STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON MOVIE RELEASE DATE 8/14/2015

To the older heads- remember when Friday came out in theaters and they played the music video for Dre - Keep the Heads Ringing. It got the theater hyped for the movie as it set the mood. I was hoping they'd show the music video for Straight Outta Compton leading into the film since they're both F Gary Gray films.. just a thought

Great movie. My girl didn't know how E died.

Pac and Snoop were a great segway to get us to E's death.

Forgot E put Bone Thugs on.

Lots of folks in my theater were strapped. Clearly multiple gang members from Tango Blast and Houstone in the theater they were older cats so everything went smoothly.

My bro had a horrible experience at Greenspoint.

edit fail 
grin.gif

Last edited:
Funny thing is they were just rapping about what's real, and their everyday experiences.

Lowkeeyyyy disagree with this but everything else you said is valid.

Not really Lowkey, I 100% disagree with your statement about their music actually :lol:

Police brutality[emoji]9989[/emoji]
Drug dealings[emoji]9989[/emoji]
Violence[emoji]9989[/emoji]
Sex[emoji]9989[/emoji]
Gangs[emoji]9989[/emoji]
Theft[emoji]9989[/emoji]

Its not '15 rap. When these dudes made it, they still were living in Compton. Not recording in a Bev Hills loft like you see today. Easy-E recorded in his Compton studio up until he passed. Even Snoop caught a murder case. Next thing you gonna say Murder was the Case was a fallacy?

Even if your arguement is they're not real gangsters which they werent, doesnt take away what they were exposed to living in South Central in the late 80s early 90s. :lol:

Last edited:
Sex[emoji]9989[/emoji]
Gangs[emoji]9989[/emoji]
Theft[emoji]9989[/emoji]

Its not '15 rap. When these dudes made it, they still were living in Compton. Not recording in a Bev Hills loft like you see today. Easy-E recorded in his Compton studio up until he passed. Even Snoop caught a murder case. Next thing you gonna say Murder was the Case was a fallacy?

Even if your arguement is they're not real gangsters which they werent, doesnt take away what they were exposed to living in South Central in the late 80s early 90s.
laugh.gif
My argument isn't even that they aren't real gangsters. My argument is that you can definitely make rap music about Police Brutality, Drug dealings, violence, gangs, the things you mentioned without glorifying and celebrating it. We can break out the lyrics from that Straight Outta Compton album right now, and it's plain as day that they are more so celebrating the pitfalls of their environment which isn't cool to me which is why I don't really rock with their music like that. 

They are portrayed as a group that just documented what was going on in their neighborhoods, or as Cube in the film said, they were "Journalist." TO ME, it isn't cool, as journalist to just celebrate that kind of stuff and then get riled up and up and arms when one time treats you badly or gang violence results in the death of your brother or something. As I said earlier, a guy like K Dot who grew up in the same environment wrote about that environment without glorifying or celebrating it the way NWA did. 

Sure, what is wrong with a community goes beyond the artist and they aren't totally responsible for that. However, part of why NWA is what it is is because of the supposed influence they had on America and culture, so with that they do carry some responsibility for what was going on in Compton at the time. That music sure as hell didn't help the dire straits that compton was and to an extent still is in.

This is turning into a "Did NWA Have Street Cred?" thread
mean.gif
mean.gif
I really never once talked about NWA's street cred though. I don't even know where that came from 
laugh.gif

Really what I'm saying is people make NWA's music more than what it is. And if you're going to magnify NWA's music and make it more than entertainment, then you have to acknowledge that the music didn't really help what was going on in South Central / Watts / Compton during the time period.

Movie was below average. HUGE problem with the wardrobe, and background characters. Particularly the women and fans dressing like its 2015. Think I saw a pair of foamposites :rofl:. Definitely some cargo shorts and frat boy wear. And unrealistic hairstyles and wardrobes for late 80's women.

The dialogue was corny, forced, rushed...and aiming for big one liners. This movie felt really rushed. Bad pace. Made it seem like they blew up overnight after one recording session and a performance.

With that said, Ice Cube's son did a SPECTACULAR job playing his father. Aside from him flat out looking like his father, he had Cubes mannerisms and attired on point.

Came out disappointed.

Didn't really notice the current wardrobe and hairstyles except for at the Pool Party. That was the one time where I thought it was flagrant.

Felt like the Movie was pretty good. One of, if not the biggest issue for me was the dialogue. From Suge, to Dre, to everyone really, they all were far too self aware. They were speaking as if they "knew" their success was imminent, which to me made a lot of the dialogue cringeworthy.

The first scene to me IMO was probably the best scene of the film.

The entire theater went "oh my gahhhh" when it was revealed that eazy had HIV. I swear I was the only person in there who knew that's how he died prior to seeing it.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 I still remember our school had a lil shrine for Eazy on the week he died. Then Pac a year after. Then Biggie the year after...
mean.gif

frown.gif
tired.gif

Saw this movie a few hours ago and I gotta say I am conflicted about it. I really enjoyed some parts of the movie, and could just shake my head at other parts. 

A few points.

1. The acting was fantastic from everyone. Cube's son and the guy who played Eazy stood out as phenomenal. 

2. A few parts of the trailer werent in the movie, like Eazy trying to bring a machine gun on the tour bus. Maybe they are saving it for a director's cut?

3. No reason for Snoop to even be in the movie. He added nothing to it IMO

4. The fashion from that era was incredible, really wished I could have experienced it. Instead I experienced the 4XL shirts from the mid 2000's

5. Someone else posted this but it happened at my theater too, there were a couple of people laughing when Dre got that call that his bro died 
indifferent.gif
, nothing funny about that scene at all 

Overall I enjoyed the film and am glad I saw it in theaters. I feel like the first half of the movie was much better paced then the second half. 

Movie was below average. HUGE problem with the wardrobe, and background characters. Particularly the women and fans dressing like its 2015. Think I saw a pair of foamposites :rofl:. Definitely some cargo shorts and frat boy wear. And unrealistic hairstyles and wardrobes for late 80's women.

The dialogue was corny, forced, rushed...and aiming for big one liners. This movie felt really rushed. Bad pace. Made it seem like they blew up overnight after one recording session and a performance.

With that said, Ice Cube's son did a SPECTACULAR job playing his father. Aside from him flat out looking like his father, he had Cubes mannerisms and attired on point.

Came out disappointed.

I stopped reading here. Go back to listening to Drake now.

Going to go watch the movie today with my fam at 2:30. Hope there isn't a large amount of people trying to watch it when we get there because I don't want any problems or any coo coo for co co puffs people yelling throughout it.

Sex[emoji]9989[/emoji]

Gangs[emoji]9989[/emoji]

Theft[emoji]9989[/emoji]

Even if your arguement is they're not real gangsters which they werent, doesnt take away what they were exposed to living in South Central in the late 80s early 90s. :lol:

My argument isn't even that they aren't real gangsters. My argument is that you can definitely make rap music about Police Brutality, Drug dealings, violence, gangs, the things you mentioned without glorifying and celebrating it. We can break out the lyrics from that Straight Outta Compton album right now, and it's plain as day that they are more so celebrating the pitfalls of their environment which isn't cool to me which is why I don't really rock with their music like that. 

They are portrayed as a group that just documented what was going on in their neighborhoods, or as Cube in the film said, they were "Journalist." TO ME, it isn't cool, as journalist to just celebrate that kind of stuff and then get riled up and up and arms when one time treats you badly or gang violence results in the death of your brother or something. As I said earlier, a guy like K Dot who grew up in the same environment wrote about that environment without glorifying or celebrating it the way NWA did. 

Sure, what is wrong with a community goes beyond the artist and they aren't totally responsible for that. However, part of why NWA is what it is is because of the supposed influence they had on America and culture, so with that they do carry some responsibility for what was going on in Compton at the time. That music sure as hell didn't help the dire straits that compton was and to an extent still is in.

True. Theyre teens and young adults they were mad. What music do you listen to? Im sure the celebrate negativity. They still do in rap. You got Drake with guns going off in his music, and dude is a suburban kid :lol:

Down to rock, country, etc. They celebrate negativity. Whats your gripe with NWA :lol: everythings commercialized for $

I stopped reading here. Go back to listening to Drake now.

Lol.

They had dudes in swingman jerseys, fitteds and baggy jeans, really tall T's. They got the wardrobe for NWA mostly right. Especially cube and Eazy E.

I'm speaking more so of the background characters. Go watch the pool parties, look at the women...look at the concert goers again...and them come back to me.

Last edited:
Didn't really notice the current wardrobe and hairstyles except for at the Pool Party. That was the one time where I thought it was flagrant.

Felt like the Movie was pretty good. One of, if not the biggest issue for me was the dialogue. From Suge, to Dre, to everyone really, they all were far too self aware. They were speaking as if they "knew" their success was imminent, which to me made a lot of the dialogue cringeworthy.

The first scene to me IMO was probably the best scene of the film.

Bruh that scene where Dre was telling Suge he was out, and Suge mugged him and asked him what he's going to name his new label. Dre pauses all...then all self assured says AFTERMATH. Cut scene. :rofl:

Or snoop and Dre coming up with the whole first verse to nothin but a g thang after hearing the beat for 30 seconds lol.

Or the pac scene where he was recording California Love in 93.

True. Theyre teens and young adults they were mad. What music do you listen to? Im sure the celebrate negativity. They still do in rap. You got Drake with guns going off in his music, and dude is a suburban kid
laugh.gif

Down to rock, country, etc. They celebrate negativity. Whats your gripe with NWA
laugh.gif
everythings commercialized for $
The funny thing about this, is that I DO listen to country music too 
laugh.gif

But even with the guys I listen to today, (Drake, Cole, Sean, others) There's not an abundance of negativity in their music. That is, they don't revel in it. That isn't what they are known for. Where as with NWA, they've got themselves a movie, they are painted in history as these trail blazing artist who showed the world what life was like in the American Ghettos and all that jazz and I personally think that's BS because when you listen to the music, over half of it was destructive. They were not documenting their environment, they were glorifying and celebrating all the negatives of their environment, and in the process monetizing it. Like...Did you hear what Eazy E was saying? That is not political correctness or providing a lense to your environment for the world to see. That's literally saying the most outrageous gangsta **** and see what happens. 

South Central and compton were lit during the NWA era and all they did was pour gasoline on that fire. Their detractors and critics of the time had a lot of validity to it. 

Last edited:
I noticed all the logos and everything. Yall gotta know they weren't going for the perfect movie to block out everything and that's fine. Just like dude with the Adidas kareem swing man at the pool party :lol:

Bruh that scene where Dre was telling Suge he was out, and Suge mugged him and asked him what he's going to name his new label. Dre pauses all...then all self assured says AFTERMATH. Cut scene.
roll.gif

Or snoop and Dre coming up with the whole first verse to nothin but a g thang after hearing the beat for 30 seconds lol.

All of this man like come on 
roll.gif

They made everything so grandiose like it happened so "suddenly," "out of a dream" man lol I wasn't there but I can almost guarantee that all of these instances probably were far less dramatic than that. The dialogue resembled real life Wrestling at times. The acting however was really good.

But I get it, it has to be that way since it's for a movie. The Dramatization and all.

Bruh that scene where Dre was telling Suge he was out, and Suge mugged him and asked him what he's going to name his new label. Dre pauses all...then all self assured says AFTERMATH. Cut scene. :rofl:

go back some pages in the thread we already went over every concern you just posted so to sum it up like Cube and F Gary Gray said.....

Its hard trying to cover 10 years worth of history in only 2 hours to the masses

There will be a 3 hour long directors cut released that goes a little more in depth

The timeline with the songs and music is pretty much accurate but for time reasons scenes was taken out but if you pay attention to the dialog you can pretty much fill in the blanks with that year is what

as for the snoop thing

Snoop was a freestyler thats how he met the dogg pound and how he met Dre

he freestyled most of the Doggystyle and The Chronic (been stated by numerous people even the people involved with the album)

in the movie each scene Snoop is in he is freestyling or about to go in the booth and go off the dome.... so you pretty much can put 2 and 2 together... F Gary Gray wanted the audience not aware of early Snoop to know he was a freestyler! Did Nuthin But A G Thang happen exactly like it did in the movie? probably not BUT this is a movie involving some of the biggest stars in pop culture. You gotta remember outside of the hood and urban community ALOT of people know Snoop as the fun stoner and Dre as the billionaire with beats by Dre buying Tom Bradys house and Ice Cube as the actor/director in 21 jump street, Ride Along, Anaconda and Are We There Yet

Back
Top Bottom