The 10 Best Video Games of the Last Five Years (As Per Complex)

I don't know. Some real hit and miss on this list for me

Mass Effect 2, but not 1? Maybe it was just me, but ME 1 was the only one that had a cohesive narrative and a semi-worthwhile RPG element. I invested in ME 1 heavily from start to finish. Never even completed 2, and didn't buy 3

And to omit any Arkham games is a real mistake. I loved both Asylum and City, but I would say that Asylum was a tighter more driven experience. It truly felt like I was Batman on a harrowing night.

Finally, I know its kind of buggy, but Skyrim has been one of those few games were I keep getting the urge to go back and play more of my character, even years after the game came out, and THERE'S STILL NEW STUFF! SKyrim is the kind of game I didn't think was possible 10-15 years ago. A game where the story was almost inconsequential. Where I could sink over a hundred hours of just wandering around and making my own story and having my own, unscripted adventures.

RDR at the top is correct though. Id like to see Rockstar continue to explore different time periods. Not with REd Dead of course (keep that old west). But Id love to see a return to 80's Miami, or 70's NYC, or late 60's San Fran, something along those lines. Contemporary Liberty City in IV was fine, but contemporary Los Santos in V was getting a little tired. The social satire was pretty weak I felt, and not humorous the way VIce City was

Last of Us, Uncharted 2, MGSIV, Portal 2 :pimp:

Last edited:
Never even heard of Hotline Miami. And is Red Dead THAT good? I want to play some of the ones I missed out on before I make the next gen transition. MGS4 would've been my no. 1 though.

Im so not a gamer anymore..

I've only played 2 games on the list. :frown:

Oh, and Injustice could've made the list too.
laugh.gif
No.

Grand Theft Auto V should not have been on the list. Media still on that honeymoon.

If any Batman was going to be on the list, it would have been Arkham Asylum.
And is Red Dead THAT good?
Rockstar's best game this generation.

Last edited:

I've only played 2 games on the list.
frown.gif
lemme guess, you don't play PS3.

Uncharted 2 and Last of Us are definite plays even for the most casual gamers.  I wouldve added MGS to that list, but you gotta be pretty committed to play that game.

A list like this has to be divided into single and multiplayer oriented games, if its done straight up, no mutliplayer games should be making the list. They arent as immersive as single player games and of course thats how this list played out.

I hate Mass Effect, but the vast majority loves it so whatever.

LOL at GTA V being so high, come on people. Every Uncharted game and Last of Us was better than GTA V. Almost all the games on the list are better than GTA V. Dudes are drunk.

Where is Skyward Sword? Where is one of the Batman games? I never got into Portal that and Mass Effect could have been dropped for those two.

Never played Hotline Miami

Last edited:
What's the list?
Lets pray its not in order:

10. Dark Souls
9. Mass Effect 2
8.Uncharted 2
7.Hotline Mimai
6. Metal Gear Solid 4
5.Portal
4.Bioshock Infinite
3. The Last of Us.
2 Grand Theft Auto V
1. Red Dead Redemption.

And is Red Dead THAT good? I want to play some of the ones I missed out on before I make the next gen transition.

I think it was that good, but let me make a tiny checklist to help:

Do you love Westerns?
- RDR is by far the best Western/Cowboy game ever made. Tons of style, locations, weapons, outfits, missions, mini-games to satisfy almost any Clint Eastwood dream you've ever had

Do you love free-roam?
- Riding the plains, meeting strangers to rob/murder or rescue. play poker, make campsites etc. Not only was RDR the pinnacle of GTA style open world when it released, but in a lot of ways, I actually feel like the world was more alive and interactive than GTAV. Coming across a random NPC in RDR is way more satisfying than just a random pedestrian in GTAV.

If you don't love GTA, or don't love Westerns, than it might not seem that great, especially 3 years later, but I think it still worth a play at such a cheap price today

I've only played 2 games on the list. :frown:
lemme guess, you don't play PS3.

Uncharted 2 and Last of Us are definite plays even for the most casual gamers.  I wouldve added MGS to that list, but you gotta be pretty committed to play that game.

No, PS3 is all I play.

I dunno, I'm real picky. I have certain franchises that I mess with and I ONLY mess with them(Metal Gear, GTA, Gran Turismo, 2K and Tekken, thats it.)

Its a lot of games I want to play but they're 2 o3 sequels in and I feel like I'm just too late. Others, I'm just no interested in, no matter how good the reviews are, they just dont look like something I want to play. Last of Us looks like something I would play, just haven't had a chance. No more Blockbuster.:frown:

Absolutely no argument with the top 3.

Red Dead still to this day is the greatest single player game i've ever played.

Dark Souls and Hotline Miami?

Nicely done Complex.

Last edited:
Only serves to remind me how far out of the gaming loop I am :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom