STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Need to gain some muscle mass. I'm a textbook hardgainer. Any tips? I'm about 6'3" 175.

I usually have 2 whey protein shakes (1 with milk 1 with water) per day

A lot of

Quaker Oats
Eggs
Tuna fish
Red meat

^main sources of protein

*I know this has probably been brought up. don't feel like scouring the entire thread

Last edited:
Hey NT, 

The back of my left hand (left side of the back of my hand) has been kinda hurt and it feels like some of the ligaments are damaged. Other than ICING it, what else can I do? I have iced it for the last week but it has not gotten much better. 

I can still do regular things but when I lift heavier weights or put some more than normal pressure, it gets slightly painful.

Any suggestions?

If it isn't a ligament or tendon tear, you may benefit from moist heat. After the first 48-72 hours icing won't be very effective and inflammation is not being built up anymore. The goal is to increase blood flow to the area and moist heat works well.

I've also had great success with a a homeopathic anti-inflammatory called Traumeel along with wintergreen essential oil. They aren't too expensive and work fairly quick from my experience, but it obviously depends on the nature of the pain. Use it up to 3x/day. Also you may want to do some high rep, low intensity movements of the wrist/hands to stimulate more blood flow. Grippers, finger extensions with a rubber band, wrist extension/flexion, supination/pronation, etc.

Any of y'all experience knee pain?

Did legs last Tuesday morning, woke up Thursday morning and my right knee was stiff. No real pain, but it's uncomfortable. Not sure if it was something i did on Wednesday or from my leg workout since it showed up 2 days later. I've never had any type of knee injury before so it's weird.

Now fast forward about a week and i still have the discomfort. It stiffens up when I walk, but just ran a mile with no problem (which makes no sense lol)

I'm having trouble self-diagnosing myself because I can't even really describe the pain/discomfort.

The only thing that is concrete about it is when i sit down to do a hurdlers stretch, I feel it real tight on the big ligament that runs down the inside of my knee up a little bit to the inner part of the hamstring . Since I feel it there, I'm thinking it might be more of a hamstring than a knee injury.

Sorry guys, I know that's a lot, but if anyone could shed some light it would much be appreciated.

I've had some medial knee pain develop when I was squatting with lots of volume. A couple of days of Self-Myofascial Release(SMR) on the quadriceps (especially vastus lateralis and medialis) and IT Band relieved it quickly. I tend to feel pressure medially when I push too hard on straddle mobility, related to pressure on the adductors.

If it isn't a ligment injury, look at the thighs, lower legs, and hip flexors for knots and release them with a lacrosse ball. PNF stretching can help restore ROM quickly and effectively, especially after SMR.

Been eating healthy for the most part the last week but one of my clients at work gave me 16.5 pounds of Sour Patch Kids. :x

They are my favorite candy :smh:

Get rid of it. Period. As long as bad foods are easily available, you will have a hard time staying away. It takes more mental energy to have it and not eat it than it does to get rid of it.

Need to gain some muscle mass. I'm a textbook hardgainer. Any tips? I'm about 6'3" 175.

A lot of

Quaker Oats
Eggs
Tuna fish
Red meat

^main sources of protein

*I know this has probably been brought up. don't feel like scouring the entire thread

Copp a mass gainer and increase your meal intake. I was eating a lot of fast food. Don't take this route if you don't like, but it worked for me. Gained 60 pounds and from there modified my diet when I reached my goal. Hit the gym hard and lift heavy while you're doing all of this of course.

Do any of y'all eat bison? It's expensive, but well worth it. Tastes just like a regular burger.

A lot of

Quaker Oats
Eggs
Tuna fish
Red meat

^main sources of protein

Copp a mass gainer and increase your meal intake. I was eating a lot of fast food. Don't take this route if you don't like, but it worked for me. Gained 60 pounds and from there modified my diet when I reached my goal. Hit the gym hard and lift heavy while you're doing all of this of course.

Mass gainers? Noo..stay away from that junk.

diet doesn't matter THAT much if you're going from sedentary lifestyle to an active one you're going to lose weight, and get results simply by being more active. as you become more nitpicky on the results you want, then yeah sure it well

im trying to find the healthiest stuff i can pig out on that tastes good cause i tend to like to eat a lot.

i think my go to snack is going to be grapes.

Huh? I think its the exact opposite. Diet is SOOO much more important going from a sedentary lifestyle to an active one.

Try telling someone who hasnt worked out in years that they can continue their dietary habits and just move a little more and see what kind of progress they achieve.

The more someone exercises, the less important diet is.

Hey NT, 

The back of my left hand (left side of the back of my hand) has been kinda hurt and it feels like some of the ligaments are damaged. Other than ICING it, what else can I do? I have iced it for the last week but it has not gotten much better. 

I can still do regular things but when I lift heavier weights or put some more than normal pressure, it gets slightly painful.

Any suggestions?

I kind of like seeing the different point of views regarding diet and nutrition in this thread. Just keep in mind everyone has different goals and some might need to keep their diets tighter than others to avoid falling off the wagon all together.

I see it as gas in car. If I'm currently whipping a Ferrari, no way in hell am I going to put some regular gas in there, I need that premium.

I personally feel like **** when I eat a lot of processed foods which is why I choose to limit/restrict my intake if possible. When I'm not traveling my diet 95% consists of lean protein, eggs, quinoa, Brussels sprouts, various mixed veggies, various fruits and olive oil. The crazy thing is that I actually like eating that stuff on a regular basis. Granted if I go out to eat it'll be different but for the most part i still try to avoid overly processed foods, etc..

To those who really have their diets dialed in, I suggest you step away from the supplements then too. Lord knows whats in those these days. You should only be supplementing what you aren't getting from your diets. I personally prefer to eat more chicken or a couple eggs than to just throw back a protein shake.

I've made some slight progress since the pics I uploaded in Dec. I've been on the road the past 3 weeks and have still be able to handle business. Mixing in the 1/4 mi 'runs' in between different lifting sets have started to pay off and will cut up nicely in due time + IF'ing is the truth

Last edited:
I kind of like seeing the different point of views regarding diet and nutrition in this thread. Just keep in mind everyone has different goals and some might need to keep their diets tighter than others to avoid falling off the wagon all together.

I see it as gas in car. If I'm currently whipping a Ferrari, no way in hell am I going to put some regular gas in there, I need that premium.

I personally feel like **** when I eat a lot of processed foods which is why I choose to limit/restrict my intake if possible. When I'm not traveling my diet 95% consists of lean protein, eggs, quinoa, Brussels sprouts, various mixed veggies, various fruits and olive oil. The crazy thing is that I actually like eating that stuff on a regular basis. Granted if I go out to eat it'll be different but for the most part i still try to avoid overly processed foods, etc..

To those who really have their diets dialed in, I suggest you step away from the supplements then too. Lord knows whats in those these days. You should only be supplementing what you aren't getting from your diets. I personally prefer to eat more chicken or a couple eggs than to just throw back a protein shake.

I've made some slight progress since the pics I uploaded in Dec. I've been on the road the past 3 weeks and have still be able to handle business. Mixing in the 1/4 mi 'runs' in between different lifting sets have started to pay off and will cut up nicely in due time + IF'ing is the truth

I'm with you on that, but I have to have a daily protein shake and bar. I'm already cooking 4 times as it is lol

Every day it is
2 chicken breasts
4 oz bison
8 oz egg whites
Protein shake
Protein bar

What other sources of lean protein could I use to replace the shake and bar? It's hard enough money and time'wise cooking 4 times a day lol

Mass gainers? Noo..stay away from that junk.

Yeah those have too much sugar in them from what I've read. And fast food to gain mass? :lol:

What are some healthy foods to help pack on muscle?

Up your Mass by MHP is a solid gainer, carbs come from barley and oats.

I think we need to realize that, even though mass gainers are not ideal, they are not terrible either, especially if you are busy and it fits your macros. In all reality, where else are you gonna find a 50g protein, 80g carb meal for about $2.50-$3.00. I'm not advocating that everyone should hop on them but they can be beneficial to getting gains

diet doesn't matter THAT much if you're going from sedentary lifestyle to an active one you're going to lose weight, and get results simply by being more active. as you become more nitpicky on the results you want, then yeah sure it well

yeah, no.

a corpulent fella with a sedentary lifestyle will consume lets say oh i dont know....5000 calories in a day

he may add a workout into his routine, but that burns what 400-500 calls? he's still in that 4500 surplus range.

Diet will always matter the most, i feel, when it comes to weight loss.

Every day it is
2 chicken breasts
4 oz bison
8 oz egg whites
Protein shake
Protein bar

What other sources of lean protein could I use to replace the shake and bar? It's hard enough money and time'wise cooking 4 times a day lol

How many g does the whole food amount to?

Whats your weight?

going 1 g per lb is the max. Anything else is overkill or immaterial effect imo

yeah, no.

a corpulent fella with a sedentary lifestyle will consume lets say oh i dont know....5000 calories in a day

he may add a workout into his routine, but that burns what 400-500 calls? he's still in that 4500 surplus range.

Diet will always matter the most, i feel, when it comes to weight loss.

*Portions* will matter.

You can eat a big mac/etc.. a day and still lose weight. All comes down to # of cals not the kind of food itself

that new Chris Jones video "hippie voices ****ing up your dieting mentality" man I could relate to that so much. When people tell you
"you're getting too skinny"
"you looked better when you bigger"
etc.
especially when its coming from fat people or people who dont go to the gym. And they bug you about it every week.
Also when your cutting/trying to lose weight youre not always in the best mood all the time. Just wanna tell em to **** off lol

Well didn't think I was going to start a debate but I was really just referring to illest and that he should't let it drive him nuts. Diet is the most important thing when it comes to lifting NO DOUBT 100%,  but I still think your amount of protein should be your main goal and then carbs regardless of their scientific roles in your body. 

Just got done BALLIN a little bit ago, puttin WORK in on the court

FELT GREAT 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
absolutely nothing wrong with that
if you look at some huge guys thats all they do, simple exercises that work.
is it weird that my bench hasnt gone up in the past year?? but my dumbell press (flat and incline), and flys have made gains

i know you work alot of other muscles during bench press so ive tried to isolate certain groups like front delts and serratus muscles, which is why i think my other chest execises are going up, but not my bench. any ideas????

Up your Mass by MHP is a solid gainer, carbs come from barley and oats.

I think we need to realize that, even though mass gainers are not ideal, they are not terrible either, especially if you are busy and it fits your macros. In all reality, where else are you gonna find a 50g protein, 80g carb meal for about $2.50-$3.00. I'm not advocating that everyone should hop on them but they can be beneficial to getting gains

Rep'd. Will check that product out.

Back
Top Bottom