Texas Ranger's fan falls to his death

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Originally Posted by djaward

Originally Posted by manny1

if you notice the ball was going towards the guy with the glove but the guy that fell leaned towards the ball right in front of the guy with the glove. so basically its his own fault for trying to get the ball
Might of been his sons first game. Why not end it with a souvenir. 

If that's the case then the dad could have gone to the Team Store and purchased a product from there.  Get a souvenir that way.

Not as memorable as catching a foul ball. 

second life-threatening incident this season. baseball needs a LOCKOUT, not bball or football!

RIP....

second life-threatening incident this season. baseball needs a LOCKOUT, not bball or football!

RIP....

if you notice the ball was going towards the guy with the glove but the guy that fell leaned towards the ball right in front of the guy with the glove. so basically its his own fault for trying to get the ball

If that's the case then the dad could have gone to the Team Store and purchased a product from there.  Get a souvenir that way.

Getting a ball from the team shop and catching a foul ball thrown by Josh Hamilton is nowhere near the same thing whatsoever.

Getting a ball from the team shop and catching a foul ball thrown by Josh Hamilton is nowhere near the same thing whatsoever.

actual game ball > ball purchased at the souvenir shop   

I hear everything you all are saying and of course I see the difference between a game used ball and a ball from the team store, but ultimately the guy is dead because he tried to get a game ball, cause he wanted something memorable.  Not saying he knew he could potentially be putting his life at risk when he reached over to grab the ball, but it is what it is now and it's truly unfortuante.  Always, trust me when I tell you there's nothing special about any regular ball that goes into the stands.  Be it a foul ball or a homerun ball unless it's either autographed or authenticated with a MLB sticker and number on it.        

I hear everything you all are saying and of course I see the difference between a game used ball and a ball from the team store, but ultimately the guy is dead because he tried to get a game ball, cause he wanted something memorable.  Not saying he knew he could potentially be putting his life at risk when he reached over to grab the ball, but it is what it is now and it's truly unfortuante.  Always, trust me when I tell you there's nothing special about any regular ball that goes into the stands.  Be it a foul ball or a homerun ball unless it's either autographed or authenticated with a MLB sticker and number on it.        

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Technically he didn't die because of the fall. He was still coherent. His body probably couldn't handle the shock/trauma and he went into cardiac arrest, which killed him.

It's an unfortunate situation, an anomaly and sad all around. His kid being there makes it worse.

Let's save the knee jerk reactions and criticism. Padding? Higher railings? Security? @!@% happens. Millions of people go to ballgames, this is a terrible tragedy but it will not cause any changes. The Rangers are not at fault, Josh Hamilton is not at fault and the man who lost his life is not at fault. It's an unfortunate accident.
Which law school did you go to?

Technically he didn't die because of the fall. He was still coherent. His body probably couldn't handle the shock/trauma and he went into cardiac arrest, which killed him.

It's an unfortunate situation, an anomaly and sad all around. His kid being there makes it worse.

Let's save the knee jerk reactions and criticism. Padding? Higher railings? Security? @!@% happens. Millions of people go to ballgames, this is a terrible tragedy but it will not cause any changes. The Rangers are not at fault, Josh Hamilton is not at fault and the man who lost his life is not at fault. It's an unfortunate accident.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Word, if you actually went to law school and that's the understanding of causation that you came away with... I don't even know. 
eek.gif

Word, if you actually went to law school and that's the understanding of causation that you came away with... I don't even know. 
eek.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Of course theres nothing different, its the fact it is GAME USED that makes it better.  Would you rather have ball that Jordan used in a game or just go buy one from the team store?

30t6p3b.gif

Of course theres nothing different, its the fact it is GAME USED that makes it better.  Would you rather have ball that Jordan used in a game or just go buy one from the team store?

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

i hope the a's announcer gets fired. old bitter homer !!% hole. you know he was making fun of him on the slick tip because he was salty smh rip

what?
the a's announcer was laughing at him and joking about his fall as it happend live. typical salty homer a's announcers

riiiiight
Because the announcer KNEW that the person was severely hurt and he KNEW he was going to die, right? 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

i hope the a's announcer gets fired. old bitter homer !!% hole. you know he was making fun of him on the slick tip because he was salty smh rip

what?
the a's announcer was laughing at him and joking about his fall as it happend live. typical salty homer a's announcers

riiiiight
Because the announcer KNEW that the person was severely hurt and he KNEW he was going to die, right? 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

eek.gif
Didn't go to law school,
laugh.gif

However, I'm all for Tort Reform.

The Rangers will probably break the family off with money, because these organizations avoid litigation (except Frank McCourt).  Whether they are at fault or not.  People go over railings, it happens, and you often don't hear about it because the matters are handled swiftly.  They will not fight in court because it's a bad PR move.

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

A sad example is the toddler who fell from the Staples Center suite.  Infant was 2 years old, the parents snuck into the suite and were too busy taking pictures and their toddler went over the railing,
30t6p3b.gif
.  All of a sudden Staples is at fault because of "low" railings?
laugh.gif
.  How about the parents for being reckless with their toddler.

You know who is against higher railings? Fans

True story.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

eek.gif
Didn't go to law school,
laugh.gif

However, I'm all for Tort Reform.

The Rangers will probably break the family off with money, because these organizations avoid litigation (except Frank McCourt).  Whether they are at fault or not.  People go over railings, it happens, and you often don't hear about it because the matters are handled swiftly.  They will not fight in court because it's a bad PR move.

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

A sad example is the toddler who fell from the Staples Center suite.  Infant was 2 years old, the parents snuck into the suite and were too busy taking pictures and their toddler went over the railing,
30t6p3b.gif
.  All of a sudden Staples is at fault because of "low" railings?
laugh.gif
.  How about the parents for being reckless with their toddler.

You know who is against higher railings? Fans

True story.

The question of whether or not the Rangers could be liable here is actually an interesting and close one I think. The issue of causation is what I was talking about. The fall 100% "caused" his death in legal terms, because it was the actual + proximate cause of his death. That means that 1) had he not fell, he wouldn't have died, and 2) death was a foreseeable result of such a fall. Definitely the case here.

But about the Rangers possibly being liable here, I don't think it's an open and shut case either way. A player threw the ball to the fan, sort of inviting an attempt to catch it. And the fan didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary in trying to catch it. He leaned over the railing like most other people would. had the railing been higher, he probably wouldn't have fell. But there is always assumption of risk in this sort of situation, it's just a matter of whether you assume the risk of falling over the railing while trying to make a fairly routine catch of a ball thrown to you by a player.

You're absolutely right that they'll probably try to settle this quietly, though.

The question of whether or not the Rangers could be liable here is actually an interesting and close one I think. The issue of causation is what I was talking about. The fall 100% "caused" his death in legal terms, because it was the actual + proximate cause of his death. That means that 1) had he not fell, he wouldn't have died, and 2) death was a foreseeable result of such a fall. Definitely the case here.

But about the Rangers possibly being liable here, I don't think it's an open and shut case either way. A player threw the ball to the fan, sort of inviting an attempt to catch it. And the fan didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary in trying to catch it. He leaned over the railing like most other people would. had the railing been higher, he probably wouldn't have fell. But there is always assumption of risk in this sort of situation, it's just a matter of whether you assume the risk of falling over the railing while trying to make a fairly routine catch of a ball thrown to you by a player.

You're absolutely right that they'll probably try to settle this quietly, though.

Back
Top Bottom