Stephen Colbert taking over Late Show in 2015

Thoughts?

@CBSTweet: #CBS Announces Stephen Colbert As The Next Host
Of "THE LATE SHOW”

Last edited:
It's official.

My thoughts? The late night talk show format is a severely outdated idea with the advent of cable/satellite television.

Last edited:
TV by the Numbers via Press Release

CBS ANNOUNCES STEPHEN COLBERT AS THE NEXT HOST

OF “THE Late Show
[table][tr][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][/table]
The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of THE Late Show, effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. The five-year agreement between CBS and Colbert was announced by Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation, and Nina Tassler, Chairman of CBS Entertainment.

Letterman, the legendary, critically acclaimed host of the CBS late night series for 21 years, announced his retirement on his April 3 broadcast. Colbert’s premiere date as host of THE Late Show will be announced after Mr. Lettermen determines a timetable for his final broadcasts in 2015.

Specific creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted Late Show, will be determined and announced at a later date.

“Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” said Moonves. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.”

“Stephen is a multi-talented and respected host, writer, producer, satirist and comedian who blazes a trail of thought-provoking conversation, humor and innovation with everything he touches,” said Tassler. ”He is a presence on every stage, with interests and notable accomplishments across a wide spectrum of entertainment, politics, publishing and music. We welcome Stephen to CBS with great pride and excitement, and look forward to introducing him to our network television viewers in late night.”

“Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career,” said Colbert. “I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead.”

Adding, “I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

Since its launch on Comedy Central in 2005, “The Colbert Report” has received widespread critical acclaim while earning two Peabody Awards and 27 Emmy nominations, including an Emmy win for Outstanding Variety Series (2013) and three Emmy wins for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program (2013, 2010, 2008). Prior to that, Colbert spent eight years as a correspondent on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” as an on-air personality and writer of news satire for the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning series.

In addition, Colbert is an accomplished author, with two books, I AM AMERICA (and So Can You!) and AMERICA AGAIN: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren’t, appearing on the New York Times best-seller list. AMERICA AGAIN also won a Grammy Award for Spoken Word (2014).

In music, Colbert’s original holiday musical special on Comedy Central, “A Colbert Christmas,” won a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album (2009) and Emmy nominations for Art Direction, Picture Editing and Original Music and Lyrics. In April 2011, Colbert starred as Harry in the New York Philharmonic presentation of Stephen Sondheim’s “Company.”

After graduating from Northwestern University, Colbert was a member of Chicago’s acclaimed Second City improv troupe with Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello. The trio later created and starred in the CableAce-nominated sketch comedy series, “Exit 57,” and created the cult-hit narrative series “Strangers with Candy,” both for Comedy Central.

Colbert has appeared on series such as HBO’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and NBC’s “Law & Order: Criminal Intent.” He was also a cast member and writer on ABC’s “The Dana Carvey Show,” wrote for “Saturday Night Live” and voiced roles in DreamWorks’ animated films “Mr. Peabody and Sherman” and “Monsters vs. Aliens.”

THE Late Show is broadcast weeknights on the CBS Television Network from 11:35 PM - 12:37 AM, ET/PT.

Nice.

Will he break character? 
smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-055.gif

Sucks that the only good interviewer on TV is gone (Letterman), the only person we have left to give legit interviews is Howard Stern, and even he's gotten a tiny bit soft lately

Speaking of Howard, Danny Trejo (Machete) was on yesterday - phenomenal interview! Definitely suggest listening if you enjoy great interviews, one of the best Howard has done in awhi

Last edited:
won't last. he's too political and opinionated to be a legit host. basically, he's too smart for the average viewer. they want somebody they can manchurian candidate out. Fallon is one of the biggest cornballs in history, yet he's having more success than conan. nahhh b.

Last edited:
Nice.

Will he break character?

That's the main thing - he'll have to do this show as himself - not the character he portrays on the Colbert Report. That will be a big surprise to a lot of people who think he is that guy.

won't last. he's too political and opinionated to be a legit host. basically, he's too smart for the average viewer. they want somebody they can manchurian candidate out. Fallon is one of the biggest cornballs in history, yet he's having more success than conan. nahhh b.

Lol i still dont get the fallon hate. I enjoy him man. Hes corny but hes entertaining as hell.

I feel this wont last also. I really thought the guy from HIMYM would somehow end up getting it

It's gonna be interesting how much leeway the network gives Colbert. It can go either way I feel

I'm going to miss him on the Colbert Report.. but I'm happy for the guy anyway. For a lot of comedians, Letterman is still their idol and taking over his show is a huge honor. Not to mention the pay raise that CBS will be able to give him.

He won't be in character anymore.. which might be another reason he did it. Having to be in character your whole show can get tiring and I imagine he wants to try something new.

The talk show format is outdated and Stewart and Colbert were awesome alternatives.

Good luck to him. I love the character, but I can see how he might be ready to move on to something else.

He's pretty damn good.....but wait, there's people out there think he really is conservative?? no way b

Colbert is very funny and quick witted. Which is why I think he'll be great with celebs plus he'll have more time to do interviews.

And while I liked his political stuff his show wasn't like the daily show. He probably wanted to try something new. Anyways I hate Fallon so this will be great to see

You confusing NBC for CBS. Have you never watched Letterman? Farthest thing from a programmed puppet.

Also the Colbert not he Colbert Report is a created character. Stephen doesn't have to keep it political to be funny and entertaining. He can be just as clever, satirical, sarcastic and laugh out loud funny without leaning on that.

Power move for CBS. HUGE loss for Comedy Central and the pressure will now be on Stewart to carry the network.

Colbert appeals to a younger crowd. CBS picked the right guy to compete against Fallon.

He's pretty damn good.....but wait, there's people out there think he really is conservative?? no way b

This study from tOSU begs to differ - http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/2/212.abstract

This study investigated biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perceptions of Stephen Colbert. Results indicate that political ideology influences biased processing of ambiguous political messages and source in late-night comedy. Using data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology. Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert's political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.

Back
Top Bottom