Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

the chicken breasts.. I always eat with some
Charo_white_bg.jpg
and eat some bread with it. And I sprinkle some salt on the chicken breasts before I put it in the oven.

What do your diets consist of? What do you guys eat?

Is cereal "good"? (Special K if it matters)

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

Can yall critique this workout regimine for me.  I havent taken the weights seriously since I was in HS playing football, so I'd consider myself almost new, granted I pretty much know what excercise works out what muscle and all the basic jazz.  My problem here is this usually only takes me a good 30-40 mins max to do each day, and I dont really have to push for time to get it down that fast.  That just doesn't seem like its much time to be getting it in.  am I not working out these muscles enough?  is this a good pace for beginning and maybe I add more lifts as I go?

Sunday - OFF

Monday - Legs
Tuesday - Chest
Wednesday - Back
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Arms

Well i'm guessing your training for size, if not endurance?

I would just do 4 sets for most excercises, 3 if their harder excercises like dealifts.  Maybe do goodmornings, glute raises.

For your chest I think your doing to many press excercises.  Maybe you would want to throw in a cable flye or a machine flye to replace a press.  Basically subtract a press excercise that deals with a portion of your chest that your already have developed...maybe like drop decline presses if your bottom chest is big enough and add a upper chest excercise.

Back day looks good...Shoulders maybe add a t-bar row or bent over row...for arms maybe you might want to do partial reps for your biceps?  But in all your routine looks good but I think you would benefit from adding some more sets and maybe 1-2 more excercises.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

whenever im on a diet ive always found oatmeal as a better alternative then any cereal.

steel cut oats not the oatmeals already packaged with flavors.

i do like to eat regular cheerios here and there though when dieting.

Originally Posted by TheGreekGangsta

whenever im on a diet ive always found oatmeal as a better alternative then any cereal.
Right on, I've never had oatmeal again after I barfed as a toddler
laugh.gif

Lots of people are saying cut the carbs and what not...Is a little ok? Wheat bread?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by TheGreekGangsta

Right on, I've never had oatmeal again after I barfed as a toddler
laugh.gif

Lots of people are saying cut the carbs and what not...Is a little ok? Wheat bread?
nerd.gif
there are ways to make oatmeal taste a little better. things such like natural peanut butter, cinnamon, a scoop of protein etc.
i dont care for it much either but i do like it in my diet.
carbs are fine in a regular diet, especially since you sound like your just starting.
i think someone a little more informed can help you on that subject.

Anyone have any killer ab workouts? I used to have abs but then I stopped working out, drinking beer and now I have a gut. Kind of embarrassing. Im trying to get rid of it asap. My dad used to be a gymnast and he gave me all these crazy workouts but I cant handle them..

So anyone with good ab workouts please let me know. thank you

checking in! been in argentina for a week now...eating horribly. not working out. i feel so slow and sluggish. its terrible...

Originally Posted by alex onee

Anyone have any killer ab workouts? I used to have abs but then I stopped working out, drinking beer and now I have a gut. Kind of embarrassing. Im trying to get rid of it asap. My dad used to be a gymnast and he gave me all these crazy workouts but I cant handle them..

So anyone with good ab workouts please let me know. thank you

ab workouts wont give you abs per se.

read

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by nealraj006

I agree. Both squatting and deadlifting are natural movements. If you see a child pick an object up, they will perform it properly rather than just bend their back to pick it up. Same with squatting. People are conditioned to do it the lazy way which is dangerous. That's why you see so many people that pull their backs out while lifting an object. They're just lazy and/or lack flexibility and do the motions wrong.

...... but no one is a child here.

I'm not saying anybody is.

Ugh, just getting over my 3rd illness in 4 weeks. Not quite sure what's going on here; I usually only get sick once per year. Diet/workouts were going awesome, was seeing great results, but when I got the flu, I just had to start eating anything/everything I could keep down to get some calories in me and not whittle away...

StaXX wrote:
Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

do you guys use the barbell pad for squatting???

some guy was squatting five plates on each side with no barbell pad.. WOW

Never ever. It was a cardinal sin to use it in HS. 
If you were a football player using one, you were straight &^$$#. 
laugh.gif
 Coaches never allowed it. 

I look forward to seeing that red line on my back after squats now. 

I'd recommend it for beginners though. 

Gives you greater incentive to work your traps and your back area. I remember I used to use it but I much prefer squatting without one because of it's easier to balance that way. 

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Ugh, just getting over my 3rd illness in 4 weeks. Not quite sure what's going on here; I usually only get sick once per year. Diet/workouts were going awesome, was seeing great results, but when I got the flu, I just had to start eating anything/everything I could keep down to get some calories in me and not whittle away...
No lie, my grandma thought I had a tapeworm because of how much I ate when I was sick. I gobbled everything and still lost weight, it looked like I was basically on a cut. 

I agree. Both squatting and deadlifting are natural movements. If you see a child pick an object up, they will perform it properly rather than just bend their back to pick it up. Same with squatting. People are conditioned to do it the lazy way which is dangerous. That's why you see so many people that pull their backs out while lifting an object. They're just lazy and/or lack flexibility and do the motions wrong.

So teaching squatting technique is necessary/advised.  Correct?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by Derek916

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

Leg day today.. anyone recommend me good videos on how to learn to do Squats the right way?

Thanks.

legs shoulder width apart or a bit wider
point tows slightly out
look up
drop butt and go to parallel at least or a bit more
go back up

Toes straight forward, not out.
Looking up isnt necessary
Its not drop butt, but hips back and then drop down.

Squatting is a natural motion. It doesn't need to be taught. I know this sounds "lol" but it is true. No one needs to be taught how to squat anymore than they need to be taught how to walk. Children are excellent squatters (no pun intended
laugh.gif
).

Most individuals have a problem with squatting because they lack hip mobility/flexibility. Once a person has sufficient hip mobility squatting is not an issue at all.

Have you seen the way some people walk?

Squatting needs to be taught.

I don't tend to pay too much attention to how people walk but I know to whom you're referring too.
laugh.gif

Hiop mobility is still of utmost importance. A person can be doing everything right but hell still have a hard time squatting properly ( not just to parallel) without that flexibility.
It doesn't take an extraordinary amount of flexibility but the vast majority of adults (who aren't active in one way or another)  lack that mobility.

So teaching squatting technique is necessary/advised.  Correct?

Of course it's necessary in the early stages for those who lack flexibility.

However, if I provided you with an individual who had sufficient hip mobility the only thing you'd have to teach them is bar placement. They'd squat pretty good all on their own.
The squat is not a complicated movement at all. In fact, the reason why so many people squat poorly (aside form the lack of flexibility) is that they concentrate on the wrong things. Most people will actually concentrate on, " oh I have to keep my back straight, my shins perpendicular, and make sure my knees don't go past my toes". The squat is a very natural fluid motion and so long as that person has the hip mobility, the only thing to concentrate on the eccentric part is keeping your core tight (squeezing your obliques and abs).

On the concentric part, one tip that works great is to actually make believe like you're trying to push your head into the bar. It keeps you pretty straight.

^^^^
personally, if I don't remember those things when I'm squatting I end up doing more of a kneeling motion i.e. knees going way past my toes and the whole motion is incorrect, naturally.

of course i only started

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

^^^^
personally, if I don't remember those things when I'm squatting I end up doing more of a kneeling motion i.e. knees going way past my toes and the whole motion is incorrect, naturally.

of course i only started

It's completely understandable. Take some time ( 2-3 months) and work on hip (and ankle) mobility and squatting in and of itself will become second nature. Then you can solely concentrate on improving your strength.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Well i'm guessing your training for size, if not endurance?

I would just do 4 sets for most excercises, 3 if their harder excercises like dealifts.  Maybe do goodmornings, glute raises.

For your chest I think your doing to many press excercises.  Maybe you would want to throw in a cable flye or a machine flye to replace a press.  Basically subtract a press excercise that deals with a portion of your chest that your already have developed...maybe like drop decline presses if your bottom chest is big enough and add a upper chest excercise.

Back day looks good...Shoulders maybe add a t-bar row or bent over row...for arms maybe you might want to do partial reps for your biceps?  But in all your routine looks good but I think you would benefit from adding some more sets and maybe 1-2 more excercises.

good look.  im actually looking to cut.  not looking to get bigger AT ALL.  im already swole/stocky/fat.  always lifted heavy playing football it was bulk bulk bulk.  now im far removed and that bulk doesnt sit well when you dont stay on it, so im just looking to just get as lean as possible.  i just thought the routines seemed ultra short.  i mean i do at minimu 10 reps of all of this with not heavy weight and i still knock it out in like 40 mins tops.  just seemed like i wasn't working out long enough.

I've been thinking.. I think I want to give my Legs its own day.. How should I move around my current split to make room for it? What muscle group should I combine with shoulders?

Current Split:
Monday: Chest + Triceps + Abs
Tuesday: Back + Biceps
Wednesday: Shoulders + Legs + Abs
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Chest + Triceps + Abs
Saturday: Back + Biceps
Sunday: Rest

nerd.gif

I've been thinking.. I think I want to give my Legs its own day.. How should I move around my current split to make room for it? What muscle group should I combine with shoulders?

Current Split:

nerd.gif
This is my EXACT routine 
laugh.gif

Did you use the exercise routines that I posted up awhile back?

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Current Split:

nerd.gif
This is my EXACT routine 
laugh.gif

Did you use the exercise routines that I posted up awhile back?
laugh.gif

Its a VERY common routine.

Been doing a single body part 5 day split for prob the last year getting sick of it and switchin it on monday to an upper/lower heres routine

Mon
(Heavy Chest/Back, Light Shoulders/Arms)
BB Flat Bench (5x5)
BB Bent-over Rows (5x5)
Weighted Dips (3x8)
DB Military Press (2x8-10)
DB Incline Curl (2x8-10)
DB Overhead Extensions (2x8-10

Tues
Squat, Heavy Quads, Light Hamstrings/Calves)
Squats (5x5)
Leg Press (3x8)
RDL (3x10)
Standing Calf Raise (3x10)

Wed Cardio

Thurs
(Heavy Shoulders/Arms, Light Chest/Back)
Military Press (5x5)
Pull Ups (4x6
DB Incline Bench (2x8-10)
Cable Rows (4x8-10)
BB Curl (3x8-12)
DB Shrugs (4x10-12)

Fri
(Deadlift, Light Quads / Hamstrings / Calves)
Deadlift (5x5)
Front Squats (3x10)
Ham Curls (3x10)
Seated Calf Raise (3x10)

Weekends off or cardio and throwin in abs whenver few time a week

Back
Top Bottom