Teens are procrastinating getting Drivers licenses VOL. they BROKE

Cars are expensive AF nowadays. When I turned 18 in 2005 I could either lease an entry level whip like a Civic with a co-signer for $150-200 a month or cop a decent used car for a couple g. Those same cars are like $280-350 for a new driver with no credit, and even a used Accord that’s 5-6 years old with 60k+ mileage gonna run you close to $10k

thats cuz of da carmageddon extinction level event for autos known as cash for clunkers culled a massive number of affordable used useful cars off da road for stupid idealogical reasons that made driving a more expensive exercise for barrier of entry.

I see it a lot with the kids I work with as well. Part of me wants to say it's because we are in a bigger city so public transportation gets a lot of us from point A to point B but also ride sharing has made driving not much of a priority for teenagers.

Either way, a lot of them simply don't care about driving these days.

Thread/Comments on the topic.

less people on the road the better
if they don’t want to drive, then they shouldn’t. it’s dangerous enough

in houston everyone is forced to drive cause of the lack of public transportation and it’s the wild wild west everytime you get behind a wheel

Very true.

Cars aren’t status symbols anymore at the high school level. Kids don’t care all that much.

I see it a lot with the kids I work with as well. Part of me wants to say it's because we are in a bigger city so public transportation gets a lot of us from point A to point B but also ride sharing has made driving not much of a priority for teenagers.

Either way, a lot of them simply don't care about driving these days.

Thread/Comments on the topic.

This ignores the cost of cars in todays time compared to what we’re making.

Yup it’s a perfect storm of different things that’s leading to kids not pressed bout driving as much

It’s one of those things that us folks who came up during the pre ride share era won't understand but we gotta accept it, cuz the get your license at 16 days long gone and never coming back …Kids born this year will mostly like have the option of automated cars as well by the time their teenagers

Last edited:
It’s just a money issue, same with the delay in moving out/buying homes.
Naw it’s a tech/convenience and peer pressure issue as well…They can get wherever they want by tapping their phone screen and most of their friends aren’t driving so no rush to get behind the wheel

If you don’t need to drive a lot of people won’t. Plus a lot of young people want expanded public transportation access. I love driving for leisurely reasons but driving because I have to to conduct basic transactions sucks. When you have 8 lane highways in the middle of downtown that’s daunting even for an experienced driver. Nah man. Stop bankrupting municipalities by maintaining massive roads infrastructure and invest in denser living and public transport.

My first car cost 3x as much as my father's first car, my first rest was 3x as much as my father's. Kids just like to cry about stuff. Times are just different, theyd rather have a sneaker collection than a hooptie.

The price of used cars are insane right now. You can’t just handwave that off and say they should have copped a beater instead of some Jordan’s. :lol:
Yeah I could. Explain why I can't? Kids make 3 or 4 times what I was making when I copped my first hoopty. You can buy a car on credit just like they bought J's on credit. I know we in the coddling age but sometimes you still have to man up.

Last edited:
if i didn’t need a car, i def wouldn’t have one.
all it does is take money out my pockets.

i still do love driving it though

Yeah I ultimately think it's just a different time with the advancement of technology and ride sharing.

I'm 34 years old and personally I like to go and leave wherever I am when I want to. Only real reason I own a car. (2008 Audi A4 (S-Line) for those who are wondering what I own.

Yeah I ultimately think it's just a different time with the advancement of technology and ride sharing.

I'm 34 years old and personally I like to go and leave wherever I am when I want to. Only real reason I own a car. (2008 Audi A4 (S-Line) for those who are wondering what I own.
This, and priorities, is probably more the reason than "it's hard now."

I'm the oldest. My siblings are Gen Z.

Gen Z generation spends their money on experiences instead of tangible things like vacations, concerts, going out to eat etc just to post on social media to compete with their peers on their "cool life"

Back
Top Bottom