Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

NT... I can't thank you enough for the information provided.
I feel like I know exactly what to eat and exactly what to workout when I hit the gym. Not to mention how often and how much!!

How is my pre workout meal?
2:00pm - I ate Tofu sticks+protein bar + multivitamins
4:00pm - 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt + handful of Blueberries + NO Shotgun + 5g Creatine
5:00pm - workout.

The yogurt has about 15g of protein and the blueberries have natural sugars. That is what I'm looking for pre-game correct???

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

To the guys trying to help out Green Ice:  Absolutely correct that he should focus on lower body as well, but I definitely would not recommend deadlifts or squats to a beginner who has only been working out for three weeks, esepecially when most people in the gym (regardless of experience) don't do basic back exercises like lat pulldowns, or rows correctly. 

Build up your muscular strength slowly and allow your body to make the neuromuscular connections required for more advanced exercises like squats and deadlifts.  Also, your routine lacks core exercises (transverse abs, rectus abs, and obliques + lower back, i.e. erector spinae).  You need to MASTER your core exercises before even attempting deadlifts or squats.

When will he ever be "ready" though? I say start now but just use very light weight to get the form down. Low risk of injury but he still gets acquainted with the mechanics and is able to incorporate them into his routine at normal weight sooner. Besides the fact that these exercises are beneficial to gaining strength overall, they're great at working out the core, which I'm sure thats what he wanted to focus on in his original post.
If anything he should start out squatting/lunging without added weight. Very few inactive people have the ability to correctly perform full ROM bodyweight squats, let alone weighted squats. Let him ease into things as it will make his experience more enjoyable and maybe more sustainable.
Calisthenics are a great way to build a base for strength training. Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, planks, squats, and leg curls can build a great foundation for more rigorous strength training.

TEAM FITNESS FTW

FGH03262114350--350x600.jpg

Okay NT I have a question.

I went to my doctors and took a blood test and he said I have too much protein. Now I am 5'8 and 140 and my elbows and wrists could probably cut through glass. He said I should cut back drastically but I don't think so because I'm TRYING to gain weight. Plus doctors always try and find something wrong with you.

SO should I cut back my protein like he said? Or continue doing what I'm doing?

To the guys trying to help out Green Ice:  Absolutely correct that he should focus on lower body as well, but I definitely would not recommend deadlifts or squats to a beginner who has only been working out for three weeks, esepecially when most people in the gym (regardless of experience) don't do basic back exercises like lat pulldowns, or rows correctly. 

Build up your muscular strength slowly and allow your body to make the neuromuscular connections required for more advanced exercises like squats and deadlifts.  Also, your routine lacks core exercises (transverse abs, rectus abs, and obliques + lower back, i.e. erector spinae).  You need to MASTER your core exercises before even attempting deadlifts or squats.

When will he ever be "ready" though? I say start now but just use very light weight to get the form down. Low risk of injury but he still gets acquainted with the mechanics and is able to incorporate them into his routine at normal weight sooner. Besides the fact that these exercises are beneficial to gaining strength overall, they're great at working out the core, which I'm sure thats what he wanted to focus on in his original post.

He'll be ready when he has a good starting base of muscular and ligament/tendon strength.  ALL workouts should be done while contracting your core and are therefore "great at working out the core", but most beginners and a lot of "experienced" weight lifters don't even do this during a simple bench press or row, let alone do it in an exercise like squats or deadlifts where there is a very large risk of injury if you forget or are unable to contract your core throughout the entire exercise (something that is very difficult for beginners to do, because they have neither the strength nor endurance to do so). If you tell a beginner of three weeks to just look at a website to get the form down for deadlifts and squats before building up strength first, that's terrible advice.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

And I get about 50-60 grams of protein a day.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I get 50-60 g in my post workout shake. I'm only 160 lbs..

Maybe focus more on calories than your protein for gaining weight.
Regardless of too much or too little, your body can only absorb so much protein at a time, and that has everything to do with how much you train your muscles.

Okay NT I have a question.

I went to my doctors and took a blood test and he said I have too much protein. Now I am 5'8 and 140 and my elbows and wrists could probably cut through glass. He said I should cut back drastically but I don't think so because I'm TRYING to gain weight. Plus doctors always try and find something wrong with you.

SO should I cut back my protein like he said? Or continue doing what I'm doing?
Do you mean that you take an additional supplement of 50-60 grams a day?  Or that you summed up all the protein in everything you eat in a day and it was 50-60 grams.

Either way, do what your doctor says or get a second opinion from another doctor.  Not someone on a message board.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Regardless of too much or too little, your body can only absorb so much protein at a time, and that has everything to do with how much you train your muscles.
60 g is way way way too much. Not sure how much protein you get daily, but distribute that throughout the day rather than packing it in all post workout.

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

60 g is way way way too much. Not sure how much protein you get daily, but distribute that throughout the day rather than packing it in all post workout.
Word. I just re-checked the powder I use. ON is only 28g.. I was using ISOgainer before and with milk it's 72g
sick.gif

Does anybody here do the ON Whey Protein and ON Casein Protein combo? Would you recommend it? When do you use each of them??

He'll be ready when he has a good starting base of muscular and ligament/tendon strength.  ALL workouts should be done while contracting your core and are therefore "great at working out the core", but most beginners and a lot of "experienced" weight lifters don't even do this during a simple bench press or row, let alone do it in an exercise like squats or deadlifts where there is a very large risk of injury if you forget or are unable to contract your core throughout the entire exercise (something that is very difficult for beginners to do, because they have neither the strength nor endurance to do so). If you tell a beginner of three weeks to just look at a website to get the form down for deadlifts and squats before building up strength first, that's terrible advice.

There's a huge difference between squatting a 45lb bar or deadlifting 55-65 lbs to learn the exercise and use all those muscles than doubling your bodyweight and attempting a set of 3-5 ATG.  Squats and deadlifts take practice, so there's nothing wrong with someone learning to exercise to start with the basics.  Yes, they might be shaky at first, yes they may use some compensation in some areas but they'll get better.  I've been training people for over 5 years now, and I've never seen a beginner who started out their first week in the gym squat bad and stay bad at it.  They usually have their form down in a couple of weeks and they make gains and avoid injury much easier than clients I've had who have trained themselves for years with incorrect form. 

As far as someone asking why someone would squat 135 for 4x20, why not?  The legs need a variety of challenges to grow and get stronger, not just heavy weight for low reps.  A combination of both high and low rep leg workouts usually leads to better gains than always training for 5-6 reps.

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

Does anybody here do the ON Whey Protein and ON Casein Protein combo? Would you recommend it? When do you use each of them??
It's on sale at BB.com right now + ON optimen.
I'd recommend it. Casin protein is really good for recovery while you sleep. ON whey is generally understood as the best protein supplement for general use.

i did that for a little. ON Whey is great but the casein tasted horrible to me. I use ultra peptide 2.0 now instead and its
pimp.gif
.  Oh and you use casein before bed (it's a slow release protein) and whey post workout/ throughout the day. Extreme Milk Chocolate is my favorite ON whey flavor...trying out myofusion next tho

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

There's a huge difference between squatting a 45lb bar or deadlifting 55-65 lbs to learn the exercise and use all those muscles than doubling your bodyweight and attempting a set of 3-5 ATG.  Squats and deadlifts take practice, so there's nothing wrong with someone learning to exercise to start with the basics.  Yes, they might be shaky at first, yes they may use some compensation in some areas but they'll get better.  I've been training people for over 5 years now, and I've never seen a beginner who started out their first week in the gym squat bad and stay bad at it.  They usually have their form down in a couple of weeks and they make gains and avoid injury much easier than clients I've had who have trained themselves for years with incorrect form.    
That's the thing right there.  Obviously with a trainer it's okay, but it sounds like he's going to be doing it on his own where a professional won't be able to critique and help him out.  People can do what they like in the gym, but most of what you see in the gym and a lot of the advice being given out in this thread is not advisable for the general population, which is the demographic that most of us are a part of.  

I found the post-workout nutrition article I was talking about before. 

http://www.iahsaa.org/resource_center/Performance/GSSI-Recoverng_from_Exercise.pdf
As little as six grams of protein (more is not better) may accelerate protein synthesis following exercise.  Expensive protein powders and amino-acid supplements are no more effective than normal foods (e.g. meat, fish, eggs) at providing the necessary amino acids.

too many people use supplements as a main source to their nutrition. supplements are great for complementing to it though

brettTHEjett wrote:

I'd recommend it. Casin protein is really good for recovery while you sleep. ON whey is generally understood as the best protein supplement for general use.

I bought my ON Whey from VitamentShoppe before, and they are giving me a 10% discount on my next purchase but it ends tonight. Right now I have a subtotal of $65.91 for both the ON Whey(5 lbs) and ON Casein(2 lbs).. is this a good price for both?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Jordan on my feet

i did that for a little. ON Whey is great but the casein tasted horrible to me. I use ultra peptide 2.0 now instead and its
pimp.gif
.  Oh and you use casein before bed (it's a slow release protein) and whey post workout/ throughout the day. Extreme Milk Chocolate is my favorite ON whey flavor...trying out myofusion next tho
Thanks, for your comments.. but I do not see any other flavors that the ON Casein comes in.. hmm
nerd.gif

brettTHEjett wrote:

I bought my ON Whey from VitamentShoppe before, and they are giving me a 10% discount on my next purchase but it ends tonight. Right now I have a subtotal of $65.91 for both the ON Whey(5 lbs) and ON Casein(2 lbs).. is this a good price for both?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Jordan on my feet

pimp.gif
Thanks, for your comments.. but I do not see any other flavors that the ON Casein comes in.. hmm
nerd.gif

I just had the chocolate but as far as i know most people like it the best.  But i have heard some people love on's casein but personally it just made me gag. also, I dunno about vitamin shoppe but at gnc you can return open canisters no questions asked. so there isnt must risk in that (i ordered mine from bb.com and ended up selling it on ebay).

Ive been reading up on that leansaloon blog site and decided to give some of the principles a try today.

I ate my norm breakfast at about 915ish, 3 egg whites/3 whole eggs/ 3 slices costco turkey/ small grapefruit, about 500 cals and ~50 g protein.

I waited to work out until about 230, didnt eat before. The pump i had during the lift was above average. I think maybe the blood was flooding my muscles instead of my stomach to help digesting because i waited to digest that food before i lifted. but i didnt feel #*%#%% or tired working out without eating within 2 hrs before hand.

I got home around 445 and cooked some tilapia and carrots for pwo meal, then just now around 730 i had my second dinner per say of chicken breast and broccoli and avacado.

The intermitent fasting is a strange idea but i have to have breakfast in the morning and I cant change that.

I think this would be ideal to eat around 7 am, workout ~1,2pm then eat dinner around 530-6. I will follow this plan as soon as i get some Xtend to help push aminos to muscles during and after lifting but not actually eating until a couple hours after.

Originally Posted by Wraith aka invincible

I found the post-workout nutrition article I was talking about before. 

http://www.iahsaa.org/resource_center/Performance/GSSI-Recoverng_from_Exercise.pdf
As little as six grams of protein (more is not better) may accelerate protein synthesis following exercise.  Expensive protein powders and amino-acid supplements are no more effective than normal foods (e.g. meat, fish, eggs) at providing the necessary amino acids.

too many people use supplements as a main source to their nutrition. supplements are great for complementing to it though

Nice article. A good read.

Thanks everyone for all the advices and comments.  Will definitely try to incorporate leg workouts in the routine.  As to my diet, I have to seriously work on that big time.  Honestly I've only changed the portion size, eat 4 small meals rather than 3 big meals, and I have definitely become more disciplined in what I eat.  So far have lost my cravings for Soda, and junks, so I'm getting there. 

Majority of my boys eat like a beast and never get fat or they just love to eat out, so it makes it a lil harder. I know its very important not to eat past a certain time and having an efficient breakfast etc, but the most challenging thing for me is that, having work overnight, it competely ruins my times to eat. 

One thing I'd like to add is, back in H.S. I was able to lose 25 lbs in 3 months after biking 18-30 miles a week (6-10 miles a day; 3 days outta the week), and no proper diet.  I'm not sure if age is a factor, but currently at 24 yrs old, can I manage to lose that much weight in the same period of time from doing major cardio, like 8 miles a day on cardio for 4 outta the 7 days?

Back
Top Bottom