Stop calling us "Spanish"

Filipinos who say that they're not Asian are illiterate. How are you not Asian yet Taiwanese, Japanese, Indonesian, etc people considered Asian? Losers with that self-hate, ashamed of being associated with Asians

Originally Posted by east99

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Filipinos aren't Asian.

That is all.

pacific islanders. micronesian as i was explained, but plenty of Filipinos consider themselves asian... i don't know why.

You two are ignorant.

Anywho, because of the issues that were brought out in this thread, I politely ask a person what ethnicity they are instead of just making an assumption. And then, if I am wrong after, they will know it's just an honest mistake or a blantant joke....Issue avoided.
wink.gif

Jesus.

Angry replies to NT classic line quote is incredible.

NT's sarcasm detector must be in the shop for the holiday.

Filipinos aren't Asian.

That is all.

pacific islanders. micronesian as i was explained, but plenty of Filipinos consider themselves asian... i don't know why.
so the japanese are not asian?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SFC415

Filipinos who say that they're not Asian are illiterate. How are you not Asian yet Taiwanese, Japanese, Indonesian, etc people considered Asian? Losers with that self-hate, ashamed of being associated with Asians

THEY ARE DENYIN IT!
schedule a thread to be made on every 2nd Tuesday this year.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

I'm from Sudan but people call me African American. It's really not that serious
But you are African American... you're from Africa and living in America.

And what's wrong with Chicano? I had a class in college called Chicano Literature taught by a Mexican and he wanted to be called Chicano...

Im Mexican and Spanish so I could care less. I always joke with my non Mexican co workers who are Latino and tell em theyre Mexican. Living in California ive never really heard anyone refer to a Latino as Spanish. Everyone here just assumes that if you speak Spanish youre Mexican.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

I'm from Sudan but people call me African American. It's really not that serious

And what's wrong with Chicano? I had a class in college called Chicano Literature taught by a Mexican and he wanted to be called Chicano...
i like the term chicano. ive ran into people who hate the word. and from experience they either don't know the history or meaning of the word, or think its racist(because they dont know the history)

Originally Posted by VoidEmperor

Originally Posted by Moe Fab

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I always say Messican, because it irks so many cats. But ya'll sounding real sensitive. Besides I'm American anyway. Hate when people born in the States say they Mexican. Mexicans don't even like you, you Yankee Americano.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just because someone was not born in mexico doesn't mean that their not mexican. How you going to forget what you are just because you were not born there. trying to erase their roots, c'mon man.

yeah, true, but in reality, i know for a fact Mexicans in Mexico dislike Chicanos (kids born in the US of mexican parents for those who dont't know) and will say they're not Mexicans. Same with central Americans, South Americans, Puerto Ricans and even Africans too! They talk mad about how "African Americans" aren't even Africans. Discussions like this can go on, but in reality where ever you were born you're what you are. Be proud of who you are and of your roots.
you dont know for a fact. as a mexican born here who goes to mexico alot i can tell you ive never had any problems or been treated any differently than natural born mexicans when in mexico.
mexicans dont like american born people who think they are better or flaunt their money. i go out there and treat everyone with respect and love and it gets returned.

i can understand if they dont like you because youre americanized or popis. i was raised hella mexican so they see me as their own. sorry if they treat you like a gabacho

Originally Posted by McRaptor

Originally Posted by Grizzly Hebert

Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead

asians being called oriental is worst. but we dont give a F and neither should you. quit being so sensitive

Isn't the term "Orient" just referring to East as in Asia in general. So would 't calling someone Oriental just mean someone from Asia?

Ignorant on the subject... Asking a serious question.
I haven't met a single asian that's found it offensive 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
U sure about that? I'm not Asian, but when I hear an Asian referred to as "oriental", I think of seasoning, not race, ethnicity, or a geographic location
laugh.gif

I'm with addressing people as they chose to be identified.....but the internet is the only place I hear this sentiment.

ALL of the Latinos (equally a misnomer) that I know in real life CALL THEMSELVES and "their people" Spanish.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

I'm with addressing people as they chose to be identified.....but the internet is the only place I hear this sentiment.

ALL of the Latinos (equally a misnomer) that I know in real life CALL THEMSELVES and "their people" Spanish.

well I AM MEXICAN and do not identify myself or "my people" as spanish. i wont get offended by it, but i will correct you.
i dont get why people care so much about what other cultures want to be called or identified as. who are you to tell me im spanish or whatever word YOU want to describe me as.

i dont tell black people or asians what the correct term to call themselves. its not my place. (not talking about goldenchild)

another anti latin thread the mods choose to let slide 

I went to high school with a bunch of El Salvadorians and Mexicans. They ALWAYS said stuff like "spanish people" "spanish neighborhood" "spanish party" etc.
Didn't know people were really offended by that tho.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

Filipinos aren't Asian.

That is all.

You two are ignorant.

Anywho, because of the issues that were brought out in this thread, I politely ask a person what ethnicity they are instead of just making an assumption. And then, if I am wrong after, they will know it's just an honest mistake or a blantant joke....Issue avoided.
wink.gif

how am i ignorant. i was basically stating what i was told by a fellow polynesian. i've talked about this subject to my fellow filipino friends and my brother in law who is also filipino. most don't know the answer.
it can go back and forth. i don't know your history, but it's obvious filipinos are pacific islanders since the pillipines is an island.
them chinese cats say filipinos aren't asian.
then why filipinos always seem to be pacific islanders more than asian? just my observation.

Thizz Marley wrote:

i like the term chicano. ive ran into people who hate the word. and from experience they either don't know the history or meaning of the word, or think its racist(because they dont know the history)

Originally Posted by VoidEmperor

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just because someone was not born in mexico doesn't mean that their not mexican. How you going to forget what you are just because you were not born there. trying to erase their roots, c'mon man.

yeah, true, but in reality, i know for a fact Mexicans in Mexico dislike Chicanos (kids born in the US of mexican parents for those who dont't know) and will say they're not Mexicans. Same with central Americans, South Americans, Puerto Ricans and even Africans too! They talk mad about how "African Americans" aren't even Africans. Discussions like this can go on, but in reality where ever you were born you're what you are. Be proud of who you are and of your roots.
you dont know for a fact. as a mexican born here who goes to mexico alot i can tell you ive never had any problems or been treated any differently than natural born mexicans when in mexico.
mexicans dont like american born people who think they are better or flaunt their money. i go out there and treat everyone with respect and love and it gets returned.

i can understand if they dont like you because youre americanized or popis. i was raised hella mexican so they see me as their own. sorry if they treat you like a gabacho

okay. i don't know. all the talk my friends uncles and others i've heard is just all talk and they're playing. i've met plenty of people with different views. i was just stating them as facts since i've heard from more than just 1 person. the hate is deep from what i've seen and heard.

If i go to my parents country, the girls would be all over me, but for sure the guys out there would try to kill me because i was born in America. I have no reason to visit there. I'm good here in the US.

I agree with most of those on hear that say it's a regional thing because out here on the west coast, I rarely get referred to as "Spanish" but when I do, it does get irritating. I don't have any Spanish influence in my family whatsoever and every person I've ever met in my lifetime that was from Spain has been an a pompous, rude and elitist prick. If I offended anyone that is from Spain by saying this, I apologize but I'm going by my personal experiences and I would never want to be categorized like those Spaniards that I've had encounters with in the past. I'm part Mexican and part Salvadorean and I can see where non Mexican Latinos would be offended in being called Mexican and I think it would it just easier if everyone referred to non European Spanish speaking as Latinos.

I'm half PR and half irish, so I don't really even look Rican. So if someone calls me mexican I just tell them I'm Irish and hit them with a
indifferent.gif

It bothers me, but ignorant people will be ignorant.

You two are ignorant.

wink.gif

how am i ignorant. i was basically stating what i was told by a fellow polynesian. i've talked about this subject to my fellow filipino friends and my brother in law who is also filipino. most don't know the answer.
it can go back and forth. i don't know your history, but it's obvious filipinos are pacific islanders since the pillipines is an island.
then why filipinos always seem to be pacific islanders more than asian? just my observation.

Thizz Marley wrote:

okay. i don't know. all the talk my friends uncles and others i've heard is just all talk and they're playing. i've met plenty of people with different views. i was just stating them as facts since i've heard from more than just 1 person. the hate is deep from what i've seen and heard.

If i go to my parents country, the girls would be all over me, but for sure the guys out there would try to kill me because i was born in America. I have no reason to visit there. I'm good here in the US.

its not a fact tho. im telling you what ive experienced first hand. my dad was born here in the usa and lived in mexico for a few years when he was a teenager. we get nothin but love out there.
like i said, its not american born mexicans they hate. its stuck up, spoiled americans they hate. if you go out there and treat everyone with respect and not flaunt that your american or have money 

you wont have problems. ive been all around mexico too. not just my fams town. never had any issues. never had to pay inflated american prices. im not seen as a foreigner or anything like that.

but i guess that has more to do with how i was raised. 

if you havent been been then you dont know

didnt know being called mexican was such an insult 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Thizz Marley

You two are ignorant.

wink.gif

Thizz Marley wrote:

i like the term chicano. ive ran into people who hate the word. and from experience they either don't know the history or meaning of the word, or think its racist(because they dont know the history)you dont know for a fact. as a mexican born here who goes to mexico alot i can tell you ive never had any problems or been treated any differently than natural born mexicans when in mexico.

its not a fact tho. im telling you what ive experienced first hand. my dad was born here in the usa and lived in mexico for a few years when he was a teenager. we get nothin but love out there.
like i said, its not american born mexicans they hate. its stuck up, spoiled americans they hate. if you go out there and treat everyone with respect and not flaunt that your american or have money 

you wont have problems. ive been all around mexico too. not just my fams town. never had any issues. never had to pay inflated american prices. im not seen as a foreigner or anything like that.

but i guess that has more to do with how i was raised. 

if you havent been been then you dont know

didnt know being called mexican was such an insult 
grin.gif

We can thank Republicans and ignorant bigots for that one 
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom