Stoudemire Spending Reported $100,000 to Learn From Hakeem Olajuwon

What is it today with these guys who need to "learn" post moves from past legends?

I mean it just shows these guys aren't being thought right at school/college level but are still able to get away with it cus of their athleticism yet as they age it all comes home to roost.

Take Dwight Howard he obviously got away with dunking all over guys when he was younger but without fundamental post skills all that talent can go to waste.

Everyone works with him now, not surprising.

Amare should have been doing this years ago tho

I forgot who said it, but they were saying when did Hakeem become the go to guy for post moves and why not Kevin Mchale. This was before he became coach again.

Just because they haven't learned from some of the greatest players of all time, doesn't mean they're not learning skills.

What is it today with these guys who need to "learn" post moves from past legends?
I mean it just shows these guys aren't being thought right at school/college level but are still able to get away with it cus of their athleticism yet as they age it all comes home to roost.
Take Dwight Howard he obviously got away with dunking all over guys when he was younger but without fundamental post skills all that talent can go to waste.

Dwight and Amar'e never went to college, though.

You can't learn to effectively play the post in HS, surrounded by 5 foot guards.

Plus big men ain't the only one that payed for The Dream to work with them...he tutored Kobe and Bron too. Both players benefited tremendously from the lessons, even though they aren't centers.

Don't see any problem here.

Last edited:
$50,000 a week is steep though, especially when he's the one who called out and invited dudes. I don't think Serge is even going to have time though. I'll save those dudes 50k and forward them some Youtube videos. The bit of "instruction" I saw from his sessions with Dwight wasn't anything ground breaking. A lot of people who can do have trouble teaching though. It was almost literally just, "do this," and he does a fadeaway.

Last edited:
hakeem moves are sick, but i swear those were some difficult shots that he took and not many can hit those on consistent basis. it's like learning to take difficult shots from kobe. still think mchale has some of the best moves. they were simple and effective. amare should hit up chuck and learn some moves and rebounding. easy money for hakeem

Dwight and Amar'e never went to college, though.
You can't learn to effectively play the post in HS, surrounded by 5 foot guards.
Plus big men ain't the only one that payed for The Dream to work with them...he tutored Kobe and Bron too. Both players benefited tremendously from the lessons, even though they aren't centers.
Don't see any problem here.

What I came in here to say...

I knew Hakeem had to be making money from this. No way players were learning from him for free.  

If Amare can learn some post moves, 
eek.gif
 that'll go a long way. Not sure if Tyson will have enough time. 

Last edited:
:wow: didn't realize he was charging that much

There were atleast 10 players that were supposed to work out with him this summer..

Damn, $100,000? Hakeem was always about getting his money.

I know McGee, Mozgov & Faried are supposed to be working with the Dream this summer, Nuggets must be paying the bill.

I forgot who said it, but they were saying when did Hakeem become the go to guy for post moves and why not Kevin Mchale. This was before he became coach again.

Because Hakeem was better. McHale was better with his hands, he had all kinds of fakes with the ball in his hands, but when it comes to footwork, Hakeem in the post can't be compared.

Damn, $100,000? Hakeem was always about getting his money.

I know McGee, Mozgov & Faried are supposed to be working with the Dream this summer, Nuggets must be paying the bill.

I don't know if any of guys know this, but Hakeem doesn't keep the money he gets from players. All the money he gets from teaching guys like Dwight, Kobe, Lebron and Amare all go to his local Mosque in Houston. Dude is very generous person. I think he sold off his championship rings and made one into something else. Not to sure about the one.

Also, the moves that Hakeem had used in the NBA were more for quicker guards and forwards. He even admitted to this when he taught Kobe the post moves. The amount of quickness you need far surpasses the strength one might assume is more useful when doing his moves.

Check out the video. Also, this is an old article written about how guys performed before and after they worked out with Hakeem. There no surprise that Kobe benefited a lot more than Howard did. Aside from the difference between Kobe's work ethic than Dwight's is night and day, it's obvious that Hakeem's moves are more for faster guards and Forwards. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/9364/comparing-lebron-to-hakeems-graduates

If I was Dwight, I would hit up McHale more than Hakeem. Yeah, Hakeem's moves were more fineness but McHales moves were more on positioning and power/leverage. Someone like Dwight who relies heavily on his strength and athleticism would benefit more from McHale. Look at the video of him learning from Hakeem--Dwight seems to look like a robot doing these moves compared to Kobe. It's mostly all footwork, which Dwight doesn't have.

Now, someone like Amare would benefit from Hakeem simply because he's much faster and prefers to get the ball from the mid-post which is most effective if using Hakeem's moves. Amare already has a jumpshot from 14-16 feet away on top of the post which he developed in his later year in Phoenix. If he can integrate that baseline fadeaway or spin--His game would benefit greatly and would probably add another 3-4 years to his career.

Look at LeBron and Kobe for example. They actually use the moves in the mid-post. Reason being is because they're so quick and will have more room to work around as opposed to a slow center that needs to get the ball in the low-post and has very little space to effectively use the moves. Watch videos of Hakeem in his old Houston days. Dude would get the ball from the mid-post and just do work ala Dream Shake. Very rarely you'd see him back down on someone and muscle his way to the basket.

This is a prime example

EDIT: This video is another great example. Just ignore the amazing defense in the beginning. It'd probably take a couple of summers for Amare to learn that :lol:

Last edited:
Hey_

Hakeem wants to work with Serge too, he let Scott Brooks know.

Hopefully something comes of it.

Julius F. Wrek

There no surprise that Kobe benefited a lot more than Howard did. Aside from the difference between Kobe's work ethic than Dwight's is night and day, it's obvious that Hakeem's moves are more for faster guards and Forwards.

Dwight's scoring average skyrocketed almost 5 ppg up after the offseason when he worked out with Hakeem. No way is that a coincidence.

Also, other than the season after his rookie year, there isn't a single season in LeBron's career where he clearly became better at a single aspect of basketball than the difference in his post game last season (after he worked out with Hakeem) and his post game two seasons ago.

Back
Top Bottom