to the point where walking around with a videogame controller in front of cops leads to me immediately fearing for my well being. I would love to explain this next time someone says this isn't a race problem.

Guys quit letting the media rival you up. Most of you don't even k of the the full background of what happen

Dude resisted arrest, he swatted the officers hands away. They had to arrest him but he was resisting. They thought they did the best he could when they took down the big man

If someone days I can't breathe, they breathing

Let's discuss the facts in this case:

1. There is no doubt that Garner was resisting an arrest for illegally selling untaxed cigarettes. Former New York City Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik put it succinctly: "You cannot resist arrest. If Eric Garner did not resist arrest, the outcome of this case would have been very different," he told Newsmax. "He wouldn't be dead today.

"Regardless of what the arrest was for, the officers don't have the ability to say, 'Well, this is a minor arrest, so we're just going to ignore you.'"

2. The video of the July 17 incident clearly shows Garner, an African-American, swatting away the arms of a white officer seeking to take him into custody, telling him: "Don't touch me!"

3. Garner, 43, had history of more than 30 arrests dating back to 1980, on charges including assault and grand larceny.

4. At the time of his death, Garner was out on bail after being charged with illegally selling cigarettes, driving without a license, marijuana possession and false impersonation.

5. The chokehold that Patrolman Daniel Pantaleo put on Garner was reported to have contributed to his death. But Garner, who was 6-foot-3 and weighed 350 pounds, suffered from a number of health problems, including heart disease, severe asthma, diabetes, obesity, and sleep apnea. Pantaleo's attorney and police union officials argued that Garner's poor health was the main cause of his death.

6. Garner did not die at the scene of the confrontation. He suffered cardiac arrest in the ambulance taking him to the hospital and was pronounced dead about an hour later.

7. Much has been made of the fact that the use of chokeholds by police is prohibited in New York City. But officers reportedly still use them. Between 2009 and mid-2014, the Civilian Complaint Review Board received 1,128 chokehold allegations.

Patrick Lynch, president of the New York City Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said: "It was clear that the officer's intention was to do nothing more than take Mr. Garner into custody as instructed, and that he used the takedown technique that he learned in the academy when Mr. Garner refused."

8. The grand jury began hearing the case on Sept. 29 and did not reach a decision until Wednesday, so there is much testimony that was presented that has not been made public.

9. The 23-member grand jury included nine non-white jurors.

10. In order to find Officer Pantaleo criminally negligent, the grand jury would have had to determine that he knew there was a "substantial risk" that Garner would have died due to the takedown.

11. Less than a month after Garner's death, Ramsey Orta, who shot the much-viewed videotape of the encounter, was indicted on weapons charges. Police alleged that Orta had slipped a .25-caliber handgun into a teenage accomplice's waistband outside a New York hotel.

Last edited:
Guys quit letting the media rival you up. Most of you don't even k of the the full background of what happen

Dude resisted arrest, he swatted the officers hands away. They had to arrest him but he was resisting. They thought they did the best he could when they took down the big man

1. There is no doubt that Garner was resisting an arrest for illegally selling untaxed cigarettes. Former New York City Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik put it succinctly: "You cannot resist arrest. If Eric Garner did not resist arrest, the outcome of this case would have been very different," he told Newsmax. "He wouldn't be dead today.

"Regardless of what the arrest was for, the officers don't have the ability to say, 'Well, this is a minor arrest, so we're just going to ignore you.'"

2. The video of the July 17 incident clearly shows Garner, an African-American, swatting away the arms of a white officer seeking to take him into custody, telling him: "Don't touch me!"

3. Garner, 43, had history of more than 30 arrests dating back to 1980, on charges including assault and grand larceny.

4. At the time of his death, Garner was out on bail after being charged with illegally selling cigarettes, driving without a license, marijuana possession and false impersonation.

5. The chokehold that Patrolman Daniel Pantaleo put on Garner was reported to have contributed to his death. But Garner, who was 6-foot-3 and weighed 350 pounds, suffered from a number of health problems, including heart disease, severe asthma, diabetes, obesity, and sleep apnea. Pantaleo's attorney and police union officials argued that Garner's poor health was the main cause of his death.

6. Garner did not die at the scene of the confrontation. He suffered cardiac arrest in the ambulance taking him to the hospital and was pronounced dead about an hour later.

7. Much has been made of the fact that the use of chokeholds by police is prohibited in New York City. But officers reportedly still use them. Between 2009 and mid-2014, the Civilian Complaint Review Board received 1,128 chokehold allegations.

Patrick Lynch, president of the New York City Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said: "It was clear that the officer's intention was to do nothing more than take Mr. Garner into custody as instructed, and that he used the takedown technique that he learned in the academy when Mr. Garner refused."

8. The grand jury began hearing the case on Sept. 29 and did not reach a decision until Wednesday, so there is much testimony that was presented that has not been made public.

10. In order to find Officer Pantaleo criminally negligent, the grand jury would have had to determine that he knew there was a "substantial risk" that Garner would have died due to the takedown.

11. Less than a month after Garner's death, Ramsey Orta, who shot the much-viewed videotape of the encounter, was indicted on weapons charges. Police alleged that Orta had slipped a .25-caliber handgun into a teenage accomplice's waistband outside a New York hotel.

Hope you're not black superb...you sound like a butter biscuit ****.

Only police killing I'm not mad about is that lil dude in Ohio. He was a victim of not being raised with common sense

Only police killing I'm not mad about is that lil dude in Ohio. He was a victim of not being raised with common sense
@ butter buscuit  "spoon"..lol

1. Allegedly

2. Doesnt mean force was justifiable

3. This is not a "fact" of the case

4. Again, not a fact of the case because they werent aware at the time on confrontation

4. Wrong. The choke hold was the PRIMARY factor of death.
Garner was not a particularly healthy man, but an autopsy showed that the primary causes of death were “compression of neck (chokehold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police”

http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/eric-garner-grand-jury-didnt-see

Sonic

I'm black. I also voted for Mitt Romney

I'm black. I also voted for Mitt Romney

View media item 1292649
You say this like it should earn you points.

Like you expect people to react with: "Wait a minute, this brother is voted for Romney, he must be a free thinker. Everyone shut up and listen to this game he spitting" :smh: :lol:

Last edited:

okey dokey...nooooo

all these facts are cool and all but the problem is that an officer used a tactic that is prohibited to subdue a subject. I don't care about anything else you said because if police now have the opportunity to do whatever they want, including things that are prohibited, then where is the line drawn? Since they breaking rules what's to say that they won't become sexually agressive with intoxicated females, conduct strip searches in public areas and other things they shouldn't be doing just because the person is resisting?

The resisting of arrest does not justify the use of an illegal tactic. That is the problem. And if there are that many cases where cops are using this illegal tactic then they should also be punished for doing things they have been told they cannot.

And regarding his weight, should not police take that into account when apprehending a suspect? Just as if they were to see a more frial suspect they'd try not to use anything to forceful because they may cause more truama to a suspect? Or is the priority on the cop apprehending him by any means instead of using the tactic less harmful?

I get being the Devil's Advocate for cases, because occasionally I do them, but when you read over that information that you posted and consider they used, once again as you stated, a prohibited hold that doesn't come off as iffy/wrong?

I don't know why ya'll even bother to read anything he says.
To be honest I scrolled down and read the first few sentences and was wondering who could have wrote such foolishness. Looked at the s/n and just shook my head.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom