STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

How your hand look like that? I go raw too but my hands never look like that. EVER! Im doing something wrong.

:lol:, torn up hands are not an indication of doing something right or wrong. It's a sign of poor hand maintenance.

That's how my hands looked until I tore a callus doing bulk kipping pull ups. Hurt like hell.

Since then, I've learned how to shave down down my calluses. The top, thick portion is what will cause the tear. It's better to shave it down with a razor, pumice stone or what I do sometimes... blades from a box cutter. There is a soft layer of new skin under the rough skin. If your callus tears, it takes thew new skin with it, leaving a wound behind. Not a pleasant feeling.

Since I started maintaining my hands, haven't had issues. To play it safe though, I do tape my hands when I know I'm going to do a ton of pull ups.

Hands never looked like that after deadlifts, cleans (all variations), so I guess it depends on the person.

This guy as been a bastard during its healing process.

Ripped it a while ago.

Took about a full week until the pain was Ok.

I need the stone, heard it's the best.

Unnecessary pain. My hands never look like that. I wear gloves. Ripped up hands doesnt make you a tough guy bros. that looks disgusting. And leaves you open for infection.
I don't get any of that split caluses thing like ya'll get. Only my middle finger got a callus. Only when i first started lifting srs back in 08.

Last edited:
Unnecessary pain. My hands never look like that. I wear gloves. Ripped up hands doesnt make you a tough guy bros. that looks disgusting. And leaves you open for infection.

Never wore gloves playing ball.

I just don't like the feel of anything over my hands.

To me I feel better bare hands.

i'm far from a big or tough guy but i prefer no gloves because i like the feel and even more, i'm too lazy to remember to bring and maintain the gloves and i despise the smell of stink gloves, straps etc.

I don't get how you guys are tearing up your hands doing DLs. Are you shifting your grip mid-lift?

I've seen crossfitters on my FB showing off their torn, bleeding hands after doing Kipping. I see no reason not to wear gloves when doing those.

Last edited:
Jesus lol take care of your hands guys. I lift 6 days a week, no gloves and pull/push more then average weight. My hands are not torn up. Use bag balm and a file.

I have calluses but no where near as bad as the next guy. Feel like they've mostly formed from pull/chin-ups more than any other exercise.

Meh not that serious to me. I usually end up picking at my calluses but I once tore a fresh one that bled for 3 days after. Took the underlining skin with it and since then I try to maintain them. Didn't lift for a whole week after that.

The chalk probably made the picture worse but my hands usually look like this as I pick at them throughout the week lol. And and I can't lift with gloves, I like the natural feeling but that's IMO I don't judge. I don't lift the most weight, and it's just preference. Just get in the gym and do work.

Some one reccomend some good yet inexpensive knee wraps

Just search for any on eBay. I got some black/red ones with velcro for like $10.

As for callouses, I just use a nail file. I've never torn a callous. That's just careless in my opinion. I'll never use gloves to lift again, but no reason to look like you have a disease.

Not sure if this is the place to ask but hopefully someone can help me out.

I recently increased my running routine a lot which was going well but my right achilles ended up tightening up a lot. It got so bad it hurt to walk a couple of days and I haven't been able to run for a couple weeks. Any suggestions on what to do? Keep resting? Would doing light/short runs help it recover or just set me back more? Thanks in advance to anyone who has some insight/suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom