Strange situation, could use some advice.

Why not dump the car note and buy something cheaper. That should help open your career options a bit.

What about the NPR job appeals to you? Just because it's "media", doesn't mean too much now days since you have unlimited opportunities to get your work out there through other channels.

Sadly op you'll end up hating your dream job because of all the struggling your about to get into. Just take the data job go back to school and stack paper get comfy then chase the dream.

You have a small window to do a number of different things in terms of setting up your future.. going to be tough to take the npr job at this time unless you are uber confident you can find a suitble part time gig in dc

nerd.gif
do continue

Real talk I'm this close to calling this recruiter back and taking this job.

I'm about to list the pros and cons of each right now

9-5:
Pros
Comfortable pay based on my situation
Pay allows me to cover my bills and still be comfortable
Better opportunity for savings as parents are letting me stay home until I can stack enough bread to leave
Tuition support for when I go for that MBA
Upward mobility to other departments is possible and facilitated by an MBA

Cons
Work is not what I'm passionate about and honestly sounds somewhat boring
I don't want to get "stuck"

NPR:
Pros
Basically a continuation of my winter internshp, which I completely loved
Able to explore work I'm passionate about (writing/media)
Opportunity to network outside the state and to meet some huge personalities
A great resume credit for a highly competitive industry that I'm desperately trying to break into

Cons
Pay is not that high
Only a temporary internship with no guarantee of employment afterwards
I don't live anywhere near DC
Living arrangements in DC are horrendously expensive
If I fly, I won't have reliable transportation (which is a must in that field)
My bills, cost of living arrangements, food, and transportation might not be payable with the NPR stipend
Biggest con: THIS NPR GIG IS NOT A SURE THING. I haven't even interviewed with anyone yet

EDIT: I just saw some of your posts. Man I really ain't tryna be back in the pjs right now.
laugh.gif
but that doesn't mean every cheap spot in DC is the hood, is it?
build dat foundation first ($$$) then chase the dream at least a year of two of money . n yes every cheap spot is dc is the hood that hasnt had target or walmart or starbucks / chipotle put in it yet . they building a target n chipotle by my house 
tired.gif
 rent bouta explode . 

if u not tryna be in the hood then pg which is still hood to some standards is about 1200 , if u want that moco/va life prepare for 1600 plus monthly . but remember the further u move the move travel cost is . n just forget living in nw dc almost entirely . take that job stack for at least a year dc aint goin no where n internships come every season bruh

Yeah I think I'm just gonna take the job here. I'm already running out of money as it is. I need this loot.

It's also true that you don't really need to work for a media organization to get your voice out there.

I won't really be eligible for internships after a year, as I graduate in like 2 weeks.

But it is what it is. I'm grateful to have opportunities in the first place. I can still explore my interests and passion regardless.

I appreciate the advice yall

You don't have an offer from NPR? When's the interview? Sounds like someone else bailed on the internship and they are scrambling to fill the spot.

You can't risk passing on the guaranteed paid job on the table. If NPR doesn't give you the gig, then you're SOL.

if you have a friend thats an accountant or tax lawyer ask them about the finesse but llc's are still time consuming and cost money to create so it may not be worthwhile or possible for you to do in this instance.

Here's what you do. Take the job. Move to a place outside of DC. You don't have to live in DC to work here, bro. Get familiar with the Metro. If you can, try to get rid of the car because you obviously wont be using it out here. Find a sublease or a room to rent while here and network. You can make some connections or maybe meet a chick who will let you crash.

You don't have an offer from NPR? When's the interview? Sounds like someone else bailed on the internship and they are scrambling to fill the spot.

This sounds very possible. I also neglected to mention that my former editor down here knows the editors up there, and she said she'd send an email to some of those folks back when I applied.

I seriously hope that this doesn't make her look bad
Here's what you do. Take the job. Move to a place outside of DC. You don't have to live in DC to work here, bro. Get familiar with the Metro. If you can, try to get rid of the car because you obviously wont be using it out here. Find a sublease or a room to rent while here and network. You can make some connections or maybe meet a chick who will let you crash.

Losing the car is not really an option. I just got it and it's also in my stepdad's name

Last edited:
Follow your heart. You dont want to look back on this situation and regret missing the opportunity.

I had a similar situation coming out of college. Ended up getting an unpaid internship out of college at The Source magazine, Although I loved just about every min of it I just couldn't work without being compensated and there weren't hiring anyone.

Currently at another media company (business/financial) and although I'm getting paid and its secure its not as exciting to me. Its a tough situation but your heart will never lead you astray.

Good luck bro

This sounds very possible. I also neglected to mention that my former editor down here knows the editors up there, and she said she'd send an email to some of those folks back when I applied.

I seriously hope that this doesn't make her look bad

Losing the car is not really an option. I just got it and it's also in my stepdad's name
Business wise, you have no obligation to pay for it unless you're a cosigner. DC is the place to be though as far as coming up. If you have an inside plug too, it's even more sweeter. Don't let fear get you down. You flip the car, live off that cash, get the real job, and just start paying it back. It's the american dream, man. You gotta risk things to get that reward, pimp.

My friend who lives in DC is telling me that if I'm not trying to live in an episode of The Wire rent is like 1200 for a one bedroom. I'm on realtor and the cheapest spots don't look very hospitable. :smh:

DC can be relatively affordable, if you put your pride aside.

-You're going to have roommates. The good thing about DC is it's a very transient town, so there are a lot of options when it comes to temporary shelter. Look for somewhere near a college like GW, American, Catholic, Georgetown, depending on what type of place you want to live.

-You're going to have to give up the car. When I lived in the city a few yrs ago, my rent for a 650 sq ft studio in the heart of the city was $850. My parking space was $135 per month, and that wasn't even in the garage. The benefit of that is that metro is pretty good, and the city proper is small enough to easily bike.

-Even the bad spots are getting better. Gentrification (for better or worse) has cleaned up a lot of the rougher parts. When I lived in DC, I could walk around my neighborhood all day and never see a white person. Now they're everywhere.

-If you like it, it's not hard to support yourself in DC. Lots of jobs, not glamorous or high paying, but enough to pay the bills.

Not knowing anything else about your internship, it's doubtful it will lead to a FT position. Keep in mind DC is one of the most well educated cities. A bachelors from a good school is like a high school diploma.

*edit* just same you have an in with the editors up here. If it were me, i'd take the NPR gig and do the DC thing for a while. Like i said, it's not too hard to find a gig to cover your bills, and a part time gig is another option. Worst case, you go back to FL, especially since the job down there doesn't really sound like it's a career path type of job.

Last edited:
DC can be relatively affordable, if you put your pride aside.

-You're going to have roommates. The good thing about DC is it's a very transient town, so there are a lot of options when it comes to temporary shelter. Look for somewhere near a college like GW, American, Catholic, Georgetown, depending on what type of place you want to live.

-You're going to have to give up the car. When I lived in the city a few yrs ago, my rent for a 650 sq ft studio in the heart of the city was $850. My parking space was $135 per month, and that wasn't even in the garage. The benefit of that is that metro is pretty good, and the city proper is small enough to easily bike.

-Even the bad spots are getting better. Gentrification (for better or worse) has cleaned up a lot of the rougher parts. When I lived in DC, I could walk around my neighborhood all day and never see a white person. Now they're everywhere.

-If you like it, it's not hard to support yourself in DC. Lots of jobs, not glamorous or high paying, but enough to pay the bills.

Not knowing anything else about your internship, it's doubtful it will lead to a FT position. Keep in mind DC is one of the most well educated cities. A bachelors from a good school is like a high school diploma.

*edit* just same you have an in with the editors up here. If it were me, i'd take the NPR gig and do the DC thing for a while. Like i said, it's not too hard to find a gig to cover your bills, and a part time gig is another option. Worst case, you go back to FL, especially since the job down there doesn't really sound like it's a career path type of job.
this 

If your parents are able to help in any way take the NPR job, I know it's not what you want to hear, but unless they are on board, you will probably be working 80 hours a week doing two jobs and you will hate your life.

take the job, internships are no use anywayn get paid. worry thr other stuff later.

Didn't read the responses, but if this is your dream job go for it and make it work fam. Too many of us are working decent paying jobs just to make ends meet watching our lives pass us by. Dream Job? You will always get a cubicle job.

If you have a support team Family etc, then see if they can help you until you get things in order. Good luck, and congrats!

Bruh, time to leave the nest.

Sell your things and move to DC and even if the internshio doesn't work out just stay there.

No reason you should be bound to Fl because mommy lives there.

all of this post...and its a networking type of town so you never know who you can meet

*i know of a place where you can park your car for $15 per week off Rhode Island Avenue, near the Big Lots if paying for parking was a concern, at least that what the sign says that you can see from the Metro  
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Bruh, time to leave the nest.

Sell your things and move to DC and even if the internshio doesn't work out just stay there.

No reason you should be bound to Fl because mommy lives there.
op if u move to dc n fall on your face i will help u if i can , #ntsticktogether @KingdomFlatbush  but i think ur best bet is to take the job n try to build 

Last edited:
I'm so conflicted man. I need this bread and I was pretty much set on just accepting the job at home

And then I get a call from my moms while I'm driving to school and all she tells me is do what I want to do and not what anyone else wants me to do :smh:

OP you're not gonna land an apartment no where other than the hood for that cheap. Also, you're not gonna land a job in a week too. It's a tough call but I feel like some of these dude's are selling you a dream. Also, like mentioned before your quality of life will be severely impacted. But if you feel like this is it, then make the move and you'll have to roll with the punches.

Back
Top Bottom