STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON MOVIE RELEASE DATE 8/14/2015

From New York and proud of it. Nas would sound like the Fresh Prince?

Im a huge nas fan and nas wouldnt even exist let alone be so successful as he once was if it werent for groups and rappers like nwa who put a dent in mainstream rap by showing you you can sell by rapping about the streets, drugs, and violence

There have always been rappers talking bout street life but none of them caught the attention of america like nwa

So yes if mc hammer and fresh prince continued to dominate the charts nas would be rapping about his grandma buying him socks for christmas

:lol:

But for real though, Fresh Prince was another guy who was way before my time. When I got older I went back into his material, and I thought it was seriously dope. Everything ain't gotta be so damn hard, violent, and controversial. World needs more of Fresh Prince music :smokin

Parents Just Don't understand
Summertime 
Ring My Bell
Trapped on The Dance Floor
I'm all that

Whew :pimp:

Summertime was the best thing will smith ever created

Movie was really good.

2 problems I had was the actor they chose for Snoop's role and they didn't mention the Korean store owner killing Latasha Harlins.

That guy didn't look or sound anything like Snoop :smh: :lol:

Summertime was the best thing will smith ever created
Will not object to this. Timeless classic for sure.

But I am a Will Smith fan though...Like I thought Party Starter and Switch were dope 
embarassed.gif

While we're on the subject, what I will say about NWA's music, and this probably isn't an opinion shared by most, is that it did more harm than good to LA during that time.

I feel that the whole "this is our art, and it's a reflection of what's going on" this is flat out horse****. It's a cop out. Their music was filled with violence and flat out outrageous lyrics that encouraged what was going on within compton and south central.

Was their situation that they came up in dire? For sure. But you can talk about your environment, and surroundings without encouraging fighting and killing. (See someone like Kendrick Lamar)

it was a different time. The 80s were far worse than what Kendrick grew up in. And of course some of their lyrics were a little outrageous but what rapper doesn't skew their "upbringing" and what not. It's entertainment at the end of the day. They didn't know any better. They were young dudes out the hood with a voice. And that was it. I believe if more material was produced and they lasted longer, their tone would have changed a little bit over time

I feel like what N.W.A. did was an over exaggeration and people took it too seriously

Famb you were born in 92 and admitted you know little to nothing about the era. Just stop. If you're soft and don't like the music then don't listen to it, but NWA and Straight Outta Compton happened and it scared white America to death.

Famb you were born in 92 and admitted you know little to nothing about the era. Just stop. If you're soft and don't like the music then don't listen to it, but NWA and Straight Outta Compton happened and it scared white America to death.
This isn't about being "soft" or not liking the music. Listen to what they are saying. Whether I was born in 92 or not, I have ears.

I love hip-hop, and i've heard most if not all of NWA's catalog. Don't gas NWA then be mad when that neighborhood is turnt and it's senseless homicides all over the place. 

You are correct, it did scare white america to death but that wasn't my point.

This isn't about being "soft" or not liking the music. Listen to what they are saying. Whether I was born in 92 or not, I have ears.

I love hip-hop, and i've heard most if not all of NWA's catalog. Don't gas NWA then be mad when that neighborhood is turnt and it's senseless homicides all over the place. 

You are correct, it did scare white america to death but that wasn't my point.

Senseless homicides were happening way before NWA decided to make music about it. If anything, Straight Outta Compton opened a lot of people's eyes about what was really going on in America's ghettos.

Last edited:
it was a different time. The 80s were far worse than what Kendrick grew up in. And of course some of their lyrics were a little outrageous but what rapper doesn't skew their "upbringing" and what not. It's entertainment at the end of the day. They didn't know any better. They were young dudes out the hood with a voice. And that was it. I believe if more material was produced and they lasted longer, their tone would have changed a little bit over time
All of which you said was and is true. And at the end of the day it is entertainment.

But NWA themselves have said it's more than entertainment. They said it's their reality. At that point, what you're selling is beyond entertainment. People were and are really dying in compton and south central, and the music did nothing but encourage that.

Like I said, The Movie was fantastic however. My opinion on their music has nothing to do with the film, which is awesome. I'm going to see it probably two more times this weekend 
laugh.gif

Senseless homicides were happening way before NWA decided to make music about it. If anything, Straight Outta Compton opened a lot of people's eyes about what was really going on in America's ghettos.
So because senseless homicides were happening way before NWA that makes what they were saying okay? 
laugh.gif

Were they really opening eyes about what was going on in America's ghettos or were they just saying the most outrageous gangsta **** to sell records? 

Look whether you like their music or not, that's all subjective. Music is subjective. But what they were saying was far from what people portray their music as. It was nothing more than music and entertainment. Entertainment that encouraged a lot of what was going on in their neighborhoods at the time. 

Last edited:
This week album sales.

Dr Dre Chronic 6,010 (only pure sales were shown)

NWA Straight Outta Compton 8,304/11,769 (without streams/with streams)

Dr Dre Compton 278,558/300,904 (without streams/with streams)

Dr Dre Chronic 2001 7,894 (with streams)

I saw it alone and liked it. Only thing I walked away from is I have my own vision like Dre and want to do something big about my writing. Start school on Thursday and excited to just get this thang going.

But other than being motivated. I thought Paul G did a good job. Eazy and Dre of course. Cube son man is just awesome I hope he get more stuff not connected to his father and see what he can do.

Snoop role was a bit off. I thought the Pac dude was the one that showed up at Celtic games :lol:

Cubes son was damn good

Eazy dude was real good too

Didn't like that the Dre kid didn't resemble him at all. At least IMO

I'm glad I wasn't the only dude in the theater that was able to recite No Vaseline lol. My only problem with the movie came straight off the rip. In 1986 the White Sox didn't have that logo and the MLB logo on the back of hats started in the mid 90's. I had to ***** about something. Other than that Bravo! O'shea jr got a bright future

Last edited:
Movie was cool. still trying to figure out why 2 dudes were laughing uncontrollably during the scene where dre got the call about his brother. and why people still bring babies to theaters in 2015. ice cubes son killed it. young snoop was a great cameo. 

I'm glad I wasn't the only dude in the theater that was able to recite No Vaseline lol. My only problem with the movie came straight off the rip. In 1986 the White Sox didn't have that logo and the MLB logo on the back of hats started in the mid 90's. I had to ***** about something. Other than that Bravo! O'shea jr got a bright future

Maaaaan, thank you for saying that about the Sox logo/mlb logo on the backs of the hats. Spotted New Era side flags on 1989 hats too. I cringed the whole damn movie on that haha. Also, Dre rocking a Majestic branded swingman style Dodgers jersey and Yella with the Stitches brand Dodgers basketball jersey. C'mon wardrobe/continuity, y'all are better than that haha!

Thought the movie was great, though they took some liberties with some of the events. Some jerkoff ruined the ending for the entire theater by screaming...and yes this is a direct quote... "DRE BY BEATS BEYOTCH!!" over top of the closing line of the movie. Why can't folks just be respectful in public?

Peace,
J

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom