Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

What's an ideal amount of time for HIIT? Lately I have been doing a 5 minute "warm up" of sorts at about a 12:00 minute mile pace (level 5 on the treadmill) and then when I hit 5 minutes I increase the level up to 9 and sprint for 30 seconds. I do about 6-7 intervals of this and then finish with a 5 minute "cool down". I am running for about 20 minutes and doing HIIT for about 8-10 minutes. Should I increase the # of intervals?

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Let's say I was to stick strictly to cardio (running), push ups and sit ups for a whole year with no weights involved...What kind of transformation would my body take? Would I possibly see a six pack and be more cut or would my body more or less be the same?
You would have an extremely unbalanced and injury prone body.

Originally Posted by Durden7

I need to start eating fish.
What is stopping you?
What fish are you eyeing?
Are you normally a chicken dude?
I meant to ask you, how often to do consume beef/pork?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

What is stopping you?
I'm curious how often everyone eats red meat.
I LOVE burgers, recently fell in love with bison burgers. I'm on a bulk so I don't feel bad about it.

On regular days or cutting areas of my life, no red meat.

Tune and salmon is some of the easiest food to prepare too

In regards to fish, how do people feel about the smoked salmon that you can get packaged or even "fresh" from a speciality foods store? I tend to enjoy that more than other types of fish.

I love Salmon, but ti can be a tad expensive. Chicken is so cheap and easy to find so that is what I usually stick with. Chicken Breast pack from Costco. 20+ breasts for about $17. Can't beat that.

Tuna, I buy a dozen cans at a time. Get tired of it sometime.
I eat red meat probably 5 times a year if that, but I eat pork anytime I eat Pizza. Pizza is my sin food. Let's not get on that.

I know a lot of people must have this..but how do I STOP my back pain? Always have something bothering me.
BTW: I used to think it was natural to have back pain after hitting the weights so hard, but I have been in a cast for the past month and my back hurts now more than ever.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

What is stopping you?
I'm curious how often everyone eats red meat.
I LOVE burgers, recently fell in love with bison burgers. I'm on a bulk so I don't feel bad about it.

On regular days or cutting areas of my life, no red meat.

Tune and salmon is some of the easiest food to prepare too
i eat red meat probably once a week, if that, and its on my cheat day
i haven't had fish in a good while, i usually buy the prepacked salmon at costco
and as for tuna, its allright, i put onions, lemon juice, peppers, pickels, and mustard..dont have it too often

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Let's say I was to stick strictly to cardio (running), push ups and sit ups for a whole year with no weights involved...What kind of transformation would my body take? Would I possibly see a six pack and be more cut or would my body more or less be the same?
it all depends on your diet. you can do all that stuff but have a horrible diet you definetly wont see any sort of transformation. if you pair all that stuff with dieting i wouldnt doubt that you would look more lean and tone. working out is 80% diet 20% exercise.

Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum

I know a lot of people must have this..but how do I STOP my back pain? Always have something bothering me.
BTW: I used to think it was natural to have back pain after hitting the weights so hard, but I have been in a cast for the past month and my back hurts now more than ever.
your back pain can probably be attributed to improper form during your exercises. most people when lifting weights having completely wrong form especially when doing stuff like squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. Also make sure to stretch before and after your workout. I found that doing yoga once a week also relieved any back pain i had. i used to get back pain and would get massages to relieve it but since doing yoga i never have the need to get a massage.

your back pain can probably be attributed to improper form during your exercises. most people when lifting weights having completely wrong form especially when doing stuff like squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. Also make sure to stretch before and after your workout. I found that doing yoga once a week also relieved any back pain i had. i used to get back pain and would get massages to relieve it but since doing yoga i never have the need to get a massage.
I know that it isn't due to improper form. I work out properly. Like I said I haven't touched the weights in a month 
eyes.gif
 and I have more kinks and knots than ever. Maybe it's derived from not stretching at all? Also, is there a such thing as over stretching? How far should you push to stretch your muscle? I did yoga a few nights, I have a book and I did it by myself. Do you pay for classes or do your own variations? 

Also, has anyone ever been to a chiropractor? I'm thinking about going there when I get this cast off before I start heavy lifting again.

DCAllAmerican wrote:
Durden7 wrote:
What is stopping you?

The smell of fish always creeped me out.  The appearance of fish always gave me the willies.  This was when I was younger so those associations remained strong, but I def. have different tastes now than when I was younger so I think I can start eating it.

I have no idea what fish to start with.  I need something that can easily be made.  Something I can put in a skillet, stove, etc. and cook just like chicken.

Yeah, im a chicken fan.  I eat atleast 6 oz of chicken a day.  Every so often it gets close to 9 oz and the rare occurrence its at 10.

I used to eat beef/pork about once or twice a week.  I ate it when the family made burgers on the grill, steak at a restaurant, or things along those lines.  Now the only times I eat it are if theyre in the form of meatballs in sauce.  Ill eat it every few weeks now.

Do you have any suggestions on types of fish/ ways to cook it?

I would say to start off with Salmon.You can just season it and then throw it in some grape-seed oil or Olive oil and pan fry it. Grape-seed oil has a high smoking point so it doesn't burn at higher levels like other oils can.
Or you can use some water and almost steam it in the pan with the lid on.

Or you can flavor the fish and make a pocket out of foil and put it in the oven and let it bake. Cooking time varies depend on the weight of course. Juicing a lemon with salt and pepper is a nice simple way to get the job done using this method.

Talapia is another versatile fish. Nice white fish. You can bread that and fry it if you like fried food or you can prep. it the same way I told you to make the Salmon.

I have the same fish problem as this guy. However, I will NOT be able to eat it. I hate seafood. Is there anyway to get it's nutrients though without having to actually eat and taste the fish :X?

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

What's an ideal amount of time for HIIT? Lately I have been doing a 5 minute "warm up" of sorts at about a 12:00 minute mile pace (level 5 on the treadmill) and then when I hit 5 minutes I increase the level up to 9 and sprint for 30 seconds. I do about 6-7 intervals of this and then finish with a 5 minute "cool down". I am running for about 20 minutes and doing HIIT for about 8-10 minutes. Should I increase the # of intervals?

I can't spend as much time in the gym as I like so my HIIT is shorter than yours, but I find that my HIIT regimen gets me sweating hard.  And that's all I really want.

I do 2 minutes at 6, then one minute at 10, and than I do a fast walk at 4.  Each cycle is about 4 minutes and 30 seconds, given the time it takes to adjust the treadmill.  I do three cycles on days where I am also lifting, and on lighter days I'll do anywhere between 4 to 6. 

For HIIT: I do 1 min at 10.0-11.0 and 1 min walk at 3.5.. For 20-25 mins total. Needless to say I' am drenched when I get done and to be honestly no totally exhausted..

I like any kinda fish, but baked/grilled/blackened tilapia is my favorite.

I would say to start off with Salmon.You can just season it and then throw it in some grape-seed oil or Olive oil and pan fry it. Grape-seed oil has a high smoking point so it doesn't burn at higher levels like other oils can.

Or you can flavor the fish and make a pocket out of foil and put it in the oven and let it bake. Cooking time varies depend on the weight of course. Juicing a lemon with salt and pepper is a nice simple way to get the job done using this method.

Talapia is another versatile fish. Nice white fish. You can bread that and fry it if you like fried food or you can prep. it the same way I told you to make the Salmon.

As opposed to a Black fish, right?

0.jpg

EXACTLY how i prepare my meals.

I throw the #+@% down
laugh.gif

People often misunderstand the fact that healthy foods can also be
pimp.gif
as hell.

Originally Posted by cguy610

As opposed to a Black fish, right?

0.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
!!!

Back
Top Bottom