STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON MOVIE RELEASE DATE 8/14/2015

Hell yeah i agreed with her. i saw friday, bith and menace yo society in at black theaters and i cant see myself going through that now at 34. Hell the studio is paying for extra security at certain theaters.

I was going to go with a bunch of homies but i didnt know my girl wanted go. Even the homies and i were saying we aint going to the black theater we we planned to attend the whitest theater.

You out watching those movies when you were 10? Yeeeeeeeahhh..... Tap dance

Wasn't around for the NWA era, but if someone could shed some light on this for me it would be pretty cool.

The film reeks of revisionist history, romanticism, and dramatization. Great movie, but the whole NWA thing just seems like it was a bit blown out of proportion for the sake of the film. Obviously I wasn't around so I can't grasp the full scope of the time period, but were they really that impactful to American history as the movie portrayed them to be?

Yes, nobody was sounding like them. It was very rare you heard any cursing in music at that time.. These guys took it another level and had the establishment shook.

To add. NWA was very impactful. It introduced hip hop to white suburban America. White kids were buying and dressing in Raiders starter jackets, shirts, hats, etc. NFL went from selling 300mill in merch to 3bill over the time period. A lot could be attributed to NWA and them making Raiders clothing the "IT" thing.

Hell, even the LA Kings changed their colors to blk/silver and sold a grip of merchandise too.

Once something black and menacing penetrated white American it was considered a problem. Funny thing is they were just rapping about what's real, and their everyday experiences.

Originally Posted by thenewjs23 

Watching tnite. My girl who is white said we arent going to a black theater. Sadly i aggreed.

Surprised the whitest theater in the area is playing it. im going in all black.

My guy gonna be in a theater full of crickets. You gotta go to an urban area to see this. :pimp:

Excited to see this. I remember being 5 when Easy passed. One of my earliest memories was being on the 110 fwy South, and seeing Easy and a Lowrider. He had the Raider cap and Locs on. I had a Raider shirt & shorts. My dad knew him from idk where, he said wsup to my dad and peeled out.

pimp.gif
He prbly use to slang with E

My guy gonna be in a theater full of crickets. You gotta go to an urban area to see this. :pimp:
Exactly. That was what made the experience last night. Every time a song came on the whole theatre was reciting the lyrics word for word. Was like a concert in that joint. :pimp:

- Preciate it.

I'm 34 and slightly too young to remember, NWA was really my older cousins steez and they are in their 40's. Growing up in the hood I remember dudes riding thru in their S-10's, 5.0's and irocs bumping NWA. Glad that era is over cause it took my cousin who was like my brother from me.
Im 31 and i remember that. Im more into the artists history and background also tho.

Wasn't around for the NWA era, but if someone could shed some light on this for me it would be pretty cool.

The film reeks of revisionist history, romanticism, and dramatization. Great movie, but the whole NWA thing just seems like it was a bit blown out of proportion for the sake of the film. Obviously I wasn't around so I can't grasp the full scope of the time period, but were they really that impactful to American history as the movie portrayed them to be?

And from a purely musical perspective, was their music that impactful? They had one good album before everything went to ****. 

They were overrated IMO and don't have a classic. Straight Outta Compton was an OK album at best.

Funny thing is they were just rapping about what's real, and their everyday experiences.
Lowkeeyyyy disagree with this but everything else you said is valid.

Not really Lowkey, I 100% disagree with your statement about their music actually 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Just came back from seeing this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm 32 and even though my parents would not let me listen to it i remember the impact. My dad was a cop so i can understand their reasoning even more. Even so i wish I could have experienced this era fully when it happened.

I'm black if it matters. .

Ice Cube is a top 10 lyricist in my book and arguably the best to do it from the West. He'd be a certified legend if he didn't drop anything after his first three albums. Cut it out with there's always one. Public Enemy was what NWA is remembered as.

i guess you aint old enough to remember when boyz or meance dropped. Maybe you you aint been to the hood. I saw both movies at greenspoint in houston.

magic johson theater is the black theater.

Im probably older than you by alot and this movie aint bringing out violence dog

This movie aint like colors this movie aint gon bring out bloods and crips dog

If you expecting 40 year old african american nwa fans to have drive bys and brawls over a rap group biopic i dont know what to tell you son.

And its usually dudes talking bout hood thats not even hood

Last edited:
Yooo this movie was GREAT. Yall really diggin too deep into the criticism. Only thing I didn't like was the weird time lapse when it was 93 Cube writing Friday then all of sudden Pac recording Hail Mary but like many said. It's a movie with time restraints. Cube Jr did a hell of job. Had his pops mannerisms down to a science it was lightweight spooky. E's character did a great job too. All around great movie. I'll prolly see it again cause my girl wana see it too...I live in suburbia and it got an ovation at the end...

They were overrated IMO and don't have a classic. Straight Outta Compton was an OK album at best.

You must be from the east coast

Although i somewhat agree that they are a tad bit overrated due to the lack of material and such a short time period of them being on top that all goes out the window when you realize what am impact they made on music as a whole.

If it wasnt for them your favorite rapper would be sounding like fresh prince right about now

Although i somewhat agree that they are a tad bit overrated due to the lack of material and such a short time period of them being on top that all goes out the window when you realize what am impact they made on music as a whole.

If it wasnt for them your favorite rapper would be sounding like fresh prince right about now
Fresh Prince was dope 
smokin.gif

From New York and proud of it. Nas would sound like the Fresh Prince?

You was bumpin that parents just dont understand in the ride huh?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But for real though, Fresh Prince was another guy who was way before my time. When I got older I went back into his material, and I thought it was seriously dope. Everything ain't gotta be so damn hard, violent, and controversial. World needs more of Fresh Prince music 
smokin.gif

Parents Just Don't understand

Summertime 

Ring My Bell

Trapped on The Dance Floor

I'm all that

Whew 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom