Thank you for helping NT donate over $4,000 to Access Books!

:smh:
smh.gif
smh.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

At thinkin' NT pay server fees.

The only fees niketalk is paying are the gold fees which is due every 6 months.

but i guess the donation is good, eh, atleast it's going to a lobbyist

smh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Quote:
Meth - I'm just wondering how you arrived at this charity. I believe you live in Maryland. So how did you come about this charity in California?
Also, what's wrong with The Human Fund? It's people helping people.
Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America, which came out back in 2005. For those who haven't yet read it, I highly recommend it. It's a particularly important read given the upcoming Supreme Court cases on school integration efforts - which could permit an effective REVERSAL of Brown v. Board. (There's a march scheduled in DC on Dec. 4th, by the way, and I'll be posting more about that in the DC regional forum soon for those interested.)

I have been an admirer of Access Books since that time and I certainly had it, and many other charities, in mind when we developed the concept for NikeTalk as a fundraising organization. I may live on the opposite coast, but that really doesn't matter to me. I just want to see us utilize this unique opportunity to help wonderful organizations like Access Books perform their important work. The goal here isn't simply to give to those causes that DIRECTLY benefit us or those we know, but to support those causes working for genuine good.

As Samuel Johnson, whose words Dr. King so famously paraphrased, once wrote: "An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere."

Quote:
Meth, have you considered letting people know where you plan on donating a month a head of time?
Reason being, a certain charity may in fact stick out to a member who otherwise wouldn't click an ad.

The problem is, that works the other way, too. Someone can say to themselves, "Oh, this charity awards minority scholarships... I don't care about that. I'll wait until they pick one that I DO care about and THEN I'll click." What we're looking to do is to encourage our members to click regularly not just to support causes they care about, but to support causes important to their fellow members as well. We should all be working together.

We can't expect EVERYONE to be 100% thrilled with every single charity we select, but we certainly hope that everyone WILL be thrilled with at least one charity every few months. So, the goal is to have some of the skeptics say, "Ok, so this month's charity may go to help inner city schools in LA and I live in ________, but that's ok because it's a good cause, a lot of my fellow members DO care about it, and I know they'll choose something else next month."

We don't want it to be a simple matter of majority rule, because then minority interests would be overlooked. What we'd like is to make sure that we're all pulling for one another and working to increase our earnings EVERY MONTH, not just within those months when we select the most popular cause out there.

Quote:
trying. We truly hope to improve as the months go by - and each one of you can help us accomplish this - but it should go without saying that if more individuals and organizations tried as hard as we have to use our resources in a positive and socially responsible way, this world would be a much better place.

You can tell me that we're capable of raising more money (and the extent to which that would HARM the community experience through pop-ups, interstitial ads, etc. is certainly a matter of debate) but at this point we can't possibly give a larger PERCENTAGE of our income than we're giving now.

Quote:

Lobbyist? Not this nonsense again.... 90% of the money Access Books takes in goes straight to school libraries. Feel free to check up on them if you like. In doing so, I'm confident that you'll come away just as impressed with their operation as I am.

We'll choose a different charity next month, but personally speaking I'd love for our program to revisit Access Books perhaps a year or so from now once back to school time rolls around and help them supply a different library.

Quote:
Meth - I'm just wondering how you arrived at this charity. I believe you live in Maryland. So how did you come about this charity in California?
Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America, which came out back in 2005. For those who haven't yet read it, I highly recommend it. It's a particularly important read given the upcoming Supreme Court cases on school integration efforts - which could permit an effective REVERSAL of Brown v. Board. (There's a march scheduled in DC on Dec. 4th, by the way, and I'll be posting more about that in the DC regional forum soon for those interested.)

I have been an admirer of Access Books since that time and I certainly had it, and many other charities, in mind when we developed the concept for NikeTalk as a fundraising organization. I may live on the opposite coast, but that really doesn't matter to me. I just want to see us utilize this unique opportunity to help wonderful organizations like Access Books perform their important work. The goal here isn't simply to give to those causes that DIRECTLY benefit us or those we know, but to support those causes working for genuine good.

As Samuel Johnson, whose words Dr. King so famously paraphrased, once wrote: "An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere."

Quote:
Meth, have you considered letting people know where you plan on donating a month a head of time?
Reason being, a certain charity may in fact stick out to a member who otherwise wouldn't click an ad.

The problem is, that works the other way, too. Someone can say to themselves, "Oh, this charity awards minority scholarships... I don't care about that. I'll wait until they pick one that I DO care about and THEN I'll click." What we're looking to do is to encourage our members to click regularly not just to support causes they care about, but to support causes important to their fellow members as well. We should all be working together.

We can't expect EVERYONE to be 100% thrilled with every single charity we select, but we certainly hope that everyone WILL be thrilled with at least one charity every few months. So, the goal is to have some of the skeptics say, "Ok, so this month's charity may go to help inner city schools in LA and I live in ________, but that's ok because it's a good cause, a lot of my fellow members DO care about it, and I know they'll choose something else next month."

We don't want it to be a simple matter of majority rule, because then minority interests would be overlooked. What we'd like is to make sure that we're all pulling for one another and working to increase our earnings EVERY MONTH, not just within those months when we select the most popular cause out there.

Quote:
trying. We truly hope to improve as the months go by - and each one of you can help us accomplish this - but it should go without saying that if more individuals and organizations tried as hard as we have to use our resources in a positive and socially responsible way, this world would be a much better place.

You can tell me that we're capable of raising more money (and the extent to which that would HARM the community experience through pop-ups, interstitial ads, etc. is certainly a matter of debate) but at this point we can't possibly give a larger PERCENTAGE of our income than we're giving now.

Quote:

Lobbyist? Not this nonsense again.... 90% of the money Access Books takes in goes straight to school libraries. Feel free to check up on them if you like. In doing so, I'm confident that you'll come away just as impressed with their operation as I am.

We'll choose a different charity next month, but personally speaking I'd love for our program to revisit Access Books perhaps a year or so from now once back to school time rolls around and help them supply a different library.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, so let me get this straight. Whatever we don't spend on server fees goes to the charity?
TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

Ok, so let me get this straight. Whatever we don't spend on server fees goes to the charity?
TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

TEAM OAKLAND A'S
THE CATFISH

Back
Top Bottom