STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I hear Alphaland is basically a fitness influencer hub.. still wouldn’t mind hitting that gym up if I’m in the area. It looks insane

100% true,

I tore mine at the young age of 25, no doubt it was because I was lifting and hooping same day, sometimes within minutes of eachother

so are you saying that you lifting & hooping was the cause of your achilles injuries??

never really thought about it but it kinda makes sense. lifting created tightness in your muscles and tendons. then hooping requires elasticity in those already tight tendons.

**** it.

Just had to cancel my workout for today because my Xfinity is not working. 😒

XFINITY NEVER WORKS, DON’T GET THEIR SERVICE EVER.

kobe-mamba.gif

I’m saying bro!! The **** does your cable/internet have to do with you getting that Nike Training Club work in?

Having said that, I actually feel you because I am lowkey stuck at the office right now because it’s thunderstorming with a tornado watch outside and I got new shoes on that I’m not going to get wet :lol:

Got it in this AM already btw :nthat:
1691450309526.png

I’m saying bro!! The **** does your cable/internet have to do with you getting that Nike Training Club work in?

Having said that, I actually feel you because I am lowkey stuck at the office right now because it’s thunderstorming with a tornado watch outside and I got new shoes on that I’m not going to get wet :lol:

Got it in this AM already btw :nthat:
1691450309526.png
Cats making every excuse in the world to not workout.

IMO yes

I was overdoing it

i mean it you recognize that you were going ham, it wasn’t necessarily the combination but the intensity…

never really thought about it but it kinda makes sense. lifting created tightness in your muscles and tendons. then hooping requires elasticity in those already tight tendons.

i think it has more to do with how people lift rather than the lifting itself, what i’ve noticed anecdotally observing others & even myself to an extent is that once people start lifting they change their activity balance, time is kinda zero sum and what happens is they do less hooping/soccer/tennis or whatever activities/sport they used to do & lose some of that adaptability/looseness because they spend more time doing comparatively slow lifts a lot time only in one plane & lacking any dynamism…thats what tends to get them twisted…

ideally lifting supplementarily would only improve your general strength/fitness, if you’re actually still doing things with some reason…cats who don’t lift snap their ish up all the time playing recreational sport…if people are lifting properly with a full range of motion and exposing themselves to dynamic movement, their mobility would improve not decrease

😂 went totally over my head 🤣 i was lost putting together what the one had to do with the other 🙃

Anybody in a big city? What is your gym like with TikTok being so popular? I love working out in a busy gym but I couldn’t image ducking tripods & avoiding TikTok gym skits
Norcal all regions from SF/Sac/Modesto.
never noticed any tripods of nothing. now Phoenix/scottsdale/glendale they stay with the phone vids and women look better

I'd prolly agree except for all the folks blowing their ish up that don't eem lift.

- 115 lb lil dude Air Force cat blew his acl up hooping. Doesn't lift. Can't squat a plate to save his wife's life.

- Bro law tore up his knee hooping. Pretty sure he wasn't lifting same day since he's a cardio beatnik.

- Young girlie at work tore a ligament in her knee. Ex D3/JUCO softballer IIRC. Doesn't hoop at all.

- Plenty of CrossFitters lift and run/xtrain in the same day (session). AFAIK most of their injuries are from lifting with poor form due to "For Time" type WoDs and not mixing modalities. I could be wrong.

It also begs the questions why pro NBA teams would have their strength & conditioning folks let dudes lift at all. If doing both increases injury why not just run and do conditioning + sport-specific drills then?
jbhmmm.png

I was actually reading an article about all the female soccer players that have blown out their ACLs and stuff recently. They definitely aren't hooping as xtraining. Whether we wanna call them lifters is debatable.

So I don't know. I haven't hooped since I was a jit so I'll just keep on lifting with a little bit of cardio on the side and keep it moving.
hubie.png

Unless your workout was gonna be streamed on your magic mirror (Tonal) or Peleton/iPad taped to your exercise bike, wtf does Xfinity gotta do with getting gains? If anything that should be motivation since you can't watch nothing so what else you gonna do at the crib like that?
mjtf.png

You know what? Imma head to the Yym right now. If I leave now I might be home by midnight.

Y'all dudes that ain't cut cable yet got it.
Ight Imma head out

I was actually reading an article about all the female soccer players that have blown out their ACLs and stuff recently. They definitely aren't hooping as xtraining. Whether we wanna call them lifters is debatable.

women’s biology/physiology is pretty fascinating in this regard, female athletes are so many times more likely to blow out their acls because of their hips being wider and the angles it creates in relation to their knees, or something like that…then there’s also a thing where at a certain point in their cycle (if they are even still having their monthly, which is a whole other thing) women’s joints become more lax making them even more prone to injury…

women’s biology/physiology is pretty fascinating in this regard, female athletes are so many times more likely to blow out their acls because of their hips being wider and the angles it creates in relation to their knees, or something like that…then there’s also a thing where at a certain point in their cycle (if they are even still having their monthly, which is a whole other thing) women’s joints become more lax making them even more prone to injury…

I've also heard that, and that their relative lack of leg musculature might also play a part when compared to male players.

SN: I used to have a (newb) female 'gymprentice' whose strength in all her lifts would plummet depending on where her cycle was. She was like a reverse Escanor or something.

She was untrained but still, we're talking like 20-25+% off the bar, ish was crazy.
jKKyKN6.png

I'd prolly agree except for all the folks blowing their ish up that don't eem lift.

- 115 lb lil dude Air Force cat blew his acl up hooping. Doesn't lift. Can't squat a plate to save his wife's life.

- Bro law tore up his knee hooping. Pretty sure he wasn't lifting same day since he's a cardio beatnik.

- Young girlie at work tore a ligament in her knee. Ex D3/JUCO softballer IIRC. Doesn't hoop at all.

- Plenty of CrossFitters lift and run/xtrain in the same day (session). AFAIK most of their injuries are from lifting with poor form due to "For Time" type WoDs and not mixing modalities. I could be wrong.

It also begs the questions why pro NBA teams would have their strength & conditioning folks let dudes lift at all. If doing both increases injury why not just run and do conditioning + sport-specific drills then?
jbhmmm.png

So I don't know. I haven't hooped since I was a jit so I'll just keep on lifting with a little bit of cardio on the side and keep it moving.
hubie.png
Weight training has been scaled back significantly in recent years in the NBA with a focus on resistance and mobility, lifting weights during the season is nearly zero. OF course I am not on any team so can't speak to facts, but even MJ's trainer came out about this a few years back an article from QG-

“You have so much more technology, so much more resources, less contact, and still more injuries. It’s mindboggling to me. It’s because everything is rubber band, everything is resistance, everything is cable. There are teams in the NBA right now that don’t even have a weight room"

Grover did have MJ workout out on game days, but never legs and very early in the morning, (10+ hours before game time)

OF course you can form your own conclusions, and I might have pulled my achilles regardless, but I doubt it honestly

Last edited:
I've also heard that, and that their relative lack of leg musculature might also play a part when compared to male players.

SN: I used to have a (newb) female 'gymprentice' whose strength in all her lifts would plummet depending on where her cycle was. She was like a reverse Escanor or something.

She was untrained but still, we're talking like 20-25+% off the bar, ish was crazy.
jKKyKN6.png

never would have thought it would impact the actual strength training but that is a reasonable conclusion…bringing back to the proposed argument of lifting making one more susceptible to injury, women’s lack of muscle and/or the imbalances created by their anatomy, the remedy is actually lifting to strengthen around the knee 😂

as previously noted monitoring intensity is important with these activities but another thing that should considered is recovery, if combing activities without awareness of this it’s entirely possible that one isn’t adequately recovered

Weight training has been trimmed significantly in recent years and lifting weights during the season is nearly zero. OF course I am not on any team so can't speak to facts, but even MJ's trainer came out about this a few years back an article from QG-

“You have so much more technology, so much more resources, less contact, and still more injuries. It’s mindboggling to me. It’s because everything is rubber band, everything is resistance, everything is cable. There are teams in the NBA right now that don’t even have a weight room"

Grover did have MJ workout out on game days, but never legs and very early in the morning, (10+ hours before game time)

OF course you can form your own conclusions, and I might have pulled my achilles regardless, but I doubt it honestly

it’s a lil’ different with high level athletes, especially in season, particularly for players that are actually playing meaningful/substantial time on court/field/pitch…it probably wouldn’t make much sense for a pro athlete to lift meaningfully before a game but definitely would after as they are already primed & can consolidate activity to that day and dedicate off days to recovery as opposed to spreading that activity across multiple days

…similarly for anyone balancing priorities, if you want to play a sport, prioritize the sport and use the lifting as a supplementary thing, it is the rudimentary advice given when strength training vs doing cardio for weight loss & making the gains it isn’t necessarily that both can’t be done but one does impact the other if not being smart about it

as for why nba players are getting injured more now despite the game being less physical, more open, better knowledge & technology…one hypothesis is that along with players generally being bigger, faster, more skilled, & stronger it’s actually because all these things are true that more injuries are happening, less physicality and more openness enables more space to get into the lane unimpeded thus with more speed, as does better/more cushioned/springy footwear that allows players to put more more into the floor, at greater aggressive/attacking shin angles, and notoriously hoopers see weight training as an anathema to be avoided (similar to soccer players too, and both sports do have a substantial aerobic demand so putting on additional muscle can be counterproductive) but looking at us football players, most of them dudes are hella athletic/explosive and they do much more lifting and those guys (even the gigantor lineman) move really well

$69 no sign up fee is crazy cheap, gotta be a catch?

my understanding is the people behind this particular gym are actually in the gym equipment space, i thought it was going to be much more expensive too but gyms are notoriously hard businesses and it’s hard to imagine them philly buls really training year round in numbers likely to support such facilities at that scale so who knows what’s the thinking if it’s not going to be a premium experience

Weight training has been scaled back significantly in recent years in the NBA with a focus on resistance and mobility, lifting weights during the season is nearly zero. OF course I am not on any team so can't speak to facts, but even MJ's trainer came out about this a few years back an article from QG-

So if weights are scaled back during the season and dudes still can’t stay off the shelf, I’m not inclined to believe weights + hooping are the problem.

If anything, everything being resistance/bands/cables and not having weight rooms makes me believe athletes simply aren’t exposed to heavy enough stimuli often enough but that’s just my uninformed opinion.

The injury thing happens in football. Same thing happens in soccer. Same thing happens in MMA. Same thing happens in collegiate softball.

Idk if it’s a specific modality mixed in with the specific sport training at the wrong ratio, word to tailed beast chakra, or if it’s the overall intensity, or what effect PEDs have on muscular vs. connective tissue healing or what.

Anecdotally, of the two times in my life I’ve been injured-injured one time occurred during IMs before I started lifting (when my muscles were prolly at their weakest) and once was when I went OD maxing out DLs and SQs on back-to-back days. So once on the field and once on the platform

I don’t really have a dog in the fight so I’ll just hope Brodin watches out for all of us as we lift/train. Wheymen.

my understanding is the people behind this particular gym are actually in the gym equipment space, i thought it was going to be much more expensive too but gyms are notoriously hard businesses and it’s hard to imagine them philly buls really training year round in numbers likely to support such facilities at that scale so who knows what’s the thinking if it’s not going to be a premium experience
Ahh, yeah I saw this. My 1st thought was no way that gym stays open for long. Mostly because the gym just seems like a fad now days but maybe because that’s just because that’s the content I follow on TikTok so it seems like the whole world is working out lol.

Ahh, yeah I saw this. My 1st thought was no way that gym stays open for long. Mostly because the gym just seems like a fad now days but maybe because that’s just because that’s the content I follow on TikTok so it seems like the whole world is working out lol.

It does?
  • Overall, about 13% of the world’s adult population (11% of men and 15% of women) were obese in 2016.
Shannon Sharpe

I don’t really have a dog in the fight so I’ll just hope Brodin watches out for all of us as we lift/train. Wheymen.

🤣🤣🤣 is this a call back to the ‘protein pantheon?’ 😮‍💨😂

It does?
  • Overall, about 13% of the world’s adult population (11% of men and 15% of women) were obese in 2016.
Shannon Sharpe

the economics for gyms are tough, most gyms are kinda betting people don’t actually show up 😮‍💨 on the lower tier and on the high end the focus is on amenities, exclusiveness, & personal experience that people with money and serious enough about wellness to pay out for, the mid range seems like the toughest sell…not so cheap that it is an afterthought but not quite expensive enough to be exclusive or status inducing, but the no contract thing is interesting. for all that they seem to have put in those gyms i was joking in the group chat they gotta be washing money from illicit activities because it doesn’t really make sense 😂🤷🏿‍♂️

given the overweight/obesity numbers here in america there’s is enough awareness that people should be in better physical health but most people struggle with how/what to do (the fact that so many hit the gym and still believe in doing copious amounts of cardio points to this) especially after that initial motivation wanes and the positive results, if they happen at all, come slower…

so i would think it is the case that way more people are working out & interested in fitness today than ever before but in fits & starts

Back
Top Bottom