STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

How many grams of sugar are you guys taking in daily?
the sugar i get is just from 2 small pieces of dark chocolate daily and whatever fresh orange juices have . remember sugar is required when u take creatine since sugar "helps" insuline to move to the blood/vusculars.also you shouldnt not drink caffeine when you take creatine since it does the opposite of what sugar does.have read these while doing ergophysiology for my university 

i take c4 but honestly. i just mentally hype and go ballistic on my own.

ive always had a high baseline of pure energy.

in reality i should carry some electrolytes stuff for endurance.
Wait why no caps?

And as of now too much damn sugar. Been studying for my boards, get my workouts in regardless of how much studying I have to do in the morning but between seeing patients and studying, all I do is eat candy lol. Gummy worms, gummy bears, if it has sugar I'm eating it lol. But getting done with this damn 2 day test this Sunday and Monday so I'll be done with that. If I keep myself occupied I'm fine with my diet but studying bores the hell out of me and all I do is end up eating.

Last edited:
Wait why no caps?

Been on NT for 4 years and never typed one letter in this thread. Now I'm here!

I haven't been in the gym regularly since I graduated college last year. I would lift, do some cardio, and mostly hoop. I got an LA Fitness membership last week and started going on Monday.

I've always been good shape, tall w/ an athletic build, etc. But I'm still trying to go about working out the proper way.

So far this week (breakdown):

Monday: Upper Body
Tuesday: Lower Body
Wednesday: Hoop for 3 hour
Thursday: Rest
Today: I'll probably do upper Body

I know the consensus is to do push/pull exercises on different days, but I've always combined the push/pull on the same day. Which I'm assuming is incorrect. I'm back in the gym and focused on going hard the days I'm on the weights, but I'm there for the basketball (1-2 days a week) mostly.

How do you all recommend I attack working out, the 4-5 days a week I'm able to? Any workout plans I should be aware of?

How did you guys rehab elbow pain? I'm starting to have pain, and I know it's from exploding on tricep exercises.

Also, do you guys lock out when doing Close Grip Bench Press, and Triceps Pulldown? I got told that locking out on those is bad for your elbows, and I've always done it.

How did you guys rehab elbow pain? I'm starting to have pain, and I know it's from exploding on tricep exercises.

Also, do you guys lock out when doing Close Grip Bench Press, and Triceps Pulldown? I got told that locking out on those is bad for your elbows, and I've always done it.
doubt there is anything apart from putin ice on it after your workout is done.i suffer from the same issue sometimes after doing bench press mostly , its normal to have pain though if you are puting a lot of weight 

doubt there is anything apart from putin ice on it after your workout is done.i suffer from the same issue sometimes after doing bench press mostly , its normal to have pain though if you are puting a lot of weight 

There's pain at times when I'm not even lifting, or haven't lifted within 8+ hours.

I'll be driving, and it'll hurt. Nothing super major, just a dull pain, but I do feel it.

There's pain at times when I'm not even lifting, or haven't lifted within 8+ hours.

I'll be driving, and it'll hurt. Nothing super major, just a dull pain, but I do feel it.
and u dont even have swelling on your elbow ? if it hurts when you drive it may mean u may have injured a muscle there ( there is a tiny one whose end is where elbow is i just cant recall his name in english and his ONLLY move is to extend your elbow , the exact move u are doing when you are driving ) 

Weve gotten to the point where pain is a normal, acceptable thing?

I know it's not normal at all. If it was, I would've felt it a lot sooner. I've only noticed it for the last 2-3 weeks.

Do you have any suggestions on how to rehab it? I already know not to lock out on presses, how about pulls for tris? I also know now to explode, even though I was going against my own knowledge.

and u dont even have swelling on your elbow ? if it hurts when you drive it may mean u may have injured a muscle there ( there is a tiny one whose end is where elbow is i just cant recall his name in english and his ONLLY move is to extend your elbow , the exact move u are doing when you are driving ) 

It's not from driving. I guarantee that. I've been driving for 5 years, and I've never felt my elbows hurt.

It's not from driving. I guarantee that. I've been driving for 5 years, and I've never felt my elbows hurt.
nah i didnt mean driving caused any possible injury , i meant that you may have injured a muscle in the elbow area from lifting weights and when you drive that you extend your arm you cause the pain cause thats the move that the injured  muscle is doing :smile: 

Started a new workout routine to get me over my bench plateau

Monday
Squat 10, 8, 5, 5, 5
Leg Press 3x15
Good Morning 4x12
Romanian Deadlifts 3x12
Standing Ab Pulldown 4x8

Tuesday
BB Bench Press 5x1 (at 100% Max) 3x8 @ 80% max
Bentover Row 3x8
Inverted Row 3x failure
Pullup 3x Failure
BB curl 5x5

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Front Squats 3x5
Deadlift 10, 8, 5, 5, 5
Shrug 4x12
Back Extensions (Hyper) 4x12
Standing Ab Pulldown

Friday
Overhead Press 10, 8, 5,5,5
Seated Dumbbell Press 3x10
Superset:
Upright row 3x10
Lat Raise 3x10
Dip 4x Failure
Tricep Pushdown 4x10

Lemme know what ya think.... The idea of the bench is to train your body in doing a heavy amount of weight one time.

imo there are better ways to break a bench plateau. powerlifters use specific programs in cycles before meets. i'd def suggest some heavy tricep work - low volume and heavy weight. if you have friends at the gym, you can load up the bar with more than your 1rm and work on controlling the weight on the negative. you can use bands or chains during your bench lifts. speed work. etc.

imo there are better ways to break a bench plateau. powerlifters use specific programs in cycles before meets. i'd def suggest some heavy tricep work - low volume and heavy weight. if you have friends at the gym, you can load up the bar with more than your 1rm and work on controlling the weight on the negative. you can use bands or chains during your bench lifts. speed work. etc.
exactly ! fackin triceps are so needed to increase ur BB !

Lemme know what ya think.... The idea of the bench is to train your body in doing a heavy amount of weight one time.
I would do singles around 90% of your max. Hitting 5 singles of your true max in one workout will be very difficult and would fry your CNS.

Last edited:
Where is your weak point on bench?

Are you getting stuck at lockouts ?

*then do heay tris and block benching

Are you unable to get it off your chest?

* then do heavy negs and focus on controlling the weight and paused reps

Also, do you have good form? Good positioning on the bench?

Good ole pause reps. Think I'm gonna lower the weight on the lifts next week and do some pause reps sets.

F' the ego, work on the movement and the form, and get results.

Also I'm a traditional barbell deadlift person, but recently I've seen more and more people use the hex bar for deadlifts. You can do a lot more weights, and it seems to eliminate the lower back from the deadlift and turn it into more of a squat as the center of resistance is changed. Any thoughts on the hex vs. traditional deadlift?

Last edited:
somehow got a fluke *** injury playing basketball on Thursday...sprained AC joint in my shoulder (separated shoulder due to a torn ligament). can still move a lot, but it hurts a lot to make certain movements. it'll heal on it's own.

I was making really nice progress after 5 weeks of 5x5, but I'm gonna have to stop for at least 3 weeks. I guess I'm just going to focus on a lot of cardio now, but anyone have any recommendations for some jump training I can focus on over the next few weeks? I really wanna be able to throw it down on the court next time I get on. I can't quite dunk cleanly yet, but I'm close...probably a few inches away.

Also I think double triples and heavy 5s will help break a plateau better then just singles. My bench is progressing nicely on just a 5x5 once I get done with it I do paused singles and doubles just to get the feel of heavier weight.

Does your gym have boards? That will help with overloading and get you used to heavy weight.

Thanks for the input all... negatives definitely work we did them for 4 weeks during my last workout (8 weeks long)

I thought the same about the whole tricep thing only one lift for them? i was confused.

We are supposed to do our max, but i cant get that 5x1 so i was doing about 95-90% and help on the last 2-3 sets..

As far as positioning and all that, yes i feel like I have good control when doing my sets. My problem is getting 265 i can easily do 255 but that 265 feels like im trying 300.. Ill get there, will post progress each week...

again thanks for all the input

Monday
Squat 10, 8, 5, 5, 5
Leg Press 3x15
Good Morning 4x12
Romanian Deadlifts 3x12
Standing Ab Pulldown 4x8

Tuesday
BB Bench Press 5x1 (at 100% Max) 3x8 @ 80% max
Bentover Row 3x8
Inverted Row 3x failure
Pullup 3x Failure
BB curl 5x5

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Front Squats 3x5
Deadlift 10, 8, 5, 5, 5
Shrug 4x12
Back Extensions (Hyper) 4x12
Standing Ab Pulldown

Friday
Overhead Press 10, 8, 5,5,5
Seated Dumbbell Press 3x10
Superset:
Upright row 3x10
Lat Raise 3x10
Dip 4x Failure
Tricep Pushdown 4x10

You sure you want to do good mornings and RDL back to back. I'm assuming that your squat will be heavy, your lower back will be fried by time you get to the RDL.

Back
Top Bottom