STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

You mean the pro agility drill? Just out of curiousity, why do you think its an indicator of explosiveness?
I think my 1RM for a deadlift was heavier the last time I did it, but I dont know for sure. Today was the first time I deadlifted conventional style in a few months, but I dont think thats why its not higher. I also dont think it has anything to do with limb length because the squat numbers would be different if that were the case. I just think I dont spend a ton of time doing it.

The 5-10-5 shuttle drill.

It's a great indicator on how quick and explosive you are in short areas.

Change of direction, to me, is a better indicator of how athletic you are.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin is so refreshing after so much chicken breast :lol:

Foreman grill for the pork?

It would yield the same results but no.

I use a propane grill outside.

Mostly because I try to cook a couple LB's of meat at a time just so I dont have to do it every day.

Marinade over night and grill after a night session >>>>>>>

Am I reading it right that your currently at 7.4% body fat? Thats awesome man, great work.

I wanted to ask both of you, SuperJu and anyone else who trains for strength, what program are you guys running? My buddy at the gym is doing 5/3/1 which Ive thought about trying out but I really like Louie Simmons style of training at close to 90% of your max sometimes. I haven't stalled on any of my 5x5s really yet so I won't be switching it up until I do. I just want to know what programs you guys like. I know theres Sheiko, Smolov (sp?) and many others out there.
I ran 5/3/1 for a while. I really liked it due to the programming options. 

3/3/2/1/1 then pyramid down is a good one.

5x5 is good

I really have been focusing on a lot of paused reps this strength regiment.

I have seen nothing but great results so far.

A nice powerful contraction.

It would yield the same results but no.

I use a propane grill outside.

Mostly because I try to cook a couple LB's of meat at a time just so I dont have to do it every day.

Marinade over night and grill after a night session >>>>>>>

it wont look like that or taste the same on foreman grill

i love my propane grill, thats why i hate the cold man. cant use it :smh: chicken on the grill>>>>>>

I don't know much about working out, but I started a 5x5 3 weeks ago.

Monday: squat, bench, row
Wednesday: squat, incline bench, deadlift
Friday: squat, bench, row

takes about 10-15 minutes for each exercise and then I do abs or dips as well as some curls. is this a decent program or should there be more exercises? I feel like I see some people doing like 5 different chest exercises back to back and I'm only really doing 3 main exercises per day...

Last edited:
You mean the pro agility drill? Just out of curiousity, why do you think its an indicator of explosiveness?
I think my 1RM for a deadlift was heavier the last time I did it, but I dont know for sure. Today was the first time I deadlifted conventional style in a few months, but I dont think thats why its not higher. I also dont think it has anything to do with limb length because the squat numbers would be different if that were the case. I just think I dont spend a ton of time doing it.

Just curious, why don't you conventional deadlift more?

I typically do some form of deadlift variation every week, depending on my program. I had been conventional style deadlifting for awhile so I switched to sumo style for a few months. I needed to give my back a break for a bit so I went to sumo so I could be more vertical and get more activation.

Good stuff.

I think a 5-10-5 timed drill is a better indicator of explosiveness IMO (I might be bias Bc it is my favorite and best lol)

I have my 1RM next week for the first time in nearly a year and half.

Need to get this nagging neck pain to go away before Tuesday.

Finally got done with all my testing this week. First time 1RMing in about 2 years

I thought about 1RMing with pull ups, but my new place doesnt have dip belts and I dont feel like using a weighted vest. I was doing 5 reps with an extra 50 lbs attached.

Ill probably retest again in April before all my sports pick up again.
Am I reading it right that your currently at 7.4% body fat? Thats awesome man, great work.

I wanted to ask both of you, SuperJu and anyone else who trains for strength, what program are you guys running? My buddy at the gym is doing 5/3/1 which Ive thought about trying out but I really like Louie Simmons style of training at close to 90% of your max sometimes. I haven't stalled on any of my 5x5s really yet so I won't be switching it up until I do. I just want to know what programs you guys like. I know theres Sheiko, Smolov (sp?) and many others out there.

Theres some degree of error in that measurement, I think 7.4% is too low. Its probably closer to 9.

I develop all my programs. I cant follow someone elses program that I find online. Ive been making my own programs since day 1 and its really all ive ever known.

5/3/1 is the only one id think of trying but havent gotten around to really delving into the program and learning more about it.

The 5-10-5 shuttle drill.

It's a great indicator on how quick and explosive you are in short areas.

Change of direction, to me, is a better indicator of how athletic you are.

Yeah, the 5-10-5 is called the pro agility.

Its a good indicator of athleticism and change of direction, but I dont know about explosion. Its a good tool for sport specific testing, but in terms of explosion and power, Im not sure id use that test.

I typically do some form of deadlift variation every week, depending on my program. I had been conventional style deadlifting for awhile so I switched to sumo style for a few months. I needed to give my back a break for a bit so I went to sumo so I could be more vertical and get more activation.
Theres some degree of error in that measurement, I think 7.4% is too low. Its probably closer to 9.

I develop all my programs. I cant follow someone elses program that I find online. Ive been making my own programs since day 1 and its really all ive ever known.

5/3/1 is the only one id think of trying but havent gotten around to really delving into the program and learning more about it.

Its a good indicator of athleticism and change of direction, but I dont know about explosion. Its a good tool for sport specific testing, but in terms of explosion and power, Im not sure id use that test.

Out of curiosity...

Why not?

Out of curiosity...

Why not?

I tend to prefer the standard tests like broad jump and vertical jump. Pro agility is a good test to use, I just think the versions of the jumps are better indicators of power. Theyre not good tests for athleticism or anything sport specific, but in terms of basic, broad lower body power the best test is broad or vertical jump.

The pro agility has some technical aspects to that, much like the 40 that can be coached. There arent many technical parts of a jump.

Last edited:
I dunno about the difference, but I liked the extreme milk chocolate and my roommate swore by the double rich. I've currently got a full 5lb tub or whatever of double rich that I'm dreading having to start on once I finish my current tub of chocolate malt (which is probably the only one I'll ever buy again because I think it's so good).

we always used water with ours btw...not sure if that makes a difference.

I've finishing up a 5lb of extreme chocolate and getting ready to cop some more so i was just curious.

I have some chocolate malt and im not a huge fan of that one personally. :lol:

Extreme Milk is a bit sweeter than Double Rich. It has more flavor.

________

Did Shoulders and Traps tonight... I'm burnt out.

Practiced some posing with some of the competitive bodybuilders... It is not a joke.

I did okay, I think, but the breathing aspect is difficult. It'll even be more difficult once your dehydrated.

I ran 5/3/1 for a while. I really liked it due to the programming options. 

3/3/2/1/1 then pyramid down is a good one.

5x5 is good

I really have been focusing on a lot of paused reps this strength regiment.

I have seen nothing but great results so far.

A nice powerful contraction.
Thanks guys, repped.

Bwood what %s are you working at with those? Basically as heavy as possible without maxing? I love paused reps as well, its really good for squats and exploding out of the hole. Bench takes some getting used to but Im getting better at it.

Couldn't tell you.

I haven't 1RM in ages lol.

I go with how my body is reacting that day .

If I feel strong, I go heavy.

I let my body tell me how to lift.

Once I 1RM next week I'll tell you aha

Couldn't tell you.

Haha aight that works. Sometimes I make my body feel strong lol

Oh yeah and Bo was a beast. Right up there wit LeBron.

Couldn't tell you.

Haha aight that works. Sometimes I make my body feel strong lol

Oh yeah and Bo was a beast. Right up there wit LeBron.

What do you mean right up there with Lebron? Bo can not be matched by anybody when it comes to athleticism. Dude was so strong that his career was cut short by an injury exacerbated by his own strength.

I don't know much about working out, but I started a 5x5 3 weeks ago.

Monday: squat, bench, row
Wednesday: squat, incline bench, deadlift
Friday: squat, bench, row

takes about 10-15 minutes for each exercise and then I do abs or dips as well as some curls. is this a decent program or should there be more exercises? I feel like I see some people doing like 5 different chest exercises back to back and I'm only really doing 3 main exercises per day...
5 x 5 definitely works. You are doing compound movements which will help make you grow and get stronger. You are probably watching the other guys doing isolation exercises, makes it look like they are doing more. Are you adding weight as you do your sets? You should be seeing results by now, so you should know if it works for you. I swear by it. I have had good results with it myself, I mix in some isolation movements to switch it up.
Also, nutrition is a big part of the equation.
Good Luck.

What do you mean right up there with Lebron? Bo can not be matched by anybody when it comes to athleticism. Dude was so strong that his career was cut short by an injury exacerbated by his own strength.
I was comparing the 2 in terms of their respected sports. Bo didn't pay long enough man its just not fair lol

But Lebron can literally play and guard any position. They're both freaks in their own right.

Anyone take casein protein powder? How does it affect your stomach compared to regular whey?

I buy cheap whey from Wal-Mart (Six Star Isolate 130cals 30g protein per scoop). 2 hours or so after I take it I pass it. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant because I never had problems with dairy foods before. ON seems to be the brand of choice here but just wondering if anyone has used both and noticed a difference in digestion. I was thinking casein would be a better option since it's digests at a slower rate. I don't care about taste or texture .

I don't use a specific program I just use concepts and methods from different programs and theories and from my playing days in a good S&C program to apply to my own.  I just started using percentages on my own and that's helped.  I always try to learn something and apply it to a phase to see if I like it, for instance for the next 4-6 weeks I'm going to experiment with french contrast training.

Last edited:
What are some good back exercise for width? I know pullups and lat pull downs. What else is there?

Back
Top Bottom