Supposedly, SF median rent for 1 bedroom apt is now $820 more than NYC

Yeah,it's crazy out here. I got lucky, I know of a few co workers that commute from Sacramento and other areas to get to work.

It's because there's barely any two bedrooms over here. In fact, he places going up are luxurious apartments/condos with a fraction of those available for mixed income.

Just curious...for those that actually work in SF, where do you all live? What's the commute looking like?

Just curious...for those that actually work in SF, where do you all live? What's the commute looking like?
My commute isn't bad since I take the streetcar(trolley). I live in the south-eastern part(Silver Terrace/Bay View) so my commute is about 30 minutes to go 7-8 miles. With car I could get there in 15 minutes, but my job won't provide me guaranteed parking.

Oakland is gonna be a wrap when they demolish the Oakland Coliseum and Oracle Arena. (Assuming the A's get a new stadium at the port or leave the city altogether)

All that new development will gentrify the rest of the city (east side).

My commute isn't bad since I take the streetcar(trolley). I live in the south-eastern part(Silver Terrace/Bay View) so my commute is about 30 minutes to go 7-8 miles. With car I could get there in 15 minutes, but my job won't provide me guaranteed parking.

I've been to SF a couple of times, but I'm not too familiar w/ the overall layout...where you live, is that an affordable section? I'm just trying to get a feel for where the affordable sections are within the city limits, or if you have to commute a bit to get that.

Yeah, I'm right by a "hood" so hipsters are mostly ignoring it. SF is basically shaped like a square and I'm on the bottom right. My neighborhood good though, mostly chinese, hispanic, and chinese. A good mix of people.

Bay Area traffic sucks, rent is ridiculous, and home prices are outrageous. I love the Bay Area, but it has become a really irritating place to live.

I’m not staying in either unless I’m making money I can’t make anywhere else. It’s so many other places to live and 3k a month will have u living like a god.

Luckily I live and work in the city. I’m in Bernal Heights, farmers market side if you’re familiar. Lots of tech people here as it’s one of the first neighborhoods you hit as you’re driving up from the South Bay where most of the tech companies are. About 2-3 years ago I started seeing lambos and raris, Tesla’s everywhere. I guess the one positive about it is that the neighborhood has cleaned up nicely and so home prices go up.

I jump on uber most every morning cus parking at work is $300/mo lol. Instead I tell them I catch public transportation and I get reimbursed so I use that for uber.

FF26D227-49C6-441C-A06A-D69090FB69A8.jpeg
BE2AF2E9-11EB-4498-ABEE-BE2914556A39.jpeg

Last edited:

When i'm working out of the city I got a 15minute commute to the ferry that takes me to SF Ferry Station (~30min). My building is right on embarcadero so its a 5min walk from there

Since when does building new properties around your home decrease a persons property value?

As a buyer, the more options there are the lower the price you can get. But if there’s only a few houses in the neighborhood you want to be then you have to pay asking price.

Paying asking price won’t get you a house in SF. You have to outbid everyone and that typically takes a few 100 thousand more than everyone else

Tech companies highering a bunch of people from all over the nation, paying really high wages for their skills, moving SF folks out and in turn turning SF into a totally different city.

I really dislike living here now. The only plus side is that I’m a homeowner and my house now goes for some serious money. In a couple of years it’ll be closer to 2mil.
When it hits that’s number I’ll be moving, maybe SoCal who knows. I like the idea of sunny days year round. I make well
Over 100k/yr. and it’s still not enough. Luckily the wifey also makes bread so we get “by”
They probably killing you with property taxes huh?

I live in San Mateo, 25-40 mins south of my office (I put a range cause it depends on traffic, whether I take Caltrain, etc). I beat people who live in the city because of how awful public transportation is there. It's sometimes taken me almost an hour to go a few miles by MUNI (Church Station to 4th and King, which is a 15 min drive in peak traffic). It takes people 35 mins to an hour from Sunset District to downtown on the N train, and that's if it decides to show up

SF has a major traffic problem now cause of Uber and Lyft, but MUNI doesn't give residents of the city a choice. Trains/buses show up whenever they want to, and they're broken half the time, so you're always stuck in tunnels. At least if you call a car, you have a reasonable estimate of when you're going to get to your destination

Parking is extremely limited in the city but having lived/worked here for a while, I know where the unregulated parking spots are (just as a rule of thumb, park towards the top of a steep hill)

Last edited:
They probably killing you with property taxes huh?

Nah, house was purchased a while back but regardless it’s 1% of your homes value.

The new folks buying now at these outrageous prices are getting hammered tho. Consider you purchase a house for 1.5 mil. Your property taxes can be 15k/yr or more. But if you can afford 1.5mil then 15k ain’t ****.

I am from the Bay Area. I moved to a city on the outskirts of SF (Daly City) so the commute is easy to my job in SF and I’m slowly dying. I make over 100k and can’t even afford a 1 bedroom apartment. My girl and I have an extra roommate since there’s really no other option that’s even remotely affordable. We still pay over 2k in rent lol even with sharing a 2 bedroom. I had more disposable income as a teacher in a foreign country making 25k a year.

The main thing keeping me here is that if you are willing to put in time and effort a 100k job can turn into 250k within 5-10 years of hard work. I work at a tech company but not an engineer or any of those super well paid jobs. I have a bachelor, a masters, certifications and it still took me 4 years to get to 100k. I was basically making negative money until this year.

I’m also not white and I’ve lived in other states - i never felt comfortable. It’s a lot easier to feel good at work and succeed in life when you are judged on the merit of your work instead of the systemic groupthink racism that exists in a lot of other states. In my experience, there is a certain unconscious groupthink mentality when it’s predominantly one race. And at least out here I work with every race and orientation so the politics of corporate / tech is much more manageable. The downside is that everyone that comes here are such hard workers that the level of work effort is almost unreasonably high. I was working 55-60 hour weeks at a 60k job when I started out and it was commonplace for everyone to do so.

Most people know they can’t buy a house out here though. It’s the high rent that is harder on people. Not enough supply and restrictive zoning laws make it impossible for supply to catch up. It’s honestly pathetic how slow housing gets built and how slow/bad traffic and transit infrastructure is.

Back
Top Bottom