Texas Ranger's fan falls to his death

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

The question of whether or not the Rangers could be liable here is actually an interesting and close one I think. The issue of causation is what I was talking about. The fall 100% "caused" his death in legal terms, because it was the actual + proximate cause of his death. That means that 1) had he not fell, he wouldn't have died, and 2) death was a foreseeable result of such a fall. Definitely the case here.

But about the Rangers possibly being liable here, I don't think it's an open and shut case either way. A player threw the ball to the fan, sort of inviting an attempt to catch it. And the fan didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary in trying to catch it. He leaned over the railing like most other people would. had the railing been higher, he probably wouldn't have fell. But there is always assumption of risk in this sort of situation, it's just a matter of whether you assume the risk of falling over the railing while trying to make a fairly routine catch of a ball thrown to you by a player.

You're absolutely right that they'll probably try to settle this quietly, though.
All of that is true, but the railing is already exceeding the minimum height it needs to be, I dno what else they could do to make it safer.  It was a freak accident

The question of whether or not the Rangers could be liable here is actually an interesting and close one I think. The issue of causation is what I was talking about. The fall 100% "caused" his death in legal terms, because it was the actual + proximate cause of his death. That means that 1) had he not fell, he wouldn't have died, and 2) death was a foreseeable result of such a fall. Definitely the case here.

But about the Rangers possibly being liable here, I don't think it's an open and shut case either way. A player threw the ball to the fan, sort of inviting an attempt to catch it. And the fan didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary in trying to catch it. He leaned over the railing like most other people would. had the railing been higher, he probably wouldn't have fell. But there is always assumption of risk in this sort of situation, it's just a matter of whether you assume the risk of falling over the railing while trying to make a fairly routine catch of a ball thrown to you by a player.

You're absolutely right that they'll probably try to settle this quietly, though.
All of that is true, but the railing is already exceeding the minimum height it needs to be, I dno what else they could do to make it safer.  It was a freak accident

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

Didn't know there was a minimum height, good to know. In that case it'd probably be a much easier case.
Was this dude particularly tall? It didn't seem like he was doing anything super dangerous when he fell. I would think that minimum height for a railing would need to be set at a height where a tall person leaning over it to catch a ball wouldn't fall. The minimum height standard wouldn't totally solve the question if they could somehow attack the way it was set. 

Is it an MLB rule or specific to each club? Was it decided as a result of litigation, or just pre-cautionary by the MLB? Has it ever been challenged before? 

Man I'm strung out on caffeine studying for the bar, sorry for the obnoxious legal talk. 
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

Didn't know there was a minimum height, good to know. In that case it'd probably be a much easier case.
Was this dude particularly tall? It didn't seem like he was doing anything super dangerous when he fell. I would think that minimum height for a railing would need to be set at a height where a tall person leaning over it to catch a ball wouldn't fall. The minimum height standard wouldn't totally solve the question if they could somehow attack the way it was set. 

Is it an MLB rule or specific to each club? Was it decided as a result of litigation, or just pre-cautionary by the MLB? Has it ever been challenged before? 

Man I'm strung out on caffeine studying for the bar, sorry for the obnoxious legal talk. 
embarassed.gif

The height of Shannon Stone isn't relevant since building codes regarding railings is a one size fits all measurement.  The height is based on the safety of the average person.  You can't cater to above average height, since then your are looking down the barrell of the gun in segregating tall people

It is specific to each club, simply because different cities have different building codes.  An interesting case will be the Tangs vs. AEG/Staples.  The building was in compliance, and the family is still suing trying to blame Staples/AEG (
30t6p3b.gif
)

The height of Shannon Stone isn't relevant since building codes regarding railings is a one size fits all measurement.  The height is based on the safety of the average person.  You can't cater to above average height, since then your are looking down the barrell of the gun in segregating tall people

It is specific to each club, simply because different cities have different building codes.  An interesting case will be the Tangs vs. AEG/Staples.  The building was in compliance, and the family is still suing trying to blame Staples/AEG (
30t6p3b.gif
)

Originally Posted by BOMB SQUAD RECORDS

Seeing his lil son right there watching the whole thing makes me sick.

This could really happen to anyone. I feel so terrible for his son. Doing something special with his dad will be his last memory. And to think the dad prob just wanted to give the ball to his boy.

I know right 
tired.gif
 What happened? Neck injury when he fell? 

This could really happen to anyone. I feel so terrible for his son. Doing something special with his dad will be his last memory. And to think the dad prob just wanted to give the ball to his boy.

I know right 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by raptors29

I know right 
tired.gif
That and I believe he also went into cardiac arrest while riding in the ambulance
Persiafly- I remember seeing earlier that they have had a couple of different corporations survey their field and say it was deemed safe.  I'm not positive how many inches above the minimum requirement they are, though. They were investigated again about the railings today and cleared

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...ays-rangers-ballpark-railings-up-to-code-.ece

Here is something out of the wiki for the ballpark regarding accidents

[h2]Accidents[/h2]
On April 11, 1994, the first game at the ballpark, Hollye Minter was posing for a picture when she fell 35 feet over a railing in right field, fracturing several bones and causing the team to raise the height of the railings.[sup][6][/sup]

On July 6, 2010, firefighter Tyler Morris was trying to catch a foul ball from the front row of the second deck of the stadium when he fell 30 feet onto the section below him, causing a head injury and a severely sprained ankle to himself and minor injuries to fans he landed on.[sup][7][/sup] The game was stopped for 15 minutes while paramedics treated him.[sup][8][/sup]

On July 7, 2011, firefighter Shannon Stone was attending the Rangers game against the Oakland Athletics with his six year old son when outfielder Josh Hamilton threw him a ball as Stone had asked him.[sup][6][/sup] Reaching for the ball, Stone flipped over the railing and fell twenty feet onto the concrete behind the out-of-town scoreboard in left field.[sup][6][/sup] Stone was conscious and talking as paramedics tended to him, but he died en route to the hospital.[sup][9][/sup] The cause of death was identified as blunt force trauma.[sup][10][/sup] A moment of silence was held for Stone prior to the next day's game and both the Rangers and Athletics wore black ribbons on their uniforms and the flags at the stadium were flown at half-mast in memory of Stone.[sup][10][/sup] A tarp was placed over the opening through which Stone fell.[sup][10][/sup] Rangers team president Nolan Ryan said the height of the railings exceeds the requirement of the building codes but said the team would do "whatever it takes" to ensure the safety of the fans.[sup][11][/sup] The Rangers Foundation set up a memorial fund for Stone's family.

Originally Posted by raptors29

I know right 
tired.gif
That and I believe he also went into cardiac arrest while riding in the ambulance
Persiafly- I remember seeing earlier that they have had a couple of different corporations survey their field and say it was deemed safe.  I'm not positive how many inches above the minimum requirement they are, though. They were investigated again about the railings today and cleared

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...ays-rangers-ballpark-railings-up-to-code-.ece

Here is something out of the wiki for the ballpark regarding accidents

[h2]Accidents[/h2]
On April 11, 1994, the first game at the ballpark, Hollye Minter was posing for a picture when she fell 35 feet over a railing in right field, fracturing several bones and causing the team to raise the height of the railings.[sup][6][/sup]

On July 6, 2010, firefighter Tyler Morris was trying to catch a foul ball from the front row of the second deck of the stadium when he fell 30 feet onto the section below him, causing a head injury and a severely sprained ankle to himself and minor injuries to fans he landed on.[sup][7][/sup] The game was stopped for 15 minutes while paramedics treated him.[sup][8][/sup]

On July 7, 2011, firefighter Shannon Stone was attending the Rangers game against the Oakland Athletics with his six year old son when outfielder Josh Hamilton threw him a ball as Stone had asked him.[sup][6][/sup] Reaching for the ball, Stone flipped over the railing and fell twenty feet onto the concrete behind the out-of-town scoreboard in left field.[sup][6][/sup] Stone was conscious and talking as paramedics tended to him, but he died en route to the hospital.[sup][9][/sup] The cause of death was identified as blunt force trauma.[sup][10][/sup] A moment of silence was held for Stone prior to the next day's game and both the Rangers and Athletics wore black ribbons on their uniforms and the flags at the stadium were flown at half-mast in memory of Stone.[sup][10][/sup] A tarp was placed over the opening through which Stone fell.[sup][10][/sup] Rangers team president Nolan Ryan said the height of the railings exceeds the requirement of the building codes but said the team would do "whatever it takes" to ensure the safety of the fans.[sup][11][/sup] The Rangers Foundation set up a memorial fund for Stone's family.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

i hope the a's announcer gets fired. old bitter homer !!% hole. you know he was making fun of him on the slick tip because he was salty smh rip
Why must you always comment on things you know nothing about?

i hope the a's announcer gets fired. old bitter homer !!% hole. you know he was making fun of him on the slick tip because he was salty smh rip
Why must you always comment on things you know nothing about?

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

what?
the a's announcer was laughing at him and joking about his fall as it happend live. typical salty homer a's announcers

30t6p3b.gif

Why does it make him a 'typical salty homer a's announcer'? No one expected the man to die by him leaning over the railing to catch the ball. If anything, a Sportscenter Top 10 appearance was coming out of it. The A's announcer had no idea the man was hurt after his fall.

because they new that fall was 20 feet. 20 feet head first. this isnt the first accident in baseball where a fan fell over and was seriously hurt. you dont take things like that lightly which they did. they should have known better. they been calling games for a LONG time.

the a's announcers are always salty. i wouldnt put it past them their bitterness got the best of them..

edit:smh: ofcourse the a's fan brigade would be defending that scum bag ray fosse shame on you dudes
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom