Supposedly, SF median rent for 1 bedroom apt is now $820 more than NYC

Think Zumper numbers are always inflated some but nonetheless it used to be close between SF and NYC and now its almost $1,000 difference between them

US-Rent-Report-March2019.jpg

There has to be some type of pay adjustment.

What's minimum wage in Cali and NY?

I blame out of town idiots who keep moving to SF and paying the ridiculous prices these predatory landlords are asking. NO ONE born in the Bay Area would ever pay 3K+ for a one bedroom in the Mission. Supply/demand might be part of it, but from the people I've talked to, it seems to be mostly people who move to the Bay and are down to pay anything to be in the city or get finessed by ads like "charming studio in Lower Nob Hill" "steps away from 16th and Mission"

Also, it's hilarious hearing my coworkers complain about SF prices when they can live a Caltrain/BART ride away for less money and better weather

I blame out of town idiots who keep moving to SF and paying the ridiculous prices these predatory landlords are asking. NO ONE born in the Bay Area would ever pay 3K+ for a one bedroom in the Mission. Supply/demand might be part of it, but from the people I've talked to, it seems to be mostly people who move to the Bay and get finessed by ads like "charming studio in Lower Nob Hill"

Also, it's hilarious hearing my coworkers complain about SF prices when they can live a Caltrain/BART ride away for less money and better weather

Cities like SF have to consider the consequences of laws that 'reduce' constructing highrise condos.

To what ends does it make sense to preserve these neighborhoods if the individuals that made these neighborhoods can't afford to live there?

Them transplants moved to SF and then later move to Oakland. You are going to be saying the same thing in a few years. :lol:

Oh, I know it's already happening, but thankfully most people moving to the Bay are the people who talk like "Omggg Oakland is so ghettoooo" so it's been a lot slower

Cities like SF have to consider the consequences of laws that 'reduce' constructing highrise condos.

To what ends does it make sense to preserve these neighborhoods if the individuals that made these neighborhoods can't afford to live there?

Homeowners don’t want their properties to go down in value...

Tech companies highering a bunch of people from all over the nation, paying really high wages for their skills, moving SF folks out and in turn turning SF into a totally different city.

I really dislike living here now. The only plus side is that I’m a homeowner and my house now goes for some serious money. In a couple of years it’ll be closer to 2mil.
When it hits that’s number I’ll be moving, maybe SoCal who knows. I like the idea of sunny days year round. I make well
Over 100k/yr. and it’s still not enough. Luckily the wifey also makes bread so we get “by”

Tech companies highering a bunch of people from all over the nation, paying really high wages for their skills, moving SF folks out and in turn turning SF into a totally different city.

I really dislike living here now. The only plus side is that I’m a homeowner and my house now goes for some serious money. In a couple of years it’ll be closer to 2mil.
When it hits that’s number I’ll be moving, maybe SoCal who knows. I like the idea of sunny days year round. I make well
Over 100k/yr. and it’s still not enough. Luckily the wifey also makes bread so we get “by”
Highering tho?

Isn't a part of not building up due to regulations for earthquake safety? I know there aren't such regulations for commercial spaces. But yeah every sentiment here about transplants coming in and getting played to live smack in the middle of the city is true.

Theres so much on the other side of the bridge and expansions of ferrys in Richmond + Hercules is going to make commuting to SF much more streamline in a few years. I was afraid that once a big tech company like Amazon ever builds in a place like Concord more and more will come to follow and flood the East Bay.

In any case a lot of my close circle that I grew up with are really latching onto living with the parentals for now to save money. My career lucked into big tech in the South Bay but i know a grip who are working in the non profit space in Richmond/Oakland and its just rough

I've heard that the tech companies are paying rent for multiple workers to live together or something like that. 3k for an apartment is absurd. I thought 1k was insane.

my landlord rents out 2br apts in the building for about 5k each. usually 4 ppl to the apt. cant imagine paying 1250 to share a damn room
luckily for me and a few other residents, we have rent control and pay a fraction of what she could rent it out for

Back
Top Bottom